The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #7,231 of 18,652
To all microSD card owners, getting a card reader is worth every penny. I got myself a USB 3.0 compatible card reader and was able to increase throughput by a factor of 3 connecting it to a USB 3.0 port. Another thing I discovered, I have an older microSD SDHC card and the DX50 refuses to read it even on the OTG line. My two SDXC SanDisk cards work fine either through theDX50 or card
reader. I formatted one of them as exFat quick format and it worked flawlessly.

Hope everything is fine with yours.

Hi musicheaven, is it a must to format a sdxc 64gb card to Fat32. I might be mistaken but thought someone wrote that it could be use out of the box without a need for formatting. Thanks.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #7,232 of 18,652
  Updated my review with the v1.2.5 firmware. Was not impressed at all.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-dx50-dap/reviews/96I

I've heard a number of conflicting reports about the sound of the v1.2.5 firmware and having gone from 1.2.2 to 1.2.5 I have to say your description mirrors my thoughts exactly, I like the extended highs and lows of 1.2.5 but the small sound stage and lack of separation is a deal breaker.  Does anyone have a link to the 1.2.3 firmware, seems from the descriptions this may be better suited to my tastes. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #7,233 of 18,652
  I've heard a number of conflicting reports about the sound of the v1.2.5 firmware and having gone from 1.2.2 to 1.2.5 I have to say your description mirrors my thoughts exactly, I like the extended highs and lows of 1.2.5 but the small sound stage and lack of separation is a deal breaker.  Does anyone have a link to the 1.2.3 firmware, seems from the descriptions this may be better suited to my tastes. 

http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX50Firmware_V1.2.3beta.zip

Here is the link. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #7,236 of 18,652
Hi musicheaven, is it a must to format a sdxc 64gb card to Fat32. I might be mistaken but thought someone wrote that it could be use out of the box without a need for formatting. Thanks.

Just jumping in. There is no need to format cards as FAT32 with DX50. Anything that supports SDXC must support ExFAT. It's a requirement of the SDXC and microSDXC specifications. You're better off using ExFAT anyway. Flash memory operates faster and lasts longer with ExFAT than with FAT32. SanDisk 64GB card w/ ExFAT here. Works fine.

That said, there have been some issues with the default partition layouts on some cards. Delete the stock partition table and create a new one with diskpart on Windows, Disk Utility on Macintosh, or fdisk/gdisk on Linux. Format as ExFAT (easy on Windows or Macintosh, not so easy on Linux). Copy your music over.

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #7,238 of 18,652
Just jumping in. There is no need to format cards as FAT32 with DX50. Anything that supports SDXC must support ExFAT. It's a requirement of the SDXC and microSDXC specifications. You're better off using ExFAT anyway. Flash memory operates faster and lasts longer with ExFAT than with FAT32. SanDisk 64GB card w/ ExFAT here. Works fine.

That said, there have been some issues with the default partition layouts on some cards. Delete the stock partition table and create a new one with diskpart on Windows, Disk Utility on Macintosh, or fdisk/gdisk on Linux. Format as ExFAT (easy on Windows or Macintosh, not so easy on Linux). Copy your music over.

Glad you jumped in ratinox. So, what you meant is that it could be used straight out of the box but could be better by creating our own partition to avoid issues which may occur. Have a window 7 laptop with an sdhc card in the card reader but not so sure which would be the stock partition to remove. Haha, tech noob here and will appreciate some guidance. If possible, hope you don't mind pm me a simple step by step instruction to get it done. My card should be here in a couple of days. Thanks in advance.

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7,240 of 18,652
Can someone explain to me how they modify the sound output from the DAC circuitry through to the amp with software?

DAC chip has some bult-in filtration ability...and they can tune it...it's at first..

second.. before u can put stream of bits into DAC, u must uncompress it...in spite of "loseless" nature of flac, there could be any errors in math which can affect on sound

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #7,241 of 18,652
Nov 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #7,243 of 18,652
Glad you jumped in ratinox. So, what you meant is that it could be used straight out of the box but could be better by creating our own partition to avoid issues which may occur. Have a window 7 laptop with an sdhc card in the card reader but not so sure which would be the stock partition to remove. Haha, tech noob here and will appreciate some guidance. If possible, hope you don't mind pm me a simple step by step instruction to get it done. My card should be here in a couple of days. Thanks in advance.

Leo.  I will jump in too.  I bought a 64G uSD card specifically for my DX50.  Opened it from the package.  Popped it in the built in slot of my computer.  Copied files and plugged it into dx50.  It worked and has worked for about a month.  My thought is that I'm not going to mess with anything until it doesn't work.  I am not familiar with partition manipulation at this time.  I have 4th batch and still running 1.2.2.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #7,244 of 18,652
I've at last identified the cause of the long scan times and since 1.2.5, the 3-4 minute media scanning screen at boot time. I've been in the habit of embedding my album art in each file since iPod days. I ran a test removing the album art and leaving a folder.jpg copy in each album folder (with the track files) and found that the DX50 will display the album art. Took the next step and removed all artwork from the track files on the MicroSD card and voila... Scan time for a full 64gb card is halved to just under 10 minutes and the media scan at boot time down to and acceptable 20 seconds although I still don't understand why this scan is ther because it doesn't seem to do anything. I changed a couple files and added a jpg to an album folder that I missed but none of the changes registered without a full rescan of the card. Anyway, that's one more thing fixed. Although not technically a bug, iBasso did not offer a solution. They simply said they could not emulate my issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back