The Hyland Headphones Saturn One, Saturn Two and Jupiter One thread
Jan 27, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #151 of 246
I see in Randy's pic that the cable there is different than the one he sent me. The one in the pic appears to be copper with red connector identifying right. Looks like Randy sent me a different cable with different "markings" - I'm guessing because copper is much more convenient. Raaanddyyy... incorrigible!

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #152 of 246
Hyland Jupiter vs Hifiman 4XX

Summary: For me, the Hifiman 4XX is preferable to Hyland Jupiter One.

My equipment:
Macbook Pro -> Eitr -> Modi MBv2 -> Vali2 w/ amperex orange ->
Headphones: Jupiter One*, Hifiman 4XX
The Jupiter One (J1) was used with it’s hybrid pads with felt liner installed.

Hifiman 4XX:
- The 4XX has linear bass with relatively low distortion. Fun!
- Hifiman’s are physically open due to spaced driver arrangement in cup and in this regard makes them more airy and comfortable.
- On the other hand the 4XX is not comfortable because it is heavy with an inadequate headband.
- The 4XX has a dip in the upper midrange / presence region which can make some electric guitars sound a little distant. Not fun!
- Then there is a tiny peak in the upper frequencies that can make cymbals sound a little bright and splashy. Distracting and almost deal-breaking.

REVIEW:

For this comparison I listened to six different tracks while quickly switching between headphones during each track. The 4XX generally required double the amount of volume adjustment to get about equally loud.

1. Guess I’m Doing Fine - Beck - Sea Change (MOFI)
4XX:
- bass obviously great
- vocals sound perfect
- cymbals not an issue in this track, though obviously going to be a little more present than intended
J1:
- sounds appear to have more decay which is quite pleasant
- voice sounds maybe a little more textured but a little nasally
- acoustic guitar a little softer sounding (good or bad)
- cymbals not as forward (not bad)
- soundstage feels about same

2. Hunter - Bjork - Homogenic
4XX:
- sounds awesome all around especially bass and attack
- a cool sounding track on the 4XX with the hard left/right and electronic noises
J1:
- volume is set to minimum
- weaker bass and attack makes this track kinda weak.
- it’s like listening to a 4XX that got tired
- vocals are good but it still sounds like Bjork

3. Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
4XX:
- bass guitar nice and plenty
- left and right panned percussion instruments sound quite distinct
- cymbals are a little brighter. not offensive, artificial detail
J1:
- bass needs more funk, not unpleasant
- Curtis sounds a bit sibilant
- a light sound on the left I’ve never noticed before. perhaps masked previously by much bass or hidden by 4XX droopy upper mids.

4. What I’d Say - Ray Charles - His Greatest Hits
4XX:
- left-side cymbal too splashy
J1:
- bass sounds good, but the left-side bass guitar is less distinct in the mix or just less loud
- ray’s voice sounds a little grainy
- right piano sounds less detailed and a little lean
- left-side percussion has less attack and defintion

5. This Ain’t No Picnic - Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
4XX:
- again, splashy cymbals, but this time they are annoying
- bass guitar is a treat
- drums are awesome-o
- electric guitar is a little disappointing
J1:
- electric guitar is present but maybe needs to combine with more warmth for that awesome crunchiness a la Grado
- cymbals softer, thank you!

6. A Change Is Gonna Come - Same Cooke - Portrait of a Legend 1951-1964

4XX:
- no sore thumbs
J1:
- sounds good too but one concern: strings sometimes are louder/more forward than Sam Cooke’s voice in the mix. Blasphemy!

Conclusion: I think both headphones have their strengths and weaknesses but the 4XX's choice of compromises as a whole are preferable to me. The J1 doesn't have enough bass. I prefer a warmer tone. Soundstage seemed about equal on both. Comfort is no doubt J1's territory. Resolution winner wasn't obvious to me, because it may just be a matter of certain frequencies being louder than others portraying fake detail. Also, I didn't listen long enough to feel comfortable making a decision regarding resolution.

Thank you __________ for setting up this loaner tour!

EDIT: correcting formatting issues from copy/paste from word doc, and grammar

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #153 of 246
My Saturn has landed! As is the case with my S1 & S2, the craftsmanship is excellent. I find them to be very comfortable and the sound quite lifelike with accurate vocal and instrumental timbre. Based on my limited listening time, they seem to be a bit warmer overall than the Saturn and have a more intimate soundstage. At this point, I can't say which model is my favorite. Just glad I don't have to make a choice!!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #155 of 246
I finally received my pair of Jupiter One. And I have been listening to it every chance I get. This is my initial impression of this headphone. First of all, this headphone is extremely comfortable pair just like Saturn One and very much open back design. My source is Emotiva DC1 > Headroom Home Balanced Amp with Max module listening mostly to Tidal streaming service and my FLAC files from my cd collections. Someone was asking if this headphone's sound signature is like Grado house sound. It is not polar opposite but very different sound signature to my ears. By the way, I do love Grado house sound very much and PS500 and modified SR225 are two of the Grado models that I love among others. When you first put on the pair of Grado, it almost immediately grabs you with their forward presentation and in your face. Many listeners will fall in love with Grado immediately and continue to seek other models to see what else do they have to offer while others will get listener fatigue and seek other headphone to suit their interest and needs.

One thing for sure is that Jupiter One does not sound like Grado to my ears. When I first tried out the Jupiter One, it was underwhelming experience at first and almost boring sound. I didn't have this reaction when I tried Alex's first version headphone Saturn One. Matter of fact, I knew immediately that I am going to love Saturn One. According to email conversation with Alex, my Jupiter One was the first to receive his slightly modified tuning after he saw some of initial reactions from his customers. My first criteria of any headphone is the quality of sound to my ears with comfort follow by how well it is made. If it is looking good, that is just icing on the cake for me. The fact that Alex, the designer, is able to modify his tuning for better so quickly can only accomplished by dedicated designer with individual attention. I doubt any major manufacture can accomplish such a feat that quickly or if even possibility until next model comes along.

It is very important not to judge Jupiter One with just initial quick listening but listen for several days or better yet several weeks before you make final judgement. For my experience so far, my Jupiter One is getting better more I listen to it. I absolutely do not get listening fatigue at all. I can listen this headphone all day long. Although Jupiter One is very easy to drive, I recommend using the amp with low gain to get maximum benefit. If you are looking for extreme bass or "rockability" of Grado kind, this headphone is not for you. However, if you are looking for balanced sound with laid back sound signature and kicks up a notch on bass when music calls for, the Jupiter One might fit the bill nicely. Matter of fact, I might have found my favorite headphone for classical genre. When I was listening to "Adagio for Strings", it reminds me of haunting image of movie Platoon opening scene when soldiers were first arriving to Vietnam for their tour of duty. Or that deep male voice of Leonard Cohen's "In My Secret Life" was simply beautiful. One of my favorite genre is blue rock such artists as Eric Clapton, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Johnny Lang, and Joe Bonamassa to name a few and they all sound wonderful. I believe the greatest strength about Jupiter One is its excellent tone balance with all day long comfort. This is rather personal ramble rather than any kind of review but I believe Alex's second creation "Jupiter One" is definitely keeper for me and will have many hours of listening from me for a very long time. Great job Alex!

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #156 of 246
I might have miss judged when it comes to Jupiter One's response to bass. Unlike other bassy headphones which emphasize bass no matter what type of music plays thus exaggerated bass, Jupiter One only shows awesome bass response if the music recording contains that strong bass response. Perhaps, that is what Alex did to modify the tuning of J1. I am currently listening to Taj Mahal's TajMo album and it shows what J1 is capable of.

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #157 of 246
I have had the pleasure of demoing the Hyland Headphones Jupiter 1 for a few weeks. It should’ve been for only one week but during my audition time, Alex came up with the bass kit which I waited to be shipped to me and Iinstalled before I could finish my thoughts about this headphone.

During my audition, I changed both of my headphone amps as well. I sold both my Wells Audio Milo and my Pathos Aurium and replaced with a used Trafomatic Head 2 and a brand new PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated. So I had a lot of change in the last few weeks. As sources I have a Avid Ingenium turntable and a Elac Discovery streamer which feeds lossless tidal and burned CDs to an Elac DDP2 DAC.

Last summer I became a proud owner of a Saturn 1. I loved that little guy and had no intention of ever selling it, but then Alex announced the Saturn 2. I thought to myself “maybe I should sell the Saturn one and have a little extra money to buy the two amps on the short term and shortly there after I will buy the new Saturn 2.“ A short while later the Jupiter 1 tour was announced and I eagerly jumped at the opportunit.

The Jupiter is very comfortable. It is a strength for this headphone. It is extremely lightweight and will not cause any strain on your head when listening for long periods. The headband does look a little cheap, but it is extremely comfortable. The Cups are beautiful. The craftsmanship is intricate and very well done. Detail in finishing is very impressive with these guys. The pads are leather (or similar) and there’s also a velour pair. I found the leather pads to be very very comfortable. The velour pads We’re comfortable as well but I preferred the leather in feel. I was not a big fan of how the pads wrapped around the cups. It cheapened the extremely finished look of the cups in my opinion.

Sound. When I first got the Jupiter and tried it on my new PrimaLuna, it wasn’t a great pairing. I am very glad for the extra time as it became clear that the pairing shortcomings were because of the lack of burning for the tubes in my amp. Over the time that I had it the sound became better and better. I always felt it sounded well with the Trafomatic. My sound comparisons will be written with what I heard with the bass kit filters installed. I do believe that they did enhance the bass and I did not feel that it hurt the headphone in any other way. It is also written with the leather pads as every song I compared I preferred them to the velour. I really like the leather pads.

Low end is good. Bass is present and better than the Saturn 1. It is not flabby and it is well controlled. Mid bass is very nice. This headphone is tuned on the low side very well. This is not a bass head headphone But it is not bass light at all.

The mids are more prevalent than on the Saturn 1. They come right at you and are much closer to you than the Saturn 1. They definitely sound more intimate. I thought the biggest strength and my favorite part of the Saturn one was the soundstage and imaging. This is where the Jupiter was not nearly as good in my opinion. This is also the reason that these two headphones sound so different. I believe it is because of the grado of style pads that were on the Saturn one. This may make the Saturn two more appealing to me than the Jupiter. This is not to say that the Jupiter had no sound stage or imaging, It is just a different type of headphone.

Which leads me to a big strength of the Jupite. I think the treble sounds nice. It does lead to very good detail. I believe the clarity of this headphone is very good.

to me this is a very neutral headphone With a slightly warm personality. I have very good gear and very good headphones to compare it to. All of my headphones with the exception of my Klipsch HP3 outclass the Jupite. But They should as my Audeze is $4000 and my Kennerton is $2600. I believe the Jupiter stands up very well to the Klipsch which goes for $1300. In my opinion the sound is preferable on the Jupiter to my Klipsch.

Getting to hear this headphone has cemented the thought that I do want to buy a new Hyland headphone. I believe it will be the Saturn two rather than this Jupiter. But I believe for many of the Jupiter will be the clear class winner as it just depends on the type of sound you’re looking for. Anyway both of the Highland headphones I have had the honor to hear have outperformed their price point. Great job Alex.

So today I packaged up and mailed off the Jupiters to the next lucky reviewer. I am very happy I got to hear them.

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #158 of 246
Hyland Jupiter One Impressions
Hello! I too have been lucky enough to participate in the Jupiter One tour. I’ve spent a week with these headphones and truly enjoyed it. I always love to try a new headphone, and I especially appreciate the effort that has been put into this headphone from Alex at Hyland.

Appearance
Aesthetic appeal of a headphone is definitely subjective, but I will say that, overall, these look very nice in person. It’s the kind of headphone that I will pick up and think I hope this sounds good. The wood of the demo pair that I received was nothing special in the grain department, but the proportions, lines, and overall finish looked very nice. I also dig the mesh that was chosen for the rear grill.

The headband looked good and not too homemade, aside from the rod blocks, which appear to be 3D printed. Obviously, this allows for a large amount of flexibility in design (make it however you want), but the overall finish of the 3D printed pieces was not as professional looking as the other parts of the headphone. I will say that the cable is on the ugly side and neither looks nor feels as nice as other headphone cables I’ve seen attached to similarly priced products. I imagine that in the customization process, Alex can sleeve and slap heat shrink on the cable however you like, though. I don’t want to end on a negative note here, however. Despite those minor grievances, this headphone looks great.

Build Quality
To put it simply, this headphone feels solidly built. It doesn’t feel like the drivers might wiggle out of the cups. The headband isn’t flimsy. The wood doesn’t feel cheap. This headphone feels excellent. I wish the included hybrid pads fit better on the headphone—they seem a little loose-fitting. The velour pads don’t have this issue. Again, the cable was not my favorite. That said, the materials and craftsmanship here are outstanding, especially considering the price.

Comfort
The Jupiter One is much lighter than I anticipated and very comfortable on the head. I really like how adjustable the fit is. Instead of allowing the cups the rotate loosely, the gimbals are tightened down just enough the let them stay in a position of your choosing. Both the hybrid and velour pads are soft, and the headband feels good on the head. Comfort is definitely one of the highlights of the Jupiter One.

Sound
Okay, now to the important part. The Jupiter One sound can be summarized in one word: medium. Everything about it felt very middle-of-the-range to me. The highs are slightly soft, but not overly blurry. The mids are present but not in your face. These aren’t bassy, but they are not anemic. The soundstage is not big but not tiny, either. Well, the soundstage somewhat depends on the pads you choose.

Let’s back up a bit. The Jupiter One demo came with two sets of pads: hybrid (Brainswavs maybe?) and velour (round Beyer-style). The headphone also shipped with a bass tuning kit (basically several pieces of felt stuck together). You slap these felt pieces in between the driver and the pads.

The bass kit was simple enough and added a touch of warmth that benefited both styles of pads.

The hybrid pads were somewhat ill-fitting (loose) and while they added more bass, they took too much away from the sound otherwise to be worth it. The soundstage and imaging was worse with the hybrid pads (more congested). I think the Jupiter One with hybrid pads would need some amount of EQ to sound “right.”

For that reason, I spent most of my time using the velour pads. The sound opened up and music was presented with much more space. I preferred the velours even though the bass was lessened compared to the hybrids.

For me, it’s hard to really get much out of reviews of headphones unless there is some amount of comparison to a product I’ve heard before. To me, the Jupiter One reminded me of a less wonky sounding Audioquest Nighthawk (tame the midbass, add a little soundstage, even out the frequency response, etc). My mind went there because the Jupiter One is such an easy listen. Clarity is also big with me in headphones. In the detail department the Jupiter One kinda reminded me of how I felt listening to the DT1770 or Amiron a while back. Obviously, the bass response is not in the same ballpark, but some bits of the presentation reminded of those headphones. Yes, there are details, but this is not at all an analytic headphone. Medium.

My main point of reference is the Grado GH2 (my main cans). The GH2 is just incredibly rich in the midrange and very clear sounding. The difference in clarity between the GH2 and the Jupiter One really highlights what I believe is the main reason why the Jupiter One is not my cup of tea: the drivers it uses are not top tier in in the detail department. It’s not bad—it’s just a solid, good, all-arounder type of sound where nothing really stands out but that is absolutely commensurate with the price.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #159 of 246
I am fortunate enough to have been the latest participant in the Jupiter One tour. A few thoughts before I post my impressions:
-I intentionally did not read any of the previous posts regarding the Jupiter One so I would not be subconsciously influenced. Please excuse any possible repetitions from previous posts.
-I do not have the most discerning ears, and I don't think I'm great at describing sound at an audiophile level. I will do my best.
-I listen primarily to guitar-driven rock, but I did test the Jupiter One with other genres of music.
-I am VERY grateful to Randy (Geezer Rock 001) for setting up this tour and using his personal pair of headphones.

All of my listening was through a Schiit Modi Multibit and Lyr 3. I compared the Jupiter One to my Hyland Saturn One and my Grado GH4.

Esthetics
I am partial to the appearance of headphones with wooden cups. In addition to the Saturn One and Grado GH4 that I currently own, I previously owned an Audeze LCD-2 and a Grado RS2. They have all been very esthetically pleasing to me, and the Saturn One is certainly no exception.

The design of the Jupiter One is very similar to the Saturn One, but there are two major differences:
-The Jupiter One has a darker wood coloring
-The Jupiter One has velour earpads which are more flush with the earcups. They remind me of the Beyerdynamic headphones which I previously owned (DT880, T90, and T1). In comparison, the Saturn One's Grado-style (foam?) earpads extend past the earcups circumferentially.

Personally, I do prefer the darker shade of wood and the look of the earpads with the Jupiter One. Esthetically, it may be my favorite headphone that I have ever had in my possession.

I do have one issue with the appearance of the Jupiter one, however. Unless I'm missing something, the left and right earcups are not labeled. Additionally, there doesn't seem to be a designation for left/right on the detachable cable. The cable has one gold connector and one silver connector, but it's unclear to me how it is supposed to connect to the headphones. This doesn't really bother me, but I do find it worth noting.

Comfort
The Jupiter One is absolutely top-notch in the comfort department. While the Saturn One was also great in this regard, the Jupiter One is even better. This is due to the earcups. The velour is more comfortable than the Grado-style material used in the Saturn One earpads. Additionally, the earpads are deeper, which means the headphones do not press against my ears at all when in use.

The Jupiter One is lightweight and has a low clamping force, but they do feel very stable on my head. The design of the headphones allows for a much greater freedom of rotation for the earcups than I have come to expect from most headphones. Because of this, they will adapt very well to your head, and I doubt anyone would have a problem finding a very comfortable fit.

The Jupiter One joins the top tier of most comfortable headphones that I have ever worn, including the Beyerdynamic headphones that I previously mentioned, the Sennheiser HD700, and the Audioquest Nighthawk. While esthetics are very subjective, you would be very hard-pressed to find a more comfortable pair of headphones.

Sound
Hopefully it's clear that I'm a big fan of the look and feel of the Jupiter One. Obviously, the sound is the most important component when evaluating headphones. I will compare the Jupiter One to my Saturn One and my Grado GH4.

Jupiter One vs. Saturn One
The two Hyland headphones sound pretty similar for the most part.
-Overall, the Jupiter One is warmer, while the Saturn One is more neutral.
-I prefer the Jupiter One's presentation of vocals. Vocals seem to have more weight and have a "sweet" or "lush" quality. The only time you will hear sibilance in vocals is if the recording is especially prone to it. The Jupiter One's presentation of vocals reminds me of the Audeze LCD-2 and the various Sennheiser headphones that I have owned.
-While I like the bass presentation with the Saturn One, the Jupiter One is definitely a step up in the bass department. There is slightly more bass quantity without overshadowing the rest of the spectrum. I'm also hearing an increased weight and better texture to the bass presentation. While it doesn't quite reach the level of the LCD-2 in the bass region, the Saturn One's bass presentation is definitely among the best I've heard from dynamic drivers.
-The soundstage is about equal. I can't really tell a difference between the Hyland models in this regard. It has good width and depth without being too big (which was a problem for me with the HD700 and the AKG headphones that I have owned; the big soundstage made these headphones sound incohesive and disjointed at times). The sound is enveloping while remaining very cohesive.
-I couldn't detect much of a difference in detail retrieval, other than the better bass texture with the Jupiter One.
-As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, most of the music I listen to is guitar-driven rock. While I love the vocals and the bass of the Jupiter One, it is not perfect for my personal taste in music. Much like the Audeze and Sennheiser headphones I have owned, I'm hearing a diminished upper midrange and treble response with the Jupiter One. This is a very big deal for me personally. Electric guitars and drums sound somewhat dull when compared to the Saturn One.

Jupiter One vs. Grado GH4
These are two completely different beasts. The sound signatures are drastically different. The GH4 has a midrange focus with a definite boost in the upper midrange region, whereas I find the Jupiter One to be recessed in the upper midrange/treble.
-The Jupiter One has an immediately noticeable bigger soundstage, although it is worth noting that I'm using the stock L-pads with the GH4.
-I definitely prefer the vocal presentation with the Jupiter One. In comparison, vocals are sweeter and have more weight with the Jupiter One, while vocals on the GH4 can sound harsh and sibilant at times.
-The bass presentation is very different. The Jupiter One has more body/weight and texture to the bass, but I would describe the GH4's bass as being a little tighter. Because of the improved texture, I prefer the Jupiter One's bass presentation.
-The overall sound presentation is thicker than the GH4, while I would describe the GH4's sound as tighter and faster.
-I find the GH4 to be more detailed. This is especially evident when isolating acoustic guitar.
-The GH4 has much more forward mids with an "in-your-face" presentation which I find works very well for my music preferences.
-Guitars sound MUCH better to me on the GH4 (more forward with detail/crunch and more defined plucks). I have always been a huge fan of the Grado presentation of guitars.
-The GH4 has much more energy overall, especially in guitars and drums. The Jupiter One's presentation of guitar and drums sounds noticeably dull in comparison.

Summary/Final Thoughts
Overall, there is a lot to like about the Jupiter One. The design, esthetics, and comfort are all top-notch as far as I'm concerned. The presentation of vocals and bass are definitely among the best that I have heard. The soundstage is ideal for me. It is big enough to create an enveloping sound while not being so big to be disjointed or incohesive. If you're sensitive to sibilance or prefer a thick, rich sound presentation, I would highly recommend the Jupiter One. It is reminiscent of Sennheiser and Audeze headphones that I have owned.

The Jupiter One has a warm sound signature with what I perceive to be a recessed upper midrange and treble. This sound signature does not play well with my personal taste in music because it makes guitars and drums sound dull in comparison to the GH4. If you primarily listen to rock and metal and want a fast, detailed, and energetic sound signature, I would recommend looking into a Grado instead.

My journey in the search for the perfect headphones has made me aware of cause and effect. For example, the GH4's boosted upper midrange brings out the best from guitars and drums, but it can have a tendency to make vocals sound harsh and sibilant. I have yet to find headphones which are capable of bringing out the energy in guitars and drums while retaining the fantastic bass and rich, sweet, lush vocals.

Finally, I would like to thank Randy (Geezer Rock 001) one more time for allowing me to participate in the Jupiter One tour.

Mar 23, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #161 of 246
Re Jupiter One bass kit mod.

Today I received my J1 back after it being on the unofficial Jupiter One audition tour. At it's second stop, Alex at Hyland Headphones came out with a bass kit to address some customer concerns.

I have a Saturn One and a Saturn Two. They both wear my favorite ear pads for the Hyland Headphones, Grado G cush. I ordered a Jupiter One and Alex altered a pair of Grado G cush ear pads that I had sent him to experiment with and sent them on my J1 s.

My entire listening was done with the G cush on the Jupiter Ones. I never tried the other two pair of ear pads that came with the J1 s from Alex.

When I sent them on tour I put the Beyer type pads on them and put the other pair in the box and sent them on their way.

Today when they returned, they had the Beyer type pads on them. I pulled one side off to see what the bass kit material looked like. It was two layers of black filtering material.

I decided to go with my favorite G cush on one side with no black filter material. and the Beyer type on the other. The G cush sounded best to me so I changed to the G cush and sat down for a two hour session. They sounded excellent and no problems to my ears. Solid bass and great mids and highs. But.... this is to my ears and my opinion.

If you own a pair of Jupiter Ones, consider buying a pair of genetic G cush pads and give them a try. Just my humble opinion.

Stay safe and sane out there.

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #165 of 246
I did some lurking over the years. Never thought to make an account until recently. Glad I did though.
Welcome!
Hyland Headphones is a one man operation who produces some very light weight and comfortable headphones that are very much enjoyed by their owners. The first series was the Saturn One. The Jupiter One and Saturn Two are the new series that have a bigger driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back