The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #586 of 1,313
Hi everyone.I'm sorry but I couldn't get through all 39 pages so I'll just ask.I have HiFiMan Sundara..Recommend me the best sounding adapter that will work with them please.I valoe an organic,musical presentation & don't want to change the Sundara SQ..Thanks very much..

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #587 of 1,313
it seems when most people reply to the "apt-x vs LDAC?" question the replies are about apt-x HD vs LDAC, when in preactice there are actually many less devices that support apt-x HD (not just regular apt-x) than support LDAC. these days almost all android phones for instance support LDAC and apt-x but not apt-x HD. so is there a clear differnce between (non HD) apt-x and LDAC?

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #588 of 1,313
it seems when most people reply to the "apt-x vs LDAC?" question the replies are about apt-x HD vs LDAC, when in preactice there are actually many less devices that support apt-x HD (not just regular apt-x) than support LDAC. these days almost all android phones for instance support LDAC and apt-x but not apt-x HD. so is there a clear differnce between (non HD) apt-x and LDAC?

I also want to know

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #589 of 1,313
That ambiguity makes me mad a little bit. Many brands advertise LDAC and aptX support, almost like they’re equivalent, and aptX HD gets lost in the noise. I was told by people who designed high-end BT headphones that there was competition between Qualcomm and Sony, that basically both tried to get exclusive licensing from the brands who sought partnership. That was 2 years ago so maybe things have thawed a little bit with the advent of the BT receiver era.

To me, up to CD quality files I can’t hear any substantial difference, technically basic aptX seems to do the job. I still seek HD support because I feel easier knowing the specs are there and the full bandwidth gets transmitted, even if there’s comp/decompression going on. Also, we’re all looking for that last %, right? While shopping at least; not so much when listening to great tunes as far as I'm concerned!

aptX Adaptive interests me the most but support is thin right now, and yet the mix of stability and compression efficiency should make it the preferable option for smaller receivers, especially true wireless etc.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #590 of 1,313

First, have a read at this: https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-ldac-codec-790690/

Note that there are 3 variants of LDAC: 330 (connection preferred), 660 (normal) and 990 (SQ preferred) kbps, namely referring to how fast the transfer rate / connection speed between the source (i.e. smartphone) and the receiver's end (i.e.BT adapter, headphone, etc). Some smartphone allows only two options (best effort for a mix of 330 and 660, or best SQ for a mix of 660 and 990). Of course, the faster the transmission rate, the better the SQ (less compression) but the less stable the connection. Purely on how lossless the transmission is, aptX is roughly the same / slightly better than LDAC 330 while apt HD is about the level of LDAC 660. So it is never quite an one-to-one comparison when you compared aptX to LDAC, but actually which LDAC (330, 660 or 990) that you are comparing to - aptX to LDAC 330 can go both ways (*you might even prefer high bitrate SBC or AAC over them both), aptX to LDAC 600 might have some small difference but aptX to LDAC 990 should be fairly distinguishable to the ears.

On a side note, the lack of popularity of aptX HD has to do with the lack of compatible BT chipset from Qualcomm, as aptX HD requited the BT chip to be able to handle 24bits yet most Qualcomm BT chips are 16bits only. So aptX HD is almost exclusively implemented on Qualcomm's best BT chip at the time, the CSR8675. On the other hand, If you look at LDAC - which required 24/96, but no specific chips requited. However, Qualcomm already dominated BT chip market anyway so most of the gears are build on the same CSR8675 chipset - that means any BT adapter / headphone maker that wants the best BT chips can have a choice of two codecs, and many picked LDAC since it is backed by Sony (more famous and thus better for marketing) and offer better SQ than aptX HD (well, for the most part user get both supported on the same gear anyway). SO while apx HD never quite get as much exposure as LDAC, Qualcomm still makes money since almsot all LDAC gear uses the Qualcomm BT chip (which also supports aptX HD, though some time manufacturer decided to disable it on the firmware level to simplify implementation and only opted to support LDAC). Personally, I think LDAC being more popular also has a lot to do with Sony's better marketing.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #592 of 1,313
I tried the Hiby codec UTC - it had about a 2 inch range!

I have lost the W5 dongle since, its so small I must have it somewhere..... Might be fun to try it again...

I got all excited about 192K 24bit transmission!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #593 of 1,313
So @ClieOS, what's the verdict? Now that I've gotten all comfortable with my BTR3K, do I need to run out and get the Qudelix-5K?

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #594 of 1,313
So @ClieOS, what's the verdict? Now that I've gotten all comfortable with my BTR3K, do I need to run out and get the Qudelix-5K?

Already did some comparison by ears but haven't done any measurement yet, so it will take a few more days to write it out - in any case, so far the super short version for you is that - unless you really want EQ or extra power output, there is no need to rush out for a 5K.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #595 of 1,313
Qudelix 5K impression added to 2nd post.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #596 of 1,313
Qudelix 5K impression added to 2nd post.

Awesome. I'm sure it's a lot of work to keep an impressions thread like this updated, but it's a great resource and is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #597 of 1,313
Shirt Clip Power Rankings, but I am too lazy to start my own thread and buy enough gear to form a useful opinion so... :sweat_smile:

from what i can tell:

best:

Fiio BTR3K
Fiio BTR5
less best:
shirt.
Shanling UP2
Shanling UP4
least best:

Qdlx 5k
ES100

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #598 of 1,313
I don't know a lot about codecs like apt-X , LDAC, etc and I'm still new to all this, so my question might sound silly. I have an android phone that doesn't have aptX support. Most of my music is in flac or wav format. So, does it make sense for me to buy ES100 or BTR5 if my phone doesn't have aptX? Or am I better off getting non-bluetooth dongle DACs like Dragonfly Red or IFI Hip?

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #599 of 1,313
I don't know a lot about codecs like apt-X , LDAC, etc and I'm still new to all this, so my question might sound silly. I have an android phone that doesn't have aptX support. Most of my music is in flac or wav format. So, does it make sense for me to buy ES100 or BTR5 if my phone doesn't have aptX? Or am I better off getting non-bluetooth dongle DACs like Dragonfly Red or IFI Hip?

What brand/model is your smartphone? It is kinda rare to find an Android phone that doesn't support at least aptX these days.

Anyway, the first thing is for you to decide whether you want the convenience of wireless or not. Even without aptX, your Android should at least have AAC and so you can at least enjoy similar SQ as any Apple iPhone. If you don't need wireless, then dongle will be the next logical choice. Some of the Chinese options are cheaper than Dragonfly but provide just as good, if not better SQ.

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #600 of 1,313
What brand/model is your smartphone? It is kinda rare to find an Android phone that doesn't support at least aptX these days.

Anyway, the first thing is for you to decide whether you want the convenience of wireless or not. Even without aptX, your Android should at least have AAC and so you can at least enjoy similar SQ as any Apple iPhone. If you don't need wireless, then dongle will be the next logical choice. Some of the Chinese options are cheaper than Dragonfly but provide just as good, if not better SQ.

Thank you. I have Honor 8 and according to these specifications, it doesn't have aptX or AAC. I'm thinking of replacing my phone with one of the LG phones with the quad-dac later. So, I guess it makes sense for me to settle for a cheaper option until then. Do you have any recommendations for a cheaper alternative for Dragonfly under $100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back