The Hi-Fi + Hi-Res Audiophiles' Bluetooth Headphone Adapter Thread - [17.Oct.21] iFi GO Blu impression added
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #377 of 1,312
Does the FiiO BTR5 support line-in controls on headphones for Apple devices (both as Bluetooth and USB DAC)? I am referring to the ones that use OMTP, rather than CTIA (reference: https://mashtips.com/apple-headphone-on-android-or-windows/ )

IIRC, OMTP standard, originally promoted by Nokia and Ericsson alike, has been abandoned by the smartphone industry a few years ago when they switch to CTIA standard, which is promoted by Apple and Google. Unless you are using very old headset, there is very small chance you will find OMTP vs CTIA a problem. Every new headphone since about 5~6 years ago comes only as CTIA configuration.

BTR5 supports in-line control as USB DAC, but only as hardware volume control for BTR5 and not software volume control on Windows / smartphone. It doesn't support mic-input nor play/pause..

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #379 of 1,312
ClieOS,

have you heard the AK10 and how does it sound/compare to the current units like the UP4 and BTR5?

No, haven't heard it myself.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #380 of 1,312
Jan 12, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #381 of 1,312
Some interesting bluetooth news, LC3 codec- focus not on improving audio quality but improving compression efficiency and battery life, as well as simultaneous multistreaming. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...i-stream-audio-to-next-generation-of-devices/

It will require both ends (source and receiver) to support it. which probably won't happen in a year or two. But as you have said, it isn't targeting the HiFi community so we won't see much benefit from it.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #382 of 1,312
IIRC, OMTP standard, originally promoted by Nokia and Ericsson alike, has been abandoned by the smartphone industry a few years ago when they switch to CTIA standard, which is promoted by Apple and Google. Unless you are using very old headset, there is very small chance you will find OMTP vs CTIA a problem. Every new headphone since about 5~6 years ago comes only as CTIA configuration.

I hope this is not too off-topic. So, headphones, such as RHA T20i, which are marketed for Apple devices, should have CTIA-compatible controls (rather than OMTP) and should work with FiiO BTR5?

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #383 of 1,312
I hope this is not too off-topic. So, headphones, such as RHA T20i, which are marketed for Apple devices, should have CTIA-compatible controls (rather than OMTP) and should work with FiiO BTR5?

Yes, it should.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #386 of 1,312
I actually have the same question, I am thinking about buying the BTR5, but I don't plan to use it with its balanced output. What about power on the hiby W3? The listed specs are 32 mW @ 32 ohms vs 80 mW @ 32 ohms for the Fiio.

Power is quite decent on the W3. Might not be as much as BTR5, but should be enough for most headphone out there.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #387 of 1,312
I actually have the same question, I am thinking about buying the BTR5, but I don't plan to use it with its balanced output. What about power on the hiby W3? The listed specs are 32 mW @ 32 ohms vs 80 mW @ 32 ohms for the Fiio.
If you have iPhone dongle it is exactly the same amount of power. The Dongle is more U shaped comparing to W3 and you may perceive more details from it. I think W3 should be a perfect match for V\U shaped IEMs to balance the sound. It works perfect with Apple CCA adaptor and I definitely like the W3 design better then ES100 but ES is probably 50% more powerful from single ended, it did drive my HD660S better.

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #388 of 1,312
If you have iPhone dongle it is exactly the same amount of power. The Dongle is more U shaped comparing to W3 and you may perceive more details from it. I think W3 should be a perfect match for V\U shaped IEMs to balance the sound. It works perfect with Apple CCA adaptor and I definitely like the W3 design better then ES100 but ES is probably 50% more powerful from single ended, it did drive my HD660S better.

Did you use the ES100 single ended with the HD660s? How was the sound out of it?
Actually I am leaning towards the Fiio BTR5 because it has more power and I would like to use it on high impedance headphones like HD58X and DT1990.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #389 of 1,312
Did you use the ES100 single ended with the HD660s? How was the sound out of it?
Actually I am leaning towards the Fiio BTR5 because it has more power and I would like to use it on high impedance headphones like HD58X and DT1990.
I used ES100 SE with 660s and it was surprisingly good driving them, it has high mids\lower highs forward sound and I liked it better then LG G7 HIM. I actually preferred it to Mojo tuning when used as wired DAC. I think AKM mobile dac\amp implementations are better then ESS solutions, that Velvet Sound is something special. ES100 SQ is the same from SE or Balanced, just more power and ES100 could properly drive my power hungry Final E5000 earphones.
I would buy both FIIO and ES and return one. I noticed that they all need at leas 48 hours burn in.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #390 of 1,312
I used ES100 SE with 660s and it was surprisingly good driving them, it has high mids\lower highs forward sound and I liked it better then LG G7 HIM. I actually preferred it to Mojo tuning when used as wired DAC. I think AKM mobile dac\amp implementations are better then ESS solutions, that Velvet Sound is something special. ES100 SQ is the same from SE or Balanced, just more power and ES100 could properly drive my power hungry Final E5000 earphones.
I would buy both FIIO and ES and return one. I noticed that they all need at leas 48 hours burn in.
image.jpg

And do yourself a favor and get one of those balanced cables for HD6XX. It makes a huge difference comparing to stock, opening up the details and you can use it with ES100 or BTR5 Balanced. I use it with W3 today with FIIO 2.5 to SE adaptor and I like what I hear, plenty of volume from W3 on Max and all dynamics and bass is there. If I didn’t get that balanced cable I would sell my HD660S long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back