The Hippo Amp
Mar 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 21
Hmm, I am going to Jaben tomorrow and probably have a chance to try it out.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No exp with it but if you are looking in that price range, you may consider the new e7 here at $81.19 and you can read Martin Sägmüller's review here.

Something about the E7 on DX in case you haven't read it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got words from FiiO. The E7 that DX is selling is indeed part of the pre-production sample batch. Somehow DX is able to get their hand on a very limited number of them that are supposed to be sample for the sale agents (or maybe it is the sale agents that give their sample to DX for sale?). In any case, those are not the final production run so buy it at your own risk.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Something about the E7 on DX in case you haven't read it.

Good point ClieOS, I'm not in the market for one just thought since the hippo is close to $75, it would be a good idea to look around in the same price range. Personally I'm waiting on the pico slim
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point ClieOS, I'm not in the market for one just thought since the hippo is close to $75, it would be a good idea to look around in the same price range. Personally I'm waiting on the pico slim
smily_headphones1.gif

x2 for pico slim but I stumbled upon this when I was searching for more portable amp and I couldn't find any reviews not even impression about the hippos and thus I started this thread. The form factor makes it quite interesting the only thing that matter now is how good will it sound. Anyone care to share?

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 21
Gosh, I have one lying around and I am actually giving it away free to anyone buying my Sony EX500. Never used it because I am always using the iBasso 10. Maybe I should give it a try.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 21
Just got back from Singapore. My impression of Hippo Amp is that it largely shares the same sound signature with Go-Vibe Derringer (which also by Jaben) I wrote an impression before. I didn't compare them side by side so I can't be sure if they share the amp design or not. Physically they are very different though. Derringer has an aluminum casing while Hippo Amp has a black PVC hard case, kind of reminds me of Linearossa W1 but smaller. A good thing about the case is that the line-in and the headphone are positioned on both end, like an FiiO E3, and the volume control is on the side. Due to the metal case, Derringer has both the line-in and headphone-out at the same side of the volume control and makes it a little difficult to position the cables. This obviously won't be a problem with Hippo Amp, though I can imagine Hippo Amp will have less EMI resistance.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crossroads amp?? u mean Edge??

To be honest, I don't remember the name but thought it said "crossroads" on it, it was identical in looks and was the little amp that Uncle Wilson was giving away like a pez dispenser at CanJam Ft. Laud
biggrin.gif

@ ClieOS, thanks for the update and opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Just got back from Singapore. My impression of Hippo Amp is that it largely shares the same sound signature with Go-Vibe Derringer (which also by Jaben) I wrote an impression before. I didn't compare them side by side so I can't be sure if they share the amp design or not. Physically they are very different though. Derringer has an aluminum casing while Hippo Amp has a black PVC hard case, kind of reminds me of Linearossa W1 but smaller. A good thing about the case is that the line-in and the headphone are positioned on both end, like an FiiO E3, and the volume control is on the side. Due to the metal case, Derringer has both the line-in and headphone-out at the same side of the volume control and makes it a little difficult to position the cables. This obviously won't be a problem with Hippo Amp, though I can imagine Hippo Amp will have less EMI resistance.

Thanks for your impression. Do you think this will go well with the e-Q7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back