The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #16,066 of 18,652

Hi!

well, that is because the DX50 is currently really offered with a substantial discount. Anyhow. I only have the DX50 and in my blind test with the AK100 Mk1 and Mk2 and X5 it held up very well actually. Is the DX90 worth it... I would say, it depends.

If you use it out and about the DX50 has substantial longer battery life.

If you value sounquality above all else, go with the DX90.

Cheers,
K

Hmmm DX90 sound quality beat the DX50,
if you score SQ DX90 is 80 then how about DX50? ..70 or 60?

note:
Score 10(bad) to 100 (best)

Oh man, tough question, how should one quantize this. Also depends on the headphones you are listening to. The DX90 is the better amp, by 10% or 5% maybe 20% but that means nothing. For some a 1% increase in sound quality is worth thousands of dollars and for some a 20% increase is not worth $10. I really can't say. The DX90 is better, but I never felt the need to upgrade from my DX50 to the DX90, I went to X5 and then AK100 (and gloveaudio) .

Cheers,
K

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #16,067 of 18,652
Hello everyone. I just use dx50 for a week and enjoy it so much with PK2 Mod + SU 1.4 which you guys recommended in this forum (tried 1.3.3 already but I prefer 1.4)

However, now I have a question about importing a playlist from Foobar. I tried it many times but failed. So may I ask for a help from you guys here to import a playlist?

Now my songs are in both SD card and internal memory, both place divided like this: SD Card -> (Folder) Japan / Western -> (Folder) Artist -> (Folder) Album -> Songs

I tried create a playlist from a songs in SD card and save them as m3u at root folder of SD card but when I open it with DX50 it has no song in a playlist. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #16,068 of 18,652
With SU access the hidden bootup menu and import playlist (don`t remember atm if 1.4 had it or only 1.3.3).
Did You try different setting from bootup menu with 1.3.3 ?

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #16,069 of 18,652
  With SU access the hidden bootup menu and import playlist (don`t remember atm if 1.4 had it or only 1.3.3).
Did You try different setting from bootup menu with 1.3.3 ?

SU 1.4 doesn't have import playlist in hidden menu like 1.3.3. And yes I try irrc off/default cpu and irrc on/312 cpu with 1.3.3 but still prefer 1.4 with irrc off/default cpu.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #16,070 of 18,652

SU 1.4 doesn't have import playlist in hidden menu like 1.3.3. And yes I try irrc off/default cpu and irrc on/312 cpu with 1.3.3 but still prefer 1.4 with irrc off/default cpu.

Playing back and forth between the two FW"s 1.3.3 and 1.4, it seemed to me 1.4 may be clearer or maybe more detailed then 1.3.3 but I'm going to do a real a/b tonight when my buddy comes in town.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #16,071 of 18,652
I did A/B (sorry not AB, just comparing FW`s with same test tracks. AB requires 2x DX50 which I don`t have) testing between them and with my gear/ears main difference was soundstage and imaging. 1.4 soundstage is pushed bit more into front and bit more narrow. With 1.3.3 @ flac/iir off/cpu default I found better separation, transparency and soundstage more "evenly" spread out and also going further back of head. I feel more inside and surrounded by music with 1.3.3 but I guess every person comes to its own conclusion... it`s mostly about gear, ears and taste. And those differences are actually quite tiny, nothing big.
But I definitely prefer 1.3.3 
biggrin.gif

Btw, after burning-in lot of different capacitors I have finally come to conclusion and decision that works best for my ears and gear - Panasonic FC - huge soundstage, superb separation, very balanced and dynamic sound. Also tighter bass and kick.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #16,072 of 18,652
  Hello everyone. I just use dx50 for a week and enjoy it so much with PK2 Mod + SU 1.4 which you guys recommended in this forum (tried 1.3.3 already but I prefer 1.4)

However, now I have a question about importing a playlist from Foobar. I tried it many times but failed. So may I ask for a help from you guys here to import a playlist?

Now my songs are in both SD card and internal memory, both place divided like this: SD Card -> (Folder) Japan / Western -> (Folder) Artist -> (Folder) Album -> Songs

I tried create a playlist from a songs in SD card and save them as m3u at root folder of SD card but when I open it with DX50 it has no song in a playlist. 

I had issues importing with SU 1.4, never figured out the cause.  May be a pain but try going to 1.6 and checking if your playlists import correctly.  I assume you modified the file paths in the playlists to suit the DX50?

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #16,073 of 18,652
I had issues importing with SU 1.4, never figured out the cause.  May be a pain but try going to 1.6 and checking if your playlists import correctly.  I assume you modified the file paths in the playlists to suit the DX50?

Thank you for recommendation. I'm not sure why my imported playlist didn't work. Maybe because I created sub folder?

For the one who can import playlist with SU 1.4 FW or 1.6 standard FW please tell me how you create a song folder and how you import a playlist. Step by step how-to will greatly appreciated.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #16,074 of 18,652
My DX50 starts to skip parts of the track very frequently now. Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 based on FW 1.5. Any way to get it fixed?

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #16,075 of 18,652
  My DX50 starts to skip parts of the track very frequently now. Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 based on FW 1.5. Any way to get it fixed?

Here is what helped me:

Copy all tracks from the SD card to a safe location. 
Make sure the SD card is formatted in FAT32 format, if not, format it in that format.
Copy the files back in one single copy operation.
RE-scan library
Problem was fixed.

Cheers,
K

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #16,076 of 18,652

Here is what helped me:

Copy all tracks from the SD card to a safe location. 
Make sure the SD card is formatted in FAT32 format, if not, format it in that format.
Copy the files back in one single copy operation.
RE-scan library
Problem was fixed.

Cheers,
K

Thanks for the prompt reply. Will give it a go and report the update. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #16,077 of 18,652
Hi all,

Brand new owner of a DX50 here.  I'm looking for some advice about which firmware to go with, as it seems from a bit of the reading that I have done that there are sound differences between them.

I would be interested in one that has a neutral/flat presentation.  I am an owner of a FiiO X3, and I'm looking for something that sounds different from the X3.  In other words, something not as warm.  I know that the DX50 and the X3 share the same DAC, but what spurred me to try out the DX50 is reviews that I read indicating that it sounds more neutral than the X3.  But I assume that is firmware-dependent, so I'm looking for suggestions of which firmware to go with.

The only other requirement at this time would be that said firmware plays FLAC, Ogg, and MP3 files OK.  That's what my library consists of.

I will mainly be listening to the DX50 with a pair of Dunu DN-1000 IEMs.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #16,078 of 18,652
  Hi all,

Brand new owner of a DX50 here.  I'm looking for some advice about which firmware to go with, as it seems from a bit of the reading that I have done that there are sound differences between them.

I would be interested in one that has a neutral/flat presentation.  I am an owner of a FiiO X3, and I'm looking for something that sounds different from the X3.  In other words, something not as warm.  I know that the DX50 and the X3 share the same DAC, but what spurred me to try out the DX50 is reviews that I read indicating that it sounds more neutral than the X3.  But I assume that is firmware-dependent, so I'm looking for suggestions of which firmware to go with.

The only other requirement at this time would be that said firmware plays FLAC, Ogg, and MP3 files OK.  That's what my library consists of.

I did a blind test with my X3 (now sold) and the DX50 with an input switched. Both player started the song at the same time and where volume matched. I always thought the X3 was way warmer but when switching between them in a blind test the difference was so much smaller than I thought...

I like the DX50 it's certainly a tiny bit less warm, ideally have them both at the same time and do some A/Bing and make up your mind yourself :wink:

Cheers,
K

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #16,079 of 18,652

I did a blind test with my X3 (now sold) and the DX50 with an input switched. Both player started the song at the same time and where volume matched. I always thought the X3 was way warmer but when switching between them in a blind test the difference was so much smaller than I thought...

I like the DX50 it's certainly a tiny bit less warm, ideally have them both at the same time and do some A/Bing and make up your mind yourself :wink:

Cheers,
K

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, my question was not so much about which player sounds better or warmer.  I loaded the most recent firmware (1.6.0) on to the DX50 and I don't hear much of a difference between it and the X3.  In other words, I think they are more or less equally warm at the moment.

But from what I've read, people seem to think that different DX50 firmwares sound different from one another.  So my question was pertaining to which firmware sounds the most neutral/flat, so that I can contrast it with the X3.

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #16,080 of 18,652
  Hi all,

For firmware try Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 and 1.4. https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked Both are quite neutral and really good. I suggest you to test them by your own IEMs and choose the one you prefer. Don't forget to enter hidden menu after install FW by turn on the player while it still lock and set "flac/irrc off/cpu default" or "flac/irrc on/cpu 312" which recommended by people in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back