THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread.
Dec 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,006 of 2,209
  True,

I also posted a HYPE TRAIN CHUGA CHUGA WOOT WOOT, Vali post on the DT 880 thread <3 if the Vali sounds BAD... I'm going to anti-Hype that crap to death!

But if it sounds good... me gusta 

The sound of the Vali raises little question for me, the longevity on the other hand.........................................................................

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,008 of 2,209
The tubes on the Vali are not replaceable, correct? That worries me...

Wrong, dude they are TOTALLY replaceable. Schiit sells a replacement service for about $20, not bad

and yea the sound... I am unsure about but the BUILD... the Schiit customer service alone is worth the $137 I spent on the vali! Come hell or high water,  expect Schiit to honor that Warrenty, and I have no doubts they will :3

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,009 of 2,209
and shipping.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,011 of 2,209
I mean the repair service.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,012 of 2,209
  I mean the repair service.

Oh yea, I expect no more than like $30 total. Now that's assuming you've ran your tubes the full voltage limit. If they are defective, this early they will cover everything.  few users have already gotten fully paid for replacements 

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,013 of 2,209
Shipping is not a big deal for me - Schitt is located only about an hour from me.

OK - so anything is "replaceable" if you send it back to the factory. Good grief - the tubes aren't even socketed! If you need to get out a soldering iron, that's cheating! :p I suppose I meant "user replaceable", when the user is a ham-fisted orangutan (like me)...

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,014 of 2,209
Shipping is not a big deal for me - Schitt is located only about an hour from me.

OK - so anything is "replaceable" if you send it back to the factory. Good grief - the tubes aren't even socketed! If you need to get out a soldering iron, that's cheating!
tongue.gif
I suppose I meant "user replaceable", when the user is a ham-fisted orangutan (like me)...

yea man this is a $100 Hybrid Tube lol, although I hope Schiit does find a way to socket those bad bois, as they 
1) become erect :O
and 
2) are pretty noisy without sockets! From what I hear 

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #1,015 of 2,209

OK - so anything is "replaceable" if you send it back to the factory. Good grief - the tubes aren't even socketed! If you need to get out a soldering iron, that's cheating!
tongue.gif
I suppose I meant "user replaceable", when the user is a ham-fisted orangutan (like me)...

I really wish folks would do the homework and find out why tube sockets were used in the first place. Easy replacement was not the sole criteria for using a socket.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #1,016 of 2,209
I really wish folks would do the homework and find out why tube sockets were used in the first place. Easy replacement was not the sole criteria for using a socket.

Wasn't it sort of similar to the CPU sockets we use today? The different bases represented specific standards? Although, I thought that even if a tube will fit in a base, that doesn't *always* guarantee a specific tube is compatible with the circuit.

Am I close? :p

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,017 of 2,209
Wasn't it sort of similar to the CPU sockets we use today? The different bases represented specific standards? Although, I thought that even if a tube will fit in a base, that doesn't *always* guarantee a specific tube is compatible with the circuit.

Am I close?
tongue.gif

There was a lot to do with resonance and microphonics.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,018 of 2,209

There was a lot to do with resonance and microphonics.

so what, using a tube socket would create more resonace and mircophonics with these tubes.... that's a little scary 

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,019 of 2,209
  so what, using a tube socket would create more resonace and mircophonics with these tubes.... that's a little scary 

You're 180 degrees out on that. The socket forms a great insulator against resonances. Bear in mind tubes were created long before PCB's were when P2P wiring was king.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,020 of 2,209
P2P meaning point-to-point direct wirings for everything. Nothing routed through embedded circuit board traces in other words. Lots of wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back