The Hyland Headphones Saturn One, Saturn Two and Jupiter One thread
Jun 12, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #47 of 246
The enjoyment continues unabated! I have been experimenting with a number of different sources and cables and several nights ago I happened across the optional 4-pin balanced cable I had purchased for my Oppo PM1. I had also purchased a matching balanced 4-pin adapter for my Pono Player. I hooked up the Pono (balanced outputs) > Oppo PM1 balanced cable > Hyland and was absolutely stunned at the sound! It is like the proverbial straight wire with gain directly from the music to my ears. Hands down the best performance I have heard from any headphone I have previously owned. And yes, the Pono Player is a true reference-quality source when used with the balanced outputs. Excuse me while I retrieve my jaw from the floor!!!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #48 of 246
I can attest to the fact that the Saturn One responds really well to balanced source. Its sound signature is well controlled balanced refined sound. My balanced source comes from Emotiva DC-1 DAC feeding the Headroom Home Balanced amp although I believe one of the strength of this headphone is great with portable sources as well in my opinion when you have portable amp to go with it.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #49 of 246
I continue to be amazed at how good this headphone sounds. I have owned some pretty decent phones and this, to me, is the best regardless of cost.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #50 of 246
I'm a little drunk on a Wednesday, but I'm honestly most excited about laying down and being able to put on my Saturn Ones. As someone who has owned the HD650 multiple times and never could quite get into their sound, these are exactly what I was looking for. Fantastic Soundstage, extremely detailed without being clinical, great bass for an open can when the music calls for it. And they really shine with female vocals, I've never heard Hiatus Kaiyote sound better than any of the much more expensive cans I've had. Really impressed at the quality for the price, not to mention how fricken light they are! Just haven't wanted to put anything else on since I've gotten them, Alex really worked some voodoo magic with these drivers.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #52 of 246
Great review Nick!

A clarification on the pads/cushions. They are shipped from Alex with generic G cush pads. They also are shipped with a round piece of thin black felt like material that goes between the driver and your ears.

The tour pair are my personal pair that I put genuine Grado G cush pads on as I thought that they sounded just a bit better to my ears. Nick did not receive the round felt pieces. Monsterzero is next in line to audition this pair. I have forwarded the round filters to him.

The on ear pads are generic L cush pads that I included with the tour pair so each person could try some pad rolling to see how that affected the Saturns.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #53 of 246
Hey all. I just wanted to post my review of the Saturn Ones. I was one of the lucky guys who got to borrow a set.
A most insightful and eloquent review of a very unique headphone!

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #55 of 246
How does these compare to audeze lcd series? I love the clarity and seperation of audeze sound. If I can get something neat the lcd x , 3 or 4 at the fraction of the cost I'll definitely do so.

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #56 of 246
"The Saturn presents a more dimensional image than does either my Clear or SR1. Bass is effortless and has a speaker-like sense of impact, but yet does not overpower more delicate mid-bass and vocal detail. The Saturn is so light and comfortable that one quickly forgets they are headphones rather than speakers. I will likely be selling my Clear. I can't sell my SR1 as it was a review sample from iBasso.
Simply put, the Hyland Saturn is the most comfortable and sonically lifelike headphone I have owned."

I just quote HiFlight in an inbox conversation between us. I registered for the forum just so I can ask people around for this Saturn One.

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #57 of 246
How does these compare to audeze lcd series? I love the clarity and seperation of audeze sound. If I can get something neat the lcd x , 3 or 4 at the fraction of the cost I'll definitely do so.
I currently own an LCD 3 and an LCD X ( which is for sale here on the forum). To my ears the Saturn has good bass, but not the deep reverberating bass of the Audezes. As far as separation and clarity, again imo, the Saturn is better than an LCD 3.

An added bonus is that the Saturn feels like a feather on your head compared to a Audeze LCD.

Jun 23, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #58 of 246
I'd say comparing the SO to the LCDs is difficult. I'm struggling to think of headphones with less in common. The LCDs are generally warm, dark, and liquid (with the LCD-3 just with some added resolution and twinkle in the highs). They have big, penetrating bass and slam. The imaging is compressed inward somewhat, but stretched vertically. The SOs have beautiful mids and an elevated treble giving it a phenomenally open, spacious, and airy sound. Aside from their gargantuan weight, all of the LCDs are a very good general purpose headphone that will sound great with any genre, but never really fully commits to any one of them. We're also comparing a headphone in the $400 range with one that costs 2 to 5 times that amount (LCD-2 an 3 respectively). They SO is definitely worth its price--as it is a very nice headphone with a unique and joyful character--but it's still a $400 headphone. The LCDs play well in their own leagues, and those are truthfully different leagues. By any conventional sense, the LCDs are "better" headphones. That being said, even as an LCD-3 and HD800S owner, I'd still happily pull out the SOs from time to time to enjoy the way their unique character transforms some kinds of music. Totally recommend them, but they aren't a substitute for a set of TOTL multi-kilobuck titans.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #59 of 246
I'd say comparing the SO to the LCDs is difficult. I'm struggling to think of headphones will less in common. The LCDs are generally warm, dark, and liquid (with the LCD-3 just with some added resolution and twinkle in the highs). They have big, penetrating bass and slam. The imaging is compressed inward somewhat, but stretched vertically. The SOs have beautiful mids and an elevated treble giving it a phenomenally open, spacious, and airy sound. Aside from their gargantuan weight, all of the LCDs are a very good general purpose headphone that will sound great with any genre, but never really fully commits to any one of them. We're also comparing a headphone in the $400 range with one that costs 2 to 5 times that amount (LCD-2 an 3 respectively). They SO is definitely worth its price--as it is a very nice headphone with a unique and joyful character--but it's still a $400 headphone. The LCDs play well in their own leagues, and those are truthfully different leagues. By any conventional sense, the LCDs are "better" headphones. That being said, even as an LCD-3 and HD800S owner, I'd still happily pull out the SOs from time to time to enjoy the way their unique character transforms some kinds of music. Totally recommend them, but they aren't a substitute for a set of TOTL multi-kilobuck titans.

Such a refreshingly, leveled response without any bandwagon hype. That is not common on this forum, so I tip my hat to you.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #60 of 246
NEWS FLASH
In about two weeks I will have a pair of Hyland Saturns that I will be putting into an audition rotation for a limited number of Head Fi ers in the United States. The Head Fi audition tour is something that I am doing on my own and has no affiliation with Hyland Headphones.

The Saturn audition tour will be limited to six people initially. Each participant will be responsible for USPS shipping to the next participant.

If you want to participate in the tour, PM me your contact information. I will get you on the list.
I'm in. Where can I find the specs on these cans? Are they fairly easy to drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back