The HeadAmp GS-X has landed!
Apr 6, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #31 of 102
Hey Asr

Congratulations on your new amp. Didn't figure it would be that one....
k1000smile.gif

You know I'll be interested in your review, and comparison to the GS-1.
lambda.gif

Regards

USG

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #32 of 102
Nice amp buddy! Looking forward to hearing how it handles all your headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the modules in it still gilmore dynalo based or has Justin changed them now?

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #34 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, just checked headamp site, there's no real description of features of this model, just more pictures when you click the GS-X.

Can you briefly describe the features? from your photos, looks like it can take balanced and single ended headphones. also single ended and balanced source in...correct? Does it come in silver?

[of course I can email manufacturer, but I'm just in an amp researching phase now...]

Same here -- looked for info at the manufacturer's site but found only more pix. I, too, would like clarification on whether it can take both balanced and standard -- seems like it can.

ADDED: Does the $1795 include the separate power supply?

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #37 of 102
I love the straight forward no nonsense look of this amp. It's quite elegant as well, and I have no doubt she'll sound as pretty as she looks. Congratulations on a gorgeous amp. If you want a second opinion for your review PM me for my address.
icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #38 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1795 is the cost for the amp and power supply, after all, what good would the amp be without the PS?

Thanks. Assumed as much but just wanted to make sure since other SS amps come with wallwarts and charge extra for an enhanced PSU.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #39 of 102
[size=x-small]CONGRATS![/size]This gorgeous amp has been in my stable longer than any other. I've been lucky enough to compare the HD650, AKG-K701 and the W5000 in both the SE and the balanced configurations at the same time, switching back and forth instantly. This amp allows that. In each case the balanced set-up blows away the SE, by far. REPEAT: BY FAR.

Now, I have the vaunted K1000 incoming. My hope is that the GS-X will drive it too. The module will be forthcoming this summer. Justin told me last week, he has sold 21 GS-X amps.

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #41 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-small]CONGRATS![/size]This gorgeous amp has been in my stable longer than any other. I've been lucky enough to compare the HD650, AKG-K701 and the W5000 in both the SE and the balanced configurations at the same time, switching back and forth instantly. This amp allows that. In each case the balanced set-up blows away the SE, by far. REPEAT: BY FAR.

Now, I have the vaunted K1000 incoming. My hope is that the GS-X will drive it too. The module will be forthcoming this summer. Justin told me last week, he has sold 21 GS-X amps.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Folks, the praise you're reading in threads like these from us GS-X owners is not hyperbole or exaggeration whatsoever.

Heck, I'm still using SE right now (very slowly saving up for a potential all balanced upgrade someday) and I've been totally blown away since July, when I received my GS-X.

You get some of the best SE you're going to get anywhere and I can't speak from experience yet, but ken's comments about balanced are pretty much the shared consensus amongst the GS-X owners that have gone that route.

Price? It's generous for what this machine is, and this is coming from a relative Head-fi noob like me, who was skeptical about a lot of things when I first showed up 'round these parts.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #43 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any opinions as to how the GS-1 compares to the GS-X (single ended mode)? I just ordered a GS-1 -- did I make a big mistake?

I wouldn't worry if I were you. The GS-X doesn't make much sense to get if you're not planning on eventually using its balanced operation. The GS-1 is still a fine amp and an instant recommendation for those who want the amp to just get out of the way of the music and want a window into their source.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #44 of 102
how's single-ended mode? as good as a gs-1. what amp is it on par with.

i assume i will always have at least one pair of se phones and will need something good to drive them with. in the 6moons review of the rudistor nx-33, the reviewer was not terribly impressed with the amp's single-ended operation. it was hard to tell if this was when compared to using the amp balanced, which isn't really fair, or in general.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #45 of 102
I haven't had a chance to listen to the amp since it arrived.
redface.gif
The AE-2's a bigger priority (because it's cheaper and needs more attention), I'm working on a review for StereoMojo, working on three reviews for Head-Fi, and I'm prepping stuff for the 2007 International Meet which is coming fast!!! Meet attendees will probably get to hear this amp before I get to!
tongue.gif

Impressions and notes will be posted here after the Meet! If I win one of those balanced DACs I'll be able to comment on how it works balanced with the K340! Oh how I wish I win one of them!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back