The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #706 of 18,652
  got mine around 1pm, charged it, tried it with a sd card, heard a slight but audible background noise with my jh13, packed and sold it around 4pm.
none shall hiss!

Well, that was short lived, if I don't say so myself. 
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #707 of 18,652
DHL finally decided to deliver mine at 7pm EST. 

So far, it has failed my first test.  I put a live recording in FLAC format with absolutely no ID3 tags at all on a microSD card.  Once in the DX50, I searched for the files under: Directory > SD Card. 

The ID3-less FLAC files show up in the DX50's directory amongst other FLAC and mp3 files that are tagged. They appear normal in the directory.  However, DX50 refuses to play the ID3-less files at all.  When you tap on any of those files, it says "Media scanning..." on the screen for about one second, then the screen reverts back to showing the last (tagged) file it played.  But no audio plays at all.  Very dissapointing. 

Has anyone else gotten the DX50 to play un-tagged files?

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #708 of 18,652
another example:

deep dish George is on:

1. Floating
2. Sacramento
3. Flashdance
4. Swallow Me
5. Awake Enough
6. Everybody’s Wearing My Head
7. Say Hello
8. Dreams (Feat.Stevie Nicks)
9. Dub Shepherd
10. Sergio’s Theme
11. In Love With a Friend
12. Sexy Ill
13. Bagels

14. No Stopping for Nicotine (Floating)

I've re-named tracks 6 & 10 to remove the '

they show in the list of tracks, when I play the album it skips them by so 5 jumps to 7 and 9 to 11

Have you tried rescanning / update the DB since the file renamed?

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #709 of 18,652
This thing needs a proper case. The X3 has one...

Yeah the pouch ain't going to do it, I am so careful placing it on the table afraid of scratching it. :frowning2:

One more thing it does, you can scrape your skin and fingernail easily on the bottom edge of the player. I think I found myself a nail filler in case of emergency. :D

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #710 of 18,652
Reading through this thread I'm starting to wonder if quality control is an issue with the contracted factory iBasso contracted to build the DX50. Thus far, I've read impressions from people that seem to be all over the map. Some people are having absolutely no problems while others can't seem to use the player an hour without something going wrong. I expected bugs but never so many different early findings that are all over the place.

If there are hardware variations or DoA etc then it would seems to be QA issue. Imho the difference in our experiences with the dx50 relates to a larger extend the user's experience with these "audiophile" DAPs. It seems peple coming directly from say mac itune+i-devices are having the most difficulties. I went thru the same steeper curve when moving from IPC/iphone/Note to dx100, then a lesser extend from dx100 to ak100, to almost no isses from ak100 to ak120 and now dx50. These seems to be file/tag driven more than anything. Of course I would have liked these DAP to be as smart as a smartphone and handle these filenames/tag as smoothly.

There are a few key issues to be solved: korean characters, certain japanese characters in some encoding (some actually show up fine), special characters, file ordering after edits/name change, support for higher bit rates via coax out.

I think I am less frustrated with others as I came from much more expensive players with similar issues. Below are a couple comparison with the 1400 AK120 that had been released for 4+ month with a lot of UI development based on AK100 that is released for almost a year and selling great in Japan, guess what? Jap chars thay shows in AK120 also shows in DX50, chars NOT showing on dx50 is also NOT showing on AK120.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #712 of 18,652
Is someone going to post a small video on this, still looking for it on u-tube. Also patiently waiting for a comparison to the X3. I know eneryone is enjoying the hell out of them but share the love for those who are waiting for there arrival. Also I would like some recommendations on what IEMs you are preferring.:)

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #714 of 18,652
Does anyone understand what the settings in the Settings > Gapless menu mean?  There are three options:

Close
5 sec
10 sec

"Close" apparently means gapless is turned off (no idea why anyone would ever want it off) and "5 sec" and "10 sec" apparently switch it on.  But what is the dfference between "5 sec" and "10 sec" gapless mode? 

Does it have to do with the amount of buffer memory or something? 

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #718 of 18,652
I'm a little on the fence with this one. I don't have the patience (or skills) to faff about with changing tags, so won't be ordering this until the firmware is solid, particularly as my music is in iTunes right now. Supposing that this does get fixed though, is this for me? 

- Will it pair well with my Momentums do you think? 

- Is it really going to be significantly better than my HTC One with Player Pro or Neutron? Which, by the way, has no issues with copying files from my Mac!

- I also use a 5th Gen iPod hooked up via a dock to a Marantz amp and KEF Q35 speakers. Works pretty well. Will the DX50 sound better than the iPod? And if so, does anyone know if there is a suitable dock available or planned?

Sorry, these questions are a little bit specific, but your advice, as ever, would be much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back