The HeadRoom Tours Head-Fi Meets Tour
May 23, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #121 of 153
Okay, I booked a room for the Texas stop of the Head-fi/Headroom tour on Wednesday, June 8th. It's at:

La Mirage Resort
10925 Briar Forest
Houston TX, 77042

The room is just like a house, with kitchen, couches, tables and even a billiards table. I think it will work nicely for a small metting. And if we don't end up using it, nothing's lost.

My e-mail is in my profile, if there are any questions or you can PM me here. Also, let me know if you plan on coming and what gear you're going to bring.

Here's my thread about what I have set up: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...98#post1405498

May 25, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #122 of 153
Thanks, guys, for working on this while I was gone. It'll be the weekend before I really get caught up on other things enough to get back and focus on the upcomming meets, but it's great to see progress and it all sounds good. So, I will be answering PMs and getting back to you all over the next week.

In the mean time I'll try to post pix today and tomorrow. I got my pix in the Minneapolis thread.

Thanks again, and looking forward to hitting the road again.

May 30, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #124 of 153
I've done some updating to the top post. I've cancelled Philly. No one volunteered, I guess there are too many options in the area with the NY and DC meets.

I'm considering cancelling Toronto and moving Windsor to Saturday 2nd so Detroit folks could show up. Please chime in on the Windsor thread.

Jun 3, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #125 of 153
Just letting you guys know I'm starting to drive today. A quick stop in Elko Nevada to drop off my daughter for her summer visitation with her Mom. Sunday AM I start driving from there to Texas.

I'll try to catch up as I manage to find wireless connections, but don't expect quick replies.

Hosts! In case you need me my cell # is 406-570-9841.

Everyone else, you didn't just see that.
blink.gif

Cheers guys! Looking forward to meeting everybody.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #126 of 153
Hey Tyll, I had no idea about the Headroom tour!!!! I just checked the Headfi.org website!!!
If you need help, let me know (Houston). I volunteered in Austin, 3 years ago, great memories!!

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #128 of 153
I bring sad, sad tidings indeed. Behind the scenes, Dara (VP Operations at HeadRoom) has been trying to get the red tape squared away for the trip to Canada and Europe. It boils down to this (and there’s a lot of boiling here): we have to post a bond of %35 of the value of the equipment. A certified check, that will be cashed, for $20,000 will be theirs for about three months, plus a wheelbarrow filled of paperwork that will take somebody’s time for 20 hours. HOLY COW! That’s a lot of dough! Dough HeadRoom doesn’t have at the moment; we just spent all our cash and half our reserves to produce, tool up, and fill inventory with new product. There is no way I can pony up $20,000 TWICE once to go to Canada and once for Europe! What really pisses me off about this is that I lean a bit to the left, and I liked the whole NAFTA idea, BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HELP ME OUT AS WELL AS MY HEMISPHERIC NEIGHBORS! At the moment it looks like an international conspiracy to make it impossible for an American businessman to peddle his wares across the boarder; and the US Customs bit of it was actually harder than the Canadian red tape.
So I’m going to have to announce some cancellations of the Canadian and European part of my trip. I can’t tell you how bad I feel about this. I will also have to cancel my attendance at the Boston and Urbana meet. As much as I would like to go, there are also myriad issues at the home office where I could help, and although my passion drags me out to show off the hardware, my sense of responsibility draws me back. I simply must balance my visits with you guys, with the pile of work awaiting me at home. I very much hope you still hold the meets and have a great time.
The good news is New York, DC, Cincinatti, and Pittsburgh are just around the corner, and the west coast trip is still on for August. I’ve had a great time so far, and am looking forward to the visits this year and on into the future.

AAARRRRGGGHHH!
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #132 of 153
That's too bad to hear Tyll, but that means us fortunate enough to get visited by te HeadRoom fairy will just have to take plently of pictures and post lenghty reviews. I'll be looking forward to getting my palms on all that gear when you visit the 'Burgh
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #133 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
Hm .. can't you do a "Headroom Lite" trip to Canada/Europe without the fancy shootout table and maybe a little less equipment?

I really wish I could. But it boils down to this: if I'm crossing the border for business I've got to jump through all the hoops. I could reduce the cost of the bond by leaving equipment on this side, but the more I do that the less valuable the trip. The less valuable the trip the more valuable I am at home. I've got to balance that correctly. There are lot's of thing I could try, but all of them elevate the risk of getting in serious trouble with customs (and remember these days those guys think they are all powerfull---and they are when it comes to crossing the border). I have a company of people relying on my good judgement, that's scary enough for them under normal circumstances, covert operations are pretty much out of the question.

I'm sorry guys. I will continue to work on this and I will try to get it squared away enough to visit your meets one of these days. But not this time.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #134 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I really wish I could. But it boils down to this: if I'm crossing the border for business I've got to jump through all the hoops. I could reduce the cost of the bond by leaving equipment on this side, but the more I do that the less valuable the trip. The less valuable the trip the more valuable I am at home. I've got to balance that correctly. There are lot's of thing I could try, but all of them elevate the risk of getting in serious trouble with customs (and remember these days those guys think they are all powerfull---and they are when it comes to crossing the border). I have a company of people relying on my good judgement, that's scary enough for them under normal circumstances, covert operations are pretty much out of the question.

I'm sorry guys. I will continue to work on this and I will try to get it squared away enough to visit your meets one of these days. But not this time.

It is certainly understandable. At least in Canada, customs agents have the most power of any "policing agency" second are park rangers (because of the fear of poaching). The rest of the agencies generally require warrants, red tape cutting etc, to do much of what customs can and will do if you give them a dirty look.

"Oh...was that a snide remark? Pull the car over sir."

"Bob, strip this poor screwer's car down to the nitty gritties, the works Bob, while your at it, I think they need a cavity search, bring the entire box of gloves."

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #135 of 153
Tyll,

I'm sure sorry it didn't work out for an Atlanta stop. I just discovered this site, otherwise, it would've been at my place.
280smile.gif

If for some wild reason you find the tour possibly heading back this way, my place is always available.

Cheers,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back