The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #721 of 18,652
posted another bug found~ and emailed to ibasso as well.

this is for those who plan to get a s3 battery charger to charge spare battery~the battery indicator is somehow acting silly again~

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680472/dx50-bug-list-wish-list-fix/60#post_9789309

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #725 of 18,652
Do I sense the modder in you lol, sounds like a project
gs1000.gif
may want to call it the DxMod
biggrin.gif

I will get my hands on it only if I know there is a way to mod the toy. There got be some dc blocking caps between the dac and the line out - right? I saw those cylinders in the pics and wondering if they are the caps which can be replaced.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #726 of 18,652
  I'm a little on the fence with this one. I don't have the patience (or skills) to faff about with changing tags, so won't be ordering this until the firmware is solid, particularly as my music is in iTunes right now. Supposing that this does get fixed though, is this for me? 

- Will it pair well with my Momentums do you think? 

- Is it really going to be significantly better than my HTC One with Player Pro or Neutron? Which, by the way, has no issues with copying files from my Mac!

- I also use a 5th Gen iPod hooked up via a dock to a Marantz amp and KEF Q35 speakers. Works pretty well. Will the DX50 sound better than the iPod? And if so, does anyone know if there is a suitable dock available or planned?

Sorry, these questions are a little bit specific, but your advice, as ever, would be much appreciated!

not sure if it has been highlighted, DX50 has problems with mac osx system files that starts with "._" . My suggestion would be to do a quick scan through of the files in your micro sdcard and just delete off the "._" files as they are redundant files (safe to delete, won't destroy any music files). Obviously the firmware is still buggy cos some of my audio files can't be played (have to check if the problem lies with my ID tags).

Despite all these quirks, i really do enjoy my dx50 and for its price, it's really a fantastic device. Currently i prefer it over my studio v 3rd anniversary player. :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #729 of 18,652
I will get my hands on it only if I know there is a way to mod the toy. There got be some dc blocking caps between the dac and the line out - right? I saw those cylinders in the pics and wondering if they are the caps which can be replaced.

Yeah looks like some ugly electrolytic :evil:, so maybe there is some possible redemption here :beerchug:

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #730 of 18,652

Despite all these quirks, i really do enjoy my dx50 and for its price, it's really a fantastic device. Currently i prefer it over my studio v 3rd anniversary player. :)

Interesting. I find the 3rd Anv I have to be very transparent and to be a very good sounding player. This bodes well for the DX50. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #731 of 18,652
Yeah looks like some ugly electrolytic
evil_smiley.gif
, so maybe there is some possible redemption here
beerchug.gif

I am interested in that dac and also that dedicated line out to external amp. Can you measure if any dc offset from that line out? BTW, what interconnect are you using for amping?

Now you need to open it and confirm those ugly electrolytic's.
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #732 of 18,652
Got mine in today.  Couple things.  

• How do you "play all"?  Everytime i go into All Music, and select one, it just plays that one song.  
  • I played with it for about 15 mins total so far after charging it up and loading in all flac... already froze once and the screen went all crazy.  Had to battery pull.
  • With my 4.Ai, theres a noticeable amount of hiss on all gain levels... very disappointing. 
  • Build quality is good.  I liked the AK build quality better but that is to be expected at 3 times the price.  

If the "play all" issue has been addressed previously, I do apologize.  Thank you.

I also have not figured out how to play all titles. Not only that, the FWD and BACK buttons do not work properly either in "Order" or "Random" except if just playing one album at a time. I have not been able to find a Playlist menu item, even though there is a option shown to add a file to a Playlist. Nor have I located a Search feature.

I have had no freezes or any other problem other than that listed above, but I am certain I will discover more UI issues.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #733 of 18,652
I am interested in that dac and also that dedicated line out to external amp. Can you measure if any dc offset from that line out? BTW, what interconnect are you using for amping?

Now you need to open it and confirm those ugly electrolytic's. :wink_face:

I don't think there should be any appreciable DC output on those, it's there to safely connect to other devices. Once I got a chance I am going to use an opened connector and measure the voltage. :wink:

The interconnect I use is an home made with the same wires than my imod, it served me well so I figure I can use the same.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #734 of 18,652

Look forward to your comparison with your DX100 and the RWA iMod.

So far the one I got is working fairly well. Once I get a nice 64gb card loaded with flac's we'll see how they do against each other. 

But I will say this...for the price...the sound is ass kicking. Yeah there are glitches, but hell...we are the guinea pigs...

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #735 of 18,652
  not sure if it has been highlighted, DX50 has problems with mac osx system files that starts with "._" . My suggestion would be to do a quick scan through of the files in your micro sdcard and just delete off the "._" files as they are redundant files (safe to delete, won't destroy any music files). Obviously the firmware is still buggy cos some of my audio files can't be played (have to check if the problem lies with my ID tags).

Could you give a little more detail as to why you like it more than the Studio V 3rd Anniversary ? What are the differences in signature ? Is the background quieter than the Studio ?

Thanks very much if you reply...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back