The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Dec 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #301 of 6,326
Quote:
The jacks aren't the same size so with them all mounted on a PCB they won't line up.  No way around that except with some fiddly assembly which will always be troublesome. 

Nods.  Which is likely why other balanced amps, original GS-Xv2 concept included, go with 3 XLR, 1 TRS. Connector wise it costs less to use the 4, though another hole and label in the face would bring the cost back up.  Wouldn't hazard a guess as to PCB cost though.

The joke is my wife knows how OCD I am about spacing that she told me to cancel my order /facepalm

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #304 of 6,326
Quote:

Nods.  Which is likely why other balanced amps, original GS-Xv2 concept included, go with 3 XLR, 1 TRS. Connector wise it costs less to use the 4, though another hole and label in the face would bring the cost back up.  Wouldn't hazard a guess as to PCB cost though.

The joke is my wife knows how OCD I am about spacing that she told me to cancel my order /facepalm

Well true symmetry will not be achieved until people drop the 3-pin XLR once and for all.  Utterly pointless...

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #305 of 6,326
No argument there.  Well I guess it could be useful if you are trying to counterbalance the weight of some 'audiophile' power cord :p

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #306 of 6,326
Before I ordered the custom cable I now have for my HD600's, I asked Birgir for advice on which to go for between the 4 pin and dual 3 pin and I have the 4 pin on that cable. I feel Justin has put dual 3 pin sockets on for those that have already got them on their cables.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #307 of 6,326
IMO:

It's old technology and the amp makers should start making buyers adopt to the newer technology.  Plus it's a waste of space.  The amp will look much cleaner without it.  Oh well,  Maybe on the next amp we can move on..
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #309 of 6,326
the 4 pin isnt new. duel 3 pin has the right and the left channel separated so(supposed) it has less distortion.

i would have never ordered it or cancel my order if the new gsx has no 3 pin jack since all my balanced headphones has 3 pins plugs only

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #310 of 6,326
I'm just glad that Justin decided to add the 4-pin XLR to the GS-X.  The lack of the 4-pin was always one of the things that I didn't like about the old version.

I don't want to get too excited as there always seems to be some delay(s) here at the end of the development cycle but it sure feels like we are getting close to shipping time.  Could we all be listening to our shiny new headphone amps in the month of January?

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #311 of 6,326
I've got the Aristaeus on order along with the GS-X and I believe Justin's having them shipped together, because of that there's a chance there might be a delay on my order, however I'm not bothered because I know they'll be worth waiting for.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #312 of 6,326
Quote:
I've got the Aristaeus on order along with the GS-X and I believe Justin's having them shipped together, because of that there's a chance there might be a delay on my order, however I'm not bothered because I know they'll be worth waiting for.

How does the Aristaeus compare to the BHSE, LL and all the other eStat amps?

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #313 of 6,326
Quote:

How does the Aristaeus compare to the BHSE, LL and all the other eStat amps?

I've not heard the Aristaeus yet but I'll be using my 009's with it. Headfier Kiertijai has the Aristaeus along with the HE-90 + 009's and has written a few posts including post 88 on the Headamp Aristaeus thread. Call me insane but I'm not only getting the Aristaeus and GS-X to give me a change, I'm also wanting my audio equipment to look a certain way on my audio rack, and adding those two amps will IMO add to the aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back