1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by musicheaven, Aug 31, 2013.
First

Back
488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497
499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508
Next

Last
  1. Hellkitchen

[​IMG] give us update as soon as you can. I hope they'll ship a new unit for you soon.

2. teaough
    Yeah - it might be interesting to others how iBasso deals with defective units.  I'm certainly interested to find out.  China is a long way from Upstate New York (USA).  :)

3. Hellkitchen
    I live in Italy instead :)

Surprisingly Fedex priority (bought on MP4 Nation) was really fast and my 9th batch is arrived in Italy today and the estimated delivery is on monday or tuesdey. Anyway things could be long in the case of a defective unit..

So keep us updated :)

4. jojomax
    Yeahhh :wink: Waiting Ibasso next day!

5. Jpfe8851
    What a great useful post... doing this now!!! I knew there were these extended tags but not taken the time to clean them out.

6. DrGonzo

Glad this is working out for you, but I feel like you quoted me in my posts earlier and somewhat criticized me for recommending doing pretty much the same thing.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you. I know it has worked for me.

7. cooperpwc

I'm about 500 posts behind - no time until today to upgrade to 1.2.5. I just did and the Factory Reset went without a hitch after the upgrade. Maybe the file I downloaded yesterday (DX50FW_V1.2.5) is further updated? 

Way to early to conclude anything but it does seem to be part way between 1.2.2 and 1.2.3beta. I have been listening to 1.2.2 right through to this morning and the soundstage is wider and airier with the upgrade. However it also seems that it may have retained some of the the "soul" that went AWOL on 1.2.3beta. So far, I am cautiously optimistic....

8. cooperpwc

Drool!

9. cooperpwc
    Okay, now I am starting to get excited. The jangly leading edges on acoustic guitar that I disliked in 1.2.3beta are not present in 1.2.5. Folk is sounding very good. It's not quite as warm and full as 1.2.2 but it is more open I believe, rendering space and detail in the soundstage nicely.

So far 1.2.5 is sounding clean and neutral to my ears. (Rig: DX50 > Pico Power > Heaven VI)

10. highfell
    Day 3 of the DX50 and my experiences of the new machine.

Having taken out unnecessary tags, I realised that I had lost some artwork again, so I just decided to copy my music from iTunes unedited and have encountered no problems at all. I have copied 40g across so far, which are my based on my favourite artists and albums, to a new sandisk 64g card. So I reckon Ibasso have got rid of most of the scanning bugs by now, as my music has come from many sources and the tags are very inconsistent.

I have decided to use the internal memory of the player to swap in & out my less played music and keep my SD micro card relatively unchanged.

Onto to the music playing capability - it's pretty good isn't it? I have been listening to it through Sennheiser 600 over the weekend. And it has performed brilliantly across Led Zeppelin, Yes, Riverside (Polish band) and Vivaldi with great 3d soundstage, clarity, with a good depth of bass as well as producing a lovely warm almost tubey sound. I am now using it with UE Fi pros on my commute to work - no hiss, just near to perfection.

As mentioned before my first impression was that I could really tell the difference between using the Dx50 on its own or with the GS Voyager on the Sennheiser 600s. After more in depth A/B testing, I still can't, well not enough to justify keeping the GSV. It maybe has a little more warmth, but less detail but too be honest I am not sure I could really tell.

So I there is no point keeping the GSV and I have decided to buy a Leckerton UHA 6S mkii with the tubey OP 627s, which I snapped up on eBay yesterday. My logic was that the amp has had great reviews, it's not too price prohibitive, and I could try the coaxial out on the Dx50 and I can even roll the OPamps as well.

To sum up, I think my expectations were well managed by all the beta testers on this forum here, so thanks. What I expected to find was a player that has a few quirks, and whose interface might be a bit glitchy compared to my IPod classic, but that the the player's musicality would win out and that is what I have found.

11. highfell

Cool - thanks for taking the time & very helpful . I didn't read your first response clearly enough in that you had a UHA 4 and not a UHA 6 and therefore coudn't test the coaxial side.

Anyway I have decided to go ahead and buy it.

12. Jpfe8851
    You've completely misunderstood me. I certainly did not intend to criticise you if you took it that way. You should be commended for trying to help out. 

I am not sure if you've been reading this thread since the beginning so you may also have missed my many posts about cleaning tags and so on in the same effort as you to help others overcome the apparent inconsistent scan times and so on of the DX. I also totally agree that iBasso is to be commended for taking the time and effort to remedy them. But that doesn't mean I should forgive them for the time it's cost me fiddling with files that worked perfectly well on their sister DAP the DX100.

My earlier comment that you thought I was being critical of you was to purely say that with so many competitively priced and some not so competitively priced DAPs on the market each with their idiosyncracies, we (that is you AND I) should not be forced into all these hoops and hurdles to get a player to simply list our albums and show the songs without having to reformat our files every time we get a new one. I've got or had a DX100, DX50, AK100, RWAK100 and a Sony Z-1070, plus Android phones and iPhones and iPads and iPods, Rockboxed and standard. AND everyone of them I have had to go through this process of adding tags deleting tags, changing artwork from embedded to folder.jpg insertions.

Wouldn't it be nice to just load up the music and have the thing display and play? 

No, definitely no criticism intended...  just pointing out that none of us should have to do this when digital music standards have been around for over a decade and reading files should be sorted out by now. 

13. Gitbags
    Same issue, same batch :frowning2: mines going back today. 

14. jaganeee
    * is dx50 shows battery indicator with remaining percentage.
    * is there any low battery status indicator.

15. cooperpwc
    Not to get too enthusiastic but... I just had my best day ever with the DX50. I walked all over Hong Kong listening to my DX50 (1.2.5) + Pico Power + Heaven VI rig. These components have great synergy and it was just a pleasure. This is my read of the recent evolution of the DX50 firmware: 1.2.2 was highly euphonic but a bit close around the head. 1.2.3beta had deep grinding bass but jangly treble and the soundstage, while very wide was not well integrated. There was a sense of artificial separation of the centre sounds and the out-there periphery sounds. 1.2.5, at least with my rig, has great coherence from left to right and also a nice 3D quality on the periphery. It is not as overtly euphonic as 1.2.2 but since I am using one of the most euphonic IEMs out there, it is a better source to bring the natural qualities of the Heaven VI to life. The bass is not quite as strong as 1.2.3beta but I find it to be well balanced. Again I am enjoying great synergy as the Pico Power already produces deep detailed bass; the DX50 with 1.2.5 is a nice clean source to feed it.

I had a great day of music. 

Actually I did a comparison with the AK120 headphone out at Jaben and with the same song: Suck My Kiss by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, both with the Heaven VI. (I think that the song on the AK120 was higher resolution too; mine is a Lame 320 CBR MP3.) The AK120 had nothing on my rig and frankly the tight bass slam of the DX50 + Pico Power blew the AK120 away. Much of that would be attributable to the Pico Power but I otherwise saw no advantage to the AK120's sound. I thought my rig was as good or better across the board. The DX50 really is a very good source to feed a top-end amp and - to my taste with my equipment - it has never sounded better than with 1.2.5.

Happy.  :)

DeepGroove likes this.
First

Back
488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497
499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508
Next

Last