The Hornet arrives...(pics 56k)
Nov 11, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #376 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
So basically you've decided to take it upon yourself to take a guess at what this mysterious opamp is, without even hearing the amp?
I'm not doubting your knowledge with audio chips here, but without any solid proof it's just mere speculation at best.

Supposedly, the Hornet's chip, as is the SR-71's, is covered up so no one knows for sure except the manufacturer. It's not likely there will be solid proof from anyone else.

I thought Andrea's speculation was interesting.

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #377 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
A guess is just an innocent guess. I had better say it, I always forget things
tongue.gif

No problem.
wink.gif

I mean it could very well be that very chip, but no one can say with certainty. Ray doesn't disclose the chips for a reason - to protect his amps from DIY cloners. I'd hate to see cloners take advantage of Ray's hard work and R&D he has put into the hornet.

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #378 of 410
I'm not surprised that there those that prefer the 71 to the Hornet. The 71 is an excellent amp. For me, it's not a matter of one sounds better than the other. For me, the Hornet's sq is different, not necessarily better, it's small, is rechargeable and has a gain switch. Once my Raptor returns, the Hornet will be for portable use almost exclusively. I haven't decided whether to keep the 71 yet. The 71 does have some features that are not found in the Hornet. The 71 is a dual mono design and I believe has seperate ps (this is not my area of expertise so I may be wrong about this). I imagine that when Ray designed the 71, he felt there were certain advantages to a dual mono design. So, while the 71 cost more than the Hornet, these features along with the differences in the sound, not surprisingly, may appeal to some of us.

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #379 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I'm not surprised that there those that prefer the 71 to the Hornet. The 71 is an excellent amp. For me, it's not a matter of one sounds better than the other. For me, the Hornet's sq is different, not necessarily better, it's small, is rechargeable and has a gain switch. Once my Raptor returns, the Hornet will be for portable use almost exclusively. I haven't decided whether to keep the 71 yet. The 71 does have some features that are not found in the Hornet. The 71 is a dual mono design and I believe has seperate ps (this is not my area of expertise so I may be wrong about this). I imagine that when Ray designed the 71, he felt there were certain advantages to a dual mono design. So, while the 71 cost more than the Hornet, these features along with the differences in the sound, not surprisingly, may appeal to some of us.

Well said. I'm planning on keeping the SR-71 and using it (together with the HD595) more for classical and jazz; I believe the (dual?) mono design is well matched and may provide a cleaner sound, especially for some quiet classical passages, which I personally enjoy. I'm planning on using the Hornet with the e4s and HD280s; this diversity of sound will keep me occupied on a few long upcoming flights. All these impressions are making me crazy for that little guy; I can't wait to hear what my e4s really sound like!

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #380 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I perfectly understand you, even though I have never ever heard any of them.

Miracles don't happen in audio things: one AD8397 just can't make up for a wealth of costly opamps + buffers.
evil_smiley.gif

What are you talking about. The AD8397 is a sweet new chip. There's a reason why Xin is using it in his new amps. Tangent is designing MINT v2.0 with the 8397 in mind. amb and morsel also were tinkering with their own design around this chip....

Nov 11, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #381 of 410
I am more on board with Tyrion and Stevesurf. After listening with the hornet for a while now I prefer the hornet to the SR-71 with different types of music. The SR-71 excels with acoustic music as well as smooth jazz and blues. However I prefer the hornet with rock-and-roll, driving jazz and bluegrass. At least for now, I am undecided with classical.

I also prefer the hornet to the SR-71 for driving the Senn 650 and surprisingly the Grado HP-1. My other Grado's seem to like both amps equally. I haven't tried my Headpile modded and recabled AKG-340 with either since it tends to throw a hissy if I disconnect it from my Stealth.
340smile.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #382 of 410
Hi all. My Hornet (#6041)arrived yesterday (and yes I did have to sign for it, lucky for me I was home for today is a holiday). Everyone who said that the size looks bigger in the pics were right on. I simply cannot beleive that this thing is so small. Charged it up and I'm breaking it in now. Early impressions. Very fast and great bass. Ray did one hell of a job on this one. Kudos to him and his crew for a great product. Mine came with the red velveteen pouch (red hat
:wink: I think this face
icon10.gif
says it all.

Nov 11, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #383 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
I have both SR71 and Hornet -- and actually I only ordered Hornet with the hope that it would be the equal, or superior, to SR71 but with gain switch (important for the UE10s), able to recharge, even smaller etc.

It's hard to tell if it's just my system (MicroDAC, UE10s) -- or if people are getting worked up in a lather because it's FOTM
icon10.gif
-- but I definitely prefer the SR71 for its soundstage, vocals are much richer (low though less of a gap when Hornet is on medium gain, much more of a gap when it is on low gain, not sure why this is). Hornet is more aggressive (drums sound better) but I think perhaps the delay is why the vocals just dont sound as natural & rich as they do with the SR71? It's hard to describe, but the difference is clear with music like Elliott Smith - Between the Bars.

I dont remember the exact post, but Ray initially said that Hornet would NOT replace SR71, and that each one has its genres at which they shine -- I think this explains why that my musical taste + my system has me preferring the SR71 and I'll be returning the Hornet to Ray. My brother, however, seems to prefer the Hornet over the AE-1....

And if Ray ever makes rechargeable SR71, I'll be the first to upgrade
evil_smiley.gif

It was actually difficult for me to choose between the SR-71 and Hornet. I think if the SR-71 did have the ability to run off wall power, internal recharger, and the gain switch I might have chosen it instead. But I like both sound signatures for different listening situations (Hornet for pop/rock, SR-71 for classical, jazz, acoustic). If Ray does end up offering an upgraded SR-71 with recharger I might have to spring for it, too.

Brian, you should try the Hornet with your HD650's in your home rig before you send it off. I swear, I think this amp is almost too powerful for most IEM's even with the low gain setting. And Ray's amplifiers always synergize the best with the HD600/650 in my opinion. The Hornet wasn't really meant for quiet acoustic stuff like Elliott Smith. If you want to hear your Senns to sound like arena size rockstar headphones, the Hornet is up to the task.

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #385 of 410
Hehe, did she know it was for your Hornet?

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #386 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Samuels

How does the Hornet sound? All I can say that it sounds damn good, I had one aim in developing the sound of the Hornet, first to make it as simple as it can get & to find the Chip that has that quality of sound to make it happen, finally I found what I was looking for. The HORNET has the capability to drive any headphones available in the high-end with ease. The amp has the warmth mids of a tube with the highs & bass to die for. The Hornet can stand on it's tiny feet daring to go toe to toe against anything out there whethear it is portables or home base amps including all my amps first.

Hi, all

after listen for a several times, are your Hornet can get warmth mids ? (Ray say in his thread)
warm mid and forward mid is the same mean ?? (I am a newbie)
if not, burn-in can help it ?

My Hornet is fine, except the Forward-Mid
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #388 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by munkong
after listen for a several times, are your Hornet can get warmth mids ? (Ray say in his thread)
warm mid and forward mid is the same mean ?? (I am a newbie)
if not, burn-in can help it ?

Yes, mids can be both warm and forward......dunno about the burn-in part.

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #390 of 410
She tells me there is hardly any difference between the headphone jack of the ipod and line-out to hornet. Well not enough to warrant carrying around the extra luggage anyway. I didn't want to start arguing about it with her, so I just moved on.
wink.gif
She's likes to keep things simple - ipod and e888.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back