The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #318 of 1,312
Is it possible to bring out a lossless receiver along lines of home networks DLNA/upNP over WIFI Direct...is it a cost and or size issue
to do wireless lossless like these other lossy formats ?

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #320 of 1,312
Have anyone listened to oriolus 1795 yet? Maybe in comparison to btr5?

I think the price and size of 1795 kinda makes it much more of a niche product in an already niche market. However, all the impression I read of it so far (mostly in Chinese) has said that it is great sounding. I won't doubt it as the guy behind Oriolus is the same person behind iBasso for many years (*the two split a few years ago).

Is it possible to bring out a lossless receiver along lines of home networks DLNA/upNP over WIFI Direct...is it a cost and or size issue
to do wireless lossless like these other lossy formats ?

Bluetooth, as least for 5.0 and foreseeable next few years, will unlikely has the bandwidth to do full lossless transmission. But it is not to say we don't already has similar portable product in the market now. i.e. Chord Poly + Mojo.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #322 of 1,312
btw can't find 1795 at oriolus site https://www.en.oriolus.jp/products
As soon as it has mic, it need some sort of case with clip I suppose.

A little complicated to explain - the guy behinds 1795, as well as many older iBasso products, owns his own factory in China but not his own brand. The way he like to do business is to pair up with another company that will handle the branding as well as international market, while he and his factory will focus on engineering and manufacturing, as well as sale in China. This is how iBasso was ran in the past, and this is how Oriolus is ran currently. So far, 1795 is sold officially only in China, hence why you don't see it on the Japanese (*international) site - or at least till the Japanese partner decided to bring it out of China officially.

BTW, Oriolus is 95.9mm x 50.7mm x 15.4mm with an weight of 109g, which is almost 3 times the size and 2.5 times the weight of BTR5 and about the size and weight of a small cellphone / DAP, so you probably won't want to clip it anywhere on your upper body. As far as I know it doesn't come with a case and likely is meant to go into the user's pocket.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #323 of 1,312
What a story, thanks for sharing!
So I suppose it plays in xdsd field in terms of size and scenarios of use. Curious, how do they see using microphone then. Like you answer the call using this bt reciever and talk using its mic, no need to reach a phone in the other pocket/bag/room/city?

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #324 of 1,312
A little complicated to explain - the guy behinds 1795, as well as many older iBasso products, owns his own factory in China but not his own brand. The way he like to do business is to pair up with another company that will handle the branding as well as international market, while he and his factory will focus on engineering and manufacturing, as well as sale in China. This is how iBasso was ran in the past, and this is how Oriolus is ran currently. So far, 1795 is sold officially only in China, hence why you don't see it on the Japanese (*international) site - or at least till the Japanese partner decided to bring it out of China officially.

BTW, Oriolus is 95.9mm x 50.7mm x 15.4mm with an weight of 109g, which is almost 3 times the size and 2.5 times the weight of BTR5 and about the size and weight of a small cellphone / DAP, so you probably won't want to clip it anywhere on your upper body. As far as I know it doesn't come with a case and likely is meant to go into the user's pocket.

That explains it! I always thought Oriolus was a Japanese company, but I guess the truth is somewhere in between. The 1795 is way to big to be of any use. Might as well clip a DAP (again who would do this) to your shirt if you want to use this?

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #325 of 1,312
Have anyone listened to oriolus 1795 yet? Maybe in comparison to btr5?

I ve heard it and it sounds decent! Could only compare it to my XDSD in bluetooth mode. The Oriolus sounds slightly brighter and has maybe slightly better detail retrieval. XDSD a bit rounder and warmer. But they both offer a similar quality of sound. I yet have to compare it to the Btr5 which I am eagerly waiting for.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #326 of 1,312
Hi all, new member here. This thread has a wealth of information. I have a bunch of questions but will try to streamline them. My situation is rather simplistic, I just want to put a better bluetooth receiver, pre-Amp and DAC in front of my Audi MMI 3G+ (2015). I found an AMI cable that has USB-C and 3.5mm headphone jack together, so I'm hoping to just keep it in my glove box permanently with power and audio always connected. Post-receiver, I have a Mosconi DSP and Amp powering some classic MB Quart 6.5" speakers, and a JL Sub. Honestly, I'm just trying to feed it a better wireless signal and hopefully take advantage of some of the newer DAC technology to get a better soundstage, etc.

So, I originally ordered the W5, however I'm now realizing that it doesn't seem to support power + use at the same time since the darn USB-C port is on the charging case. So I'm now second guessing that decision as I really just want to use it as a passthrough, and I'm hoping it will never need to be manually charged/unplugged. Let me know if I have that wrong.

My budget is roughly $100, so I'm going to rule out BTR5, 1795, and some of the products in that $150-250 range. Given that size doesn't matter for my use case, here's what I think I'm left with:

W3 - looks like this could power/use at same time. Can anyone confirm it can work that way? And can it auto-power down, or is the battery going to run down every time i power off my car? The price is right.
ES100 - seems like the gold standard as it does everything, including plays nice with car. I get the impression the sound is not the best of the bunch, but not a bad option. Looks like the price dropped to $80 yesterday.
Qudelix - obviously not out yet, but it seems like this thing is really promising. I emailed them to see if there is any update on timeline. Obviously some risk of being an early adopter/bugs/support longevity, etc.
UP2/UP4 - seems like people aren't super satisfied.
BTR3 - price is right, but reviews seem so-so.

I am leaning towards W3 vs waiting a month or two for Qudelix. Thoughts?

Finally, because I'm so naive and this is my first one, I am assuming that:

1.) When i power it via USB-C and hook up headphone jack, my car stereo will NOT be able to render the song info on the display screen, and I'll be using my phone to drive that.
2.) My Apple iPhone X will perform nicely, but if I go to Android I can take advantage of better BT codec support.
3.) And my dumbest question of all - in order to take advantage of the DAC, i don't need my phone plugged in to the USB-C. The DAC is still employed over BT (wireless), correct?

Thank you to anyone who is willing to weigh in :)

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #327 of 1,312
Hi all, new member here. This thread has a wealth of information. I have a bunch of questions but will try to streamline them. My situation is rather simplistic, I just want to put a better bluetooth receiver, pre-Amp and DAC in front of my Audi MMI 3G+ (2015). I found an AMI cable that has USB-C and 3.5mm headphone jack together, so I'm hoping to just keep it in my glove box permanently with power and audio always connected. Post-receiver, I have a Mosconi DSP and Amp powering some classic MB Quart 6.5" speakers, and a JL Sub. Honestly, I'm just trying to feed it a better wireless signal and hopefully take advantage of some of the newer DAC technology to get a better soundstage, etc.

So, I originally ordered the W5, however I'm now realizing that it doesn't seem to support power + use at the same time since the darn USB-C port is on the charging case. So I'm now second guessing that decision as I really just want to use it as a passthrough, and I'm hoping it will never need to be manually charged/unplugged. Let me know if I have that wrong.

My budget is roughly $100, so I'm going to rule out BTR5, 1795, and some of the products in that $150-250 range. Given that size doesn't matter for my use case, here's what I think I'm left with:

W3 - looks like this could power/use at same time. Can anyone confirm it can work that way? And can it auto-power down, or is the battery going to run down every time i power off my car? The price is right.
ES100 - seems like the gold standard as it does everything, including plays nice with car. I get the impression the sound is not the best of the bunch, but not a bad option. Looks like the price dropped to $80 yesterday.
Qudelix - obviously not out yet, but it seems like this thing is really promising. I emailed them to see if there is any update on timeline. Obviously some risk of being an early adopter/bugs/support longevity, etc.
UP2/UP4 - seems like people aren't super satisfied.
BTR3 - price is right, but reviews seem so-so.

I am leaning towards W3 vs waiting a month or two for Qudelix. Thoughts?

Finally, because I'm so naive and this is my first one, I am assuming that:

1.) When i power it via USB-C and hook up headphone jack, my car stereo will NOT be able to render the song info on the display screen, and I'll be using my phone to drive that.
2.) My Apple iPhone X will perform nicely, but if I go to Android I can take advantage of better BT codec support.
3.) And my dumbest question of all - in order to take advantage of the DAC, i don't need my phone plugged in to the USB-C. The DAC is still employed over BT (wireless), correct?

The ES100 doesn't have USB-C, so it won't work with your cable unless you use an adapter. I'm not sure where you read that it doesn't have good sound. IMHO That's not the case, plus it has amazing EQ. It also works when powered.

If you use the headphone in to your head unit, you won't get any art/title. Not sure how the phone would push that to the receiver since it's not the direct sound source. Either Android or iPhone has very good codecs, but some/most Androids have LDAC, which is considered the best one,although I'm really not sure you'll notice the difference between that and AAC or APT-X in the car. LDAC also doesn't do well with interference. No, you don't plug in your phone if you're using it wirelessly.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #328 of 1,312
The ES100 doesn't have USB-C, so it won't work with your cable unless you use an adapter. I'm not sure where you read that it doesn't have good sound. IMHO That's not the case, plus it has amazing EQ. It also works when powered.

If you use the headphone in to your head unit, you won't get any art/title. Not sure how the phone would push that to the receiver since it's not the direct sound source. Either Android or iPhone has very good codecs, but some/most Androids have LDAC, which is considered the best one,although I'm really not sure you'll notice the difference between that and AAC or APT-X in the car. LDAC also doesn't do well with interference. No, you don't plug in your phone if you're using it wirelessly.

Didn’t mean to suggest it doesn’t have good sound, but it came across like w5 and potentially the chips in BTR5 and Qudelix (same) might be superior.

Thanks for your feedback and reminding me it doesn’t have USB-C. Looks like it’s micro now that you mention it.

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #329 of 1,312

I'll have my W3 in a few days, then I'll be able to say more about it. Qudelix 5K is still a long way off though.

Answer:
1) Yes, your car unit will not know what is playing.
2) Also yes, but make sure your Android phone supports LDAC first. Most do these days, but not all.
3) Yes again. Not need to plug your phone in.

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #330 of 1,312
I'll have my W3 in a few days, then I'll be able to say more about it. Qudelix 5K is still a long way off though.

Answer:
1) Yes, your car unit will not know what is playing.
2) Also yes, but make sure your Android phone supports LDAC first. Most do these days, but not all.
3) Yes again. Not need to plug your phone in.

Awesome, very interested in hearing your perception of W3, particularly whether it shuts off if idle, and if it can be used while charging, along with quality.

Also thx for confirming, I am looking at either the Pixel 4 or the S11e coming out in Feb.

One thing that seemed strange about the W3/W5 worth noting was that it appeared as if only Android OS’s can update firmware via HiBy Blue. Based on that callout, I presume iOS can’t...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back