The Hopelessly Derailed ODAC/Objective DAC Anticipation/Discussion Thread
May 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #61 of 256
As I have the O2 amp and think it is a joke(after all the build up and anticipation),I can happily pass on this one(which also saves me a lot of reading, before it actually materializes).

May 3, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #62 of 256
Quote:
Now, with my dNAScope I can compare a giraffe and a horse, and I'll find that their "signal" is 99.9999% the same, so then I'll either auto-fold that 0.0001% difference or raise the blinds.

Whiskey.  Tango.  Foxtrot.

I think I could spend hours thoroughly detailing everything that was wrong with that post but I'm just going to point out that a DAC's voltage output is it's end result.  To make a proper analogy you'd need a Star Trek transporter to record the type, location, and state of every atom in the body of the giraffe and the horse because the giraffe and the horse are the end result of the DNA.

How similar do you think those two data sets would be?

May 3, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #63 of 256
Quote:

Well to be fair, it's a pre-announcement thread.  In the iBasso DX100 thread there were 200+ pages of discussion before it was released!!

I think the DX100 is a good candidate for blind-testing versus the ODAC+O2.  I hope that happens and I think a lot of DX100 listeners may be interested.  They both share a very similar DAC chip, I'm not clear on the differences.  Comparing any Hifiman DAP (for example) would be extremely easy, we're all familiar with the defunct Clip+ versus HM-801 discussion.

I seem to recall that 180 of those pages were yourself, maverickronin and tukorocks telling one another how awesome the DX100 would be, but I dont recall any of the philosophical discussions which have dominated  this thread. I have no particular interest in an ODAC vs DX100 comparison - even if the DAC was installed in my current O2 housing, I would never consider using it portably. It has no dedicated source capability and will always be tied to another machine - compare that to the DX100 (or HiFiMan/Colorfly) and its a different beast.  As Currawong mentioned in another thread, he was able to audition Linn kit from the DX100 and stun the salesman in the process. Granted, its considerably more expensive than the ODA/ODAC, but seems like a better allocation of funds from this side of the Pacific.  

May 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #64 of 256
Originally Posted by maverickronin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the horse because the giraffe and the horse are the end result of the DNA.

How similar do you think those two data sets would be?

I've never seen a horse or giraffe, the source code tells me they should be ~99.9999% identical, I don't actually have any reason to believe they should differ to any great extent.  If your subjective evaluation is they're totally different, that's up to you, but you have to support it with a blind test, the differences you see are subject to psychovisuals, which I've outlined for you, why you're seeing things, it's that simple.  I have evidence, you have subjective evaluation.

May 3, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #65 of 256

[/] It has no dedicated source capability and will always be tied to another machine [/]

Hold your horses.  All you need is the smallest and cheapest laptop you can find, and glue them together.  If you'd rather buy the DX100, well, you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

May 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #66 of 256
Quote:
I seem to recall that 180 of those pages were yourself, maverickronin and tukorocks telling one another how awesome the DX100 would be, but I dont recall any of the philosophical discussions which have dominated  this thread.

I don't recall posting in that thread...

Quote:
I've never seen a horse or giraffe, the source code tells me they should be ~99.9999% identical, I don't actually have any reason to believe they should differ to any great extent.  If your subjective evaluation is they're totally different, that's up to you, but you have to support it with a blind test, the differences you see are subject to psychovisuals, which I've outlined for you, why you're seeing things, it's that simple.  I have evidence, you have subjective evaluation.

May 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #67 of 256
@maverick

Lima Oscar Lima

I'm going to buy one of these, then fail the blind test against my sound card/phone/fisher price radio using my Stax rig.

No, seriously, I can't even tell sauces apart sighted. I've tried really hard too.

This is cheap enough to just 'have around' I guess?. I think it will fit nicely in with the best DIY Obj2 build of all time.

May 3, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #69 of 256
Quote:
This is cheap enough to just 'have around' I guess?. I think it will fit nicely in with the best DIY Obj2 build of all time.

So what do we call it once you put it in your Pony 2 Pony Obj2 build?  It needs a cool name.

May 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #72 of 256
Quote:
So what do we call it once you put it in your Pony 2 Pony Obj2 build?  It needs a cool name.

I'm up for suggestions. I've got like, a month to come up with something?

Quote:

Not even a flicker of recognition?

I don't know man, they're both just red to me.
frown.gif
(and if hells kitchen is anything to go by, blind taste testing is really really hard!)

On a slightly more serious note, if nobody redraws the schematic after a while, I might do it for the lols.

May 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #73 of 256
I don't know who's heard, but apparently the secret sauce may not be as secret once the thing starts shipping:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/211583-odac-general-technical-discussions.html#3

(ODAC schematic will be released)

I'm not sure if this example was to be taken seriously, but I'll give it some treatment regardless, since it brings up an important point.

The system of DNA input -> animal output is very complicated and clearly extremely nonlinear.  Because of the way protein geometries work (think folding), a small mutation in DNA can cause a very significant difference in the output.  Swap some of those A, C, T, G, or remove or add some, and you can end up with structures of different form.  Also obviously there's a lot more inputs that go into an animal than just the DNA—environmental factors, food, etc.

For amps and DACs we're looking at electrical systems for which very small changes in input (voltage to headphones) cause very small changes in output (sound produced).  This is pretty obviously true because the systems are pretty much time-invariant and reasonably close to linear.

May 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #74 of 256
I don't know whether to laugh at this thread or ban you all. I'll decide tomorrow morning (it's 11pm here). 
cool.gif

Some things to consider: Measurements are almost all made using sweeps, tones and impulses. This is not the same as playing music.  Also, while it's easy for a lot of gear to sound good with a lot of music, try playing very complex and dynamic orchestral music (I use Eiji Oue's Bolero! Orchestral Fireworks) and see if the sound doesn't compress or blur. Cheap gear usually fails this for much the same reasons in a source as an amp -- both contain amplification stages of some kind and if they are insufficient, can't keep up with the continual rapid changes in voltage. The DX100, since you guys have been mentioning it, sounds a bit blurry playing complex classical. I know though that if I were listening to a simple jazz piece using the DX100 as a source and comparing it to my main DAC connected to my Stax rig, it is much harder to tell them apart. The difference in detail compared to an Esoteric K-01 is much more apparent, however.

Oh, by the way, that Linn amp ruined me. I want it more than a Blue Hawaii. It is that good. There are almost none available second-hand anywhere.

May 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #75 of 256
duno where to start

whether any powered component in existence doesn't exceed the maximum slew rate required for audio,

or the fact u think the required rate is dependent on the number of frequencies or density of frequencies present and not the maximum frequency

Quote:
can't keep up with the continual rapid changes in voltage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back