The Hyland Headphones Saturn One, Saturn Two and Jupiter One thread
Mar 24, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #166 of 246
Welcome!
Hyland Headphones is a one man operation who produces some very light weight and comfortable headphones that are very much enjoyed by their owners. The first series was the Saturn One. The Jupiter One and Saturn Two are the new series that have a bigger driver.
Awesome thanks for the info! Just checked out the product page, looks great. I'll be keeping a lookout on these ones.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #167 of 246
Hello fellow Hylanders. I hope that you all did well through the Covid situation. I have been spending many happy hours with my Saturn 2s and Jupiter 1s. The J1s are pretty much S2s as I removed all of the filter material and went with Grado G cush ear pads on both of them.

They are my only dynamic cans now. My days of buying and selling headphones in search of the ultimate pair are over.

I haven't conversed with Alex in a long while. He was full time parenting the last I heard.

I hope you all are well and enjoying your unique Hyland Headphones as much as I am. Stay well and happy.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #168 of 246
Greetings guys! Hope everyone is well!

I'm going back to the audio game and I'm very interested on the Saturn Two/Jupiter one. I'd like to know how they would compare against other cans like the HD 650/6xx and the Beyer T1. Trying to figuring out different cans for different budgets according to the exchange rate in Brazil against USD.

Amp/Dac: Currently none, but thinking on either a xDuoo TA-10 or the THX models with DAC (Monoprice, Drop and eventually the Fiio K7)
Preferred music genre(s) - Rock, Metal, 80's Pop/rock, Progressive Metal/Rock, Jazz, Different types of ethinic music.

Abraços from Brazil!

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #169 of 246
I am still enjoying my Saturn One very much and if you like the sound of Beyer T1, I would choose Jupiter One over Saturn One. Of course, I haven't heard the Saturn Two yet so not sure how they compare to Saturn One. Either of these Hyland headphones are not typical bass heavy hitter. But they do have balanced bass if the music call for it. Good luck in your search.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #170 of 246
Has anybody here ever tried the Beautiful Audio ear pads on their Hyland headphones?

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #172 of 246
Greetings guys! Hope everyone is well!

I'm going back to the audio game and I'm very interested on the Saturn Two/Jupiter one. I'd like to know how they would compare against other cans like the HD 650/6xx and the Beyer T1. Trying to figuring out different cans for different budgets according to the exchange rate in Brazil against USD.

Amp/Dac: Currently none, but thinking on either a xDuoo TA-10 or the THX models with DAC (Monoprice, Drop and eventually the Fiio K7)
Preferred music genre(s) - Rock, Metal, 80's Pop/rock, Progressive Metal/Rock, Jazz, Different types of ethinic music.

Abraços from Brazil!

Welcome! My favorite is the Jupiter 1. I listen to rock and blues and they are excellent imo. I think that all of the Hyland's really shine when they have an amp pushing them.

I have not talked to Alex since shortly before the Covid situation moved into shelter in place for the UK and the US. You can contact him through the web site and see if he is currently taking orders.

The S2 and J1 are my go to dynamic drivers. They are very light and comfortable. Their clarity and separation are excellent as well. All imo.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #173 of 246
IMG_20200923_083804.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200923102549543_COVER.jpg

Just picked up my pair from work earlier this week:
My daily drivers have been ZMF Aeolus with LCD-2C as back-ups. Really enjoy the two sets and feel this set will compliment them nicely. My notes after 10+ hours head time:

The Build: Beautiful. Just top notch. 3d Printed portions are super clean. American Black Walnut is gorgeous and the hardware is clean and well made. They are significantly lighter than the other two cans which is a pleasant surprise.

Sound: Running off Gung/Mjolir2 Schiit tubes -Guitars absolutely sing with these cans.....I've found they really shine with rock. They come off as lighter and brighter than my Aeolus. Doing A/B tests going back to Aeolus sound significantly warmer almost buttery. That's not to say the Jupiter Ones are bad or to downplay their sound. The detail is very impressive and soundstage is spectacular. The sound is closer and feels clear/clean..... I get where others might feel these are more aggressive, but I'm finding my brain acclimating to the sound and able to settle into them better. At first the transition was a bit sharp getting better and better.Pretty sure I'm a warmer leaning listener. Tried them today with Sony Z300 mobile listening unit with some pearl jam and they didn't come off aggressive ( now 20 hrs in) which I think illustrates the brain training.

Again not that one sound is better, I like the laid back warm sound of the Aeolus and these will really compliment them. I'll post again with impressions at 100 hrs. For the time being I am very pleased with this purchase.

The Builder: Alex has been a Rockstar to deal with....super transparent and great all round guy.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #174 of 246
I had a pair of the BA G cush cushions that I tried on an S2 and a J1. I liked the real Grado G cush much better.
What is it about the G-cush that strikes your fancy? Does it change the signature or is it just comfort preference? I'm digging the sound and feel my ears and brain acclimating to these and so far enjoying more and more. Curious about pad swaps

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #175 of 246
What is it about the G-cush that strikes your fancy? Does it change the signature or is it just comfort preference? I'm digging the sound and feel my ears and brain acclimating to these and so far enjoying more and more. Curious about pad swaps

To me the G cush produce the best bass and soundstage. Plus with the light weight of the S2 and J1 with the G cush they are the most comfortable cans I have. They are great for afternoon naps!

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #176 of 246
So, I dont have Hylands (but I think I would like them) but I am a huge Grado head. What I love about about the G Cush:
1) The huge volume of the cups completely fills up with sound. Its a really cool effect. (Assuming the sound of the headphones is good to start with 😊)
2) Despite being so big they are very lightweight.
3) partly because of 2) they have a nice, light touch on your head. They dont clamp down, they just cup your ears, politely, and ask you to take a drink from this huge cup of sound.

So its partly a sound factor and party a comfort factor for me.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #177 of 246
During my Head Fi odyssey I have gone through nearly every brand of cans out there. imo the drivers and cups that Alex is using in his Saturn 2s and Jupiter 1s produce some of the best sound separation and clarity that I ever experienced. Even a very low volume, every detail is there.

If you love Grados, you will really love the Hylands.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #178 of 246
Looking at the Jupiter 1 as a light feather good sounding cans. My 40th bday is coming up and I'm looking for a sweet gift. I’m a sucker for hand made stuff…I currently have the Focal Clears/Thieaudio Phantoms paired to a Lake people g111, Burson Composer DaC and was wondering how these would compare sound wise. Do they have a more relax sounding character? Does the bass go deep?(quality not quantity). Is there by any chance a FR?

Thanks in advance!!

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #180 of 246
Hi, this is Alex Hyland.

I don't usually write on here due to the rules, but I am sure in this case it won't be a problem.

Unfortunately I have some very sad news to share.

Last week I emailed Randy (aka Geezer Rock 001, the OP) just for a catch-up on where I have been at since lockdown. On Sunday I received a reply from his son informing me that his father recently passed away from a heart attack.

Randy was my first customer when I launched my website, and since became a good friend. He really loved the headphones I make and was a great champion for them here and elsewhere, and was also a great source of advice regarding my direction business wise.

RIP Geezer Rock 001, I hope the sound is good where you are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back