The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #211 of 1,312
So it means that it would be possible to buy it on ali?

No, our dealers on Aliexpress follow schedule for international releases.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 28, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #212 of 1,312
I really hope future versions of these adapters can have wireless charging. These small electronic devices I think benefit the most from that. They are small mAh so doesn't take long anyway, and also less chance to break the little door or connector.

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #213 of 1,312
I really hope future versions of these adapters can have wireless charging. These small electronic devices I think benefit the most from that. They are small mAh so doesn't take long anyway, and also less chance to break the little door or connector.
Simple replaceable battery would be great...then you could insert a backup if caught with no power with a sensibly designed insertion/extraction method.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #214 of 1,312
Wouldn't a wireless coil be bigger than the device?

Who knows if it would catch radio interference too.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #215 of 1,312
DSC_0200.jpg

BTR5 has landed. It really doesn't look that big sitting next to BTR3, but it is on the large side of things for an BT adapter.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #216 of 1,312
Simple replaceable battery would be great...then you could insert a backup if caught with no power with a sensibly designed insertion/extraction method.
Yeah but replaceable battery would make it larger, which is what I don't want. Also proprietary batteries, chargers etc, ew. Battery life on these little devices have improved by a ton, and I think will do so even more.

Wouldn't a wireless coil be bigger than the device?

Who knows if it would catch radio interference too.
I have a little sports motion sensor about the size of a quarter and about 3/4 of an inch tall. It can charge wirelessly. Also, wouldn't be using it while wirelessly charging so interference is moot unless you think the coil would affect transmission but it doesn't affect cell phones (who knows maybe placed further away).

BTR5 has landed. It really doesn't look that big sitting next to BTR3, but it is on the large side of things for an BT adapter.
Hope you can turn off the display for better battery life. Not sure why they made it so it has worse battery life than BTR3 though with more capacity.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #217 of 1,312
Hope you can turn off the display for better battery life. Not sure why they made it so it has worse battery life than BTR3 though with more capacity.

The OLED screen auto turn off after a set time (adjustable from 5 to 30 seconds after idle). However, given OLED is the most efficient type of screen, it probably makes little to no difference in battery life, especially compared to how much battery is consumed by the DAC/amp and the SoC chips. The difference in power and control going from BTR3 to BTR5 is vast, to say the least.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #218 of 1,312
The OLED screen auto turn off after a set time (adjustable from 5 to 30 seconds after idle). However, given OLED is the most efficient type of screen, it probably makes little to no difference in battery life, especially compared to how much battery is consumed by the DAC/amp and the SoC chips. The difference in power and control going from BTR3 to BTR5 is vast, to say the least.
In that case, RIP battery life LOL.

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #219 of 1,312
Does ldac equalizer work

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #222 of 1,312
no, ldac and usb equaliser both don't work.
Bit dissapointing, the es100 still has a plus over the btr5 I feel.
Mainly due to the better app and full eq control
Same on q5s

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #223 of 1,312
Well... Tell us the truth. How does it sound? Do you feel any difference (balanced \ unbalanced) comparing to BTR3? And most important - is it worth it?

I only have a few hours on the BTR5 so far, so this isn't anything set in stone but only an initial observation:

Listening condition (LDAC SQ priority, no EQ and listening to Spotify very high quality)
BTR5 - Apodizing fast roll-off type 1, distortion compensation off, DAC clock divider 1/4, low gain
W5 - ES9218P, single-ended, stock setting
ES100 - 2X current mode on 3.5mm, 1X voltage on 2.5mm, Short Delay Slow Roll-off, 4X sampling

All listening is done on a pair of DQSM Turandot, stock 2.5mm termination with DD-HiFi's 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapter.

For 3.5mm single-ended:
W5 has the cleanest and most dynamic sound between the three. Despite BTR5 having the same DAC/amp (single ES9218P on the 3.5mm output), the background on the presentation isn't quite as dark and open as that of W3 - it is subtle but noticeable. Between BTR5 and ES100, I can tell BTR5 offers better control where bass note sound deeper and more impactful, which very well could be a result of having more power. Beyond that, the technical difference the two isn't large enough for me to say one if distinctly better than the other, though I can foresee BTR5 might have the upper hand when it comes to more demanding headphones.

For 2.5mm balanced:
2.5mm is where BTR5 shines. Though not a fair comparison since W5 doesn't have balanced output, I can easily tell that I prefer BTR5's 2.5mm over W5's 3.5mm as BTR3's 2.5mm output is just as clean/dark as W5's 3.5mm while offering better separation that probably a balanced output can deliver. Between BTR5 and ES100's balanced output however, it is less clean cut. On one hand, ES100 sounds more neutral while BTR5 has a very fainted sense of warmth. On the other hand, BTR5 offer noticeable better control over ES100. The difference isn't big enough and I think ultimately it will be down to personal taste to say which one a person will prefer.

Last but not least, while EQ doesn't work on BTR5's LDAC, the various filters, distortion compensation as well as clock divider settings do have fairly noticeable impact over the sound, especially on the texture of the music. These have much bigger impact than what on the ES100. I actually still playing around with different setting and haven't settled on one combination yet. It is actually fun to change things around.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #224 of 1,312
What I will be A/B-ing (though a bit unfair) is the BTR5 (lossy) to E1DA9038S "IvanDAC/amp" (lossless hooked in phone) really just to see how close BTR5 can get to it and what the trade off will be going untethered.

Edit : Do you guys run the source at full volume with BT devices since there are 2 volume controls I think....one on source one on BT receiver.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #225 of 1,312
What I will be A/B-ing (though a bit unfair) is the BTR5 (lossy) to E1DA9038S "IvanDAC/amp" (lossless hooked in phone) really just to see how close BTR5 can get to it and what the trade off will be going untethered.

Edit : Do you guys run the source at full volume with BT devices since there are 2 volume controls I think....one on source one on BT receiver.

You can also use BTR5 as USB DAC with smartphone as well.

You always want to keep the BT volume on the phone to the max and use the control on the adapter for fine tuning, otherwise you might lose some bitdepth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back