The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #691 of 1,312
Folks, has BT tech or receivers (such as 5K,BTR5, ES100 etc.) reach the same audiophile quality, if not better, than listening thru wired sources such as LG V60 or V50 phones? My music are lossless files, mostly ripped CD quality, and some MQA or high res 192khz encoded files.

I don't have LG phones, but I have to say that I'm very happy with the Qudelix 5K. I couldn't perceive a difference in SQ while listening through the Qudelix on LDAC versus listening on my desktop rig (various dac/amps). YMMV.

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #692 of 1,312
Got Shanling UP2 as I was tired of using AirPods Pro (air pressure). I have fair share of experience with ESS as I like the detailed sound it provide compared to Cirrus Logic we usually find in iPhones/MacBooks. But the thing that is common with all ESS (especially 9018) is that it has metallic mids. The mids doesn't sound natural which is not usually the case with Cirrus Logic. I am going to try something from AKM side, maybe that can provide the natural sound I am looking for. But I don't think any bluetooth adapter is providing option from that house.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #693 of 1,312
Got Shanling UP2 as I was tired of using AirPods Pro (air pressure). I have fair share of experience with ESS as I like the detailed sound it provide compared to Cirrus Logic we usually find in iPhones/MacBooks. But the thing that is common with all ESS (especially 9018) is that it has metallic mids. The mids doesn't sound natural which is not usually the case with Cirrus Logic. I am going to try something from AKM side, maybe that can provide the natural sound I am looking for. But I don't think any bluetooth adapter is providing option from that house.
ES100 and BTR3K are both AK DACs

I agree on the 9018, which is why I sold my Pioneer 300R and Burson Conductor Air

I had the Shanling M0 which used the 9218p like the Quedelix 5K and didn't mind the sound on the Shanling, just didn't like the tiny player itself and wanted balanced

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #695 of 1,312
Wanted to say thank you for the shirt clip recommendation. I had bookmarked it and took my time ordering one. It is marketed as an eye glasses holder/clip. For BT adapters I wasn't sure if it was going to make much of difference but now that I'm using it I like it. Especially nice with t-shirts. Depending on the IEM & cable, even a light adapter like the ES100 can weigh down/flip over the collar on a t-shirt. This clip allows you to "hang" the adapter anywhere, strong magnet.

For those of you who use BT headphone adapter, here is one accessory that I strongly recommend - it is called ReadeREST on Amazon but you can find similar products on Aliexpress if you search "magnetic glasses holder". Instead of clipping your BT adapter on an uncomfortable / awkward position on your shirt, this allows you to clip your BT adapter on it with far less restriction on how you position the BT adapter.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #696 of 1,312
Wanted to say thank you for the shirt clip recommendation...

I own the ReadeREST before I even have any BT adapter that needs it, so it definitely comes in very handy when I was looking for a way to get a BT adapter close to my chest but not straight to the shirt collar. Unfortunately this won't work for Qudelix 5K but I have a different recommendation for it, also added to the first post now.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #697 of 1,312
I own the ReadeREST before I even have any BT adapter that needs it, so it definitely comes in very handy when I was looking for a way to get a BT adapter close to my chest but not straight to the shirt collar. Unfortunately this won't work for Qudelix 5K but I have a different recommendation for it, also added to the first post now.
I'm sorry for asking a question off topic. do you think 5K would be able to drive HiFiman Ananda?

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #698 of 1,312
I'm sorry for asking a question off topic. do you think 5K would be able to drive HiFiman Ananda?

By Ananda's spec, 5K should be able to drive it, especially with balanced configuration. How well is something I can't say for sure.

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #699 of 1,312

Interesting to note that the reading glasses magnetic holder won't work with the 5K. With the access card holder (which you've added to the first post), I wonder if the metal bar that has to be glued to the 5K interferes with its strong BT signal?

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #700 of 1,312
Interesting to note that the reading glasses magnetic holder won't work with the 5K. With the access card holder (which you've added to the first post), I wonder if the metal bar that has to be glued to the 5K interferes with its strong BT signal?

Depends on where you glue the metal to - I glued it to the shirt clip, which is already a piece of metal on its own, so it won't cause more interference. If you glue it to the front (which is all plastic), then probably it will have some negative effect

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #701 of 1,312
Depends on where you glue the metal to - I glued it to the shirt clip, which is already a piece of metal on its own, so it won't cause more interference. If you glue it to the front (which is all plastic), then probably it will have some negative effect

Good point, thanks. I'll check it out. One more question: does the glue/adhesive tape appear to be easily removable? I'd hate if it leaves a residue upon removal.

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #702 of 1,312
Good point, thanks. I'll check it out. One more question: does the glue/adhesive tape appear to be easily removable? I'd hate if it leaves a residue upon removal.

It is normal 3M double side foam tape, not impossible to remove cleanly, especially if you use a bit of adhesive remover / organic solvent. But if easy removal is a big concern to you, I'll recommend remove the included foam tape first and replace it with 3M Command foam tape, which is designed to be very easy to remove and generally leave no residue.

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #703 of 1,312
It is normal 3M double side foam tape, not impossible to remove cleanly, especially if you use a bit of adhesive remover / organic solvent. But if easy removal is a big concern to you, I'll recommend remove the included foam tape first and replace it with 3M Command foam tape, which is designed to be very easy to remove and generally leave no residue.

Good idea re: the 3M Command tape. Thanks!

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #704 of 1,312
Picked up a BTR5 for a friend off eBay UK at about 2/3s of retail...looked like my black retail model but on arrival, it has a silver border...could it be an earlier model that had issues or is it latest version after full black? Be interested in what people are receiving just now with BTR5s...

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #705 of 1,312
Picked up a BTR5 for a friend off eBay UK at about 2/3s of retail...looked like my black retail model but on arrival, it has a silver border...could it be an earlier model that had issues or is it latest version after full black? Be interested in what people are receiving just now with BTR5s...

There are three different color version on BTR5 - full black (the original version), blue~purple-ish front/back with silver frame (the more expensive limited 'sky blue' edition) and the black front/back with silver frame (titanium edition). They are all the same internally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back