The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Dec 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #271 of 6,326
Quote:
Ah, this makes things complicated for me! This user's impressions seem to be fantastic. But you told me the LCD3 scale higher in your opinion so now I'm tempted to hang on to them for a bit longer! 
tongue_smile.gif

As I said, so far the HE-6 is a favorite, but by no means is largely better. I guess I'll have to hear both my orthos through the amp before buying it and selling one of the phones 
redface.gif

To fill in a bit of context on my impressions I guess I'd say I'm not a fan of the Audeze "sound" in general. The meet was the first time I got to hear the LCD-2.2 and the -3 so all the appropriate caveats apply. But A/B'ing the -3 and the HE-6 out of the GSX, I soon found myself leaving the -6s on and forgetting all about the LCD-3...if you can get a chance to audition the two out of the GSX, I would highly recommend it. 

And congrats to all the lucky folk who are getting one soon! 

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #272 of 6,326
Quote:

To fill in a bit of context on my impressions I guess I'd say I'm not a fan of the Audeze "sound" in general. The meet was the first time I got to hear the LCD-2.2 and the -3 so all the appropriate caveats apply. But A/B'ing the -3 and the HE-6 out of the GSX, I soon found myself leaving the -6s on and forgetting all about the LCD-3...if you can get a chance to audition the two out of the GSX, I would highly recommend it. 

And congrats to all the lucky folk who are getting one soon! 

Same here. I was all about the 6 from the GSX. I was A/Bing the LCD 3 and the HE 6 so much so that I was afraid I was gonna break Justin's amp -- pulling stuff out and plugging in. I preferred the HE-6, and so much so that I got myself a pair. Just like WestLander I have to say though that I am not a really a great fan of Audeze. However, if I already had the LCD-3, I would grab the GSX in an eyeblink! The pairing was really good. The precise and tight GSX sound is perfect for the 3s, IMO. of course it depends on what sound sig you like, and type of music and what you look for in that music.  

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #274 of 6,326
Quote:
first of the new modules being shipped tomorrow

Yippeee...one of those boxes should be mine!

Aw man - a early X-Mas present for someone.  

Is this Peter's?  
biggrin.gif

Fingers crossed...but I did pay about 1 hour after receiving the email that they were up for sale. 
smile.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #275 of 6,326
I'm hoping beyond hope that the GS-X front plates get delivered to Justin before everything shuts down for the year.  I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel once all of the vendor work is done and all is left to Justin.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #276 of 6,326
Quote:
I'm hoping beyond hope that the GS-X front plates get delivered to Justin before everything shuts down for the year.  I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel once all of the vendor work is done and all is left to Justin.

i will get to check the holes in the first panel but thats it

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #277 of 6,326
Wow, I haven't opened this forum in a while so this is a nice surprise. I have an unfinished Dynahi somewhere in the closet but this new GS-X is quite tempting indeed because of the beautiful casework, it would make a nice comparison with my old and trusty β22. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #278 of 6,326
There's lots of talk in the Schiit Mjolnir thread about the Mjolnir being the only balanced amp and that dual differential amps like the GS-X being "fake balanced" because they use four amp modules to run dual mono.  I may not have an electrical engineering degree like, apparently, everyone else has but this doesn't make sense to me.  The GS-X keeps the signal balanced from input to output.  Does that not mean that a balanced signal coming in from a differential dac will leave the amp with exactly the same balanced signal just with gain?  Does this not mean that the common mode rejection benefit started at the differential dac with carry through the GS-X?  With all of that being true, why is the GS-X "fake balanced"?

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #279 of 6,326
Quote:
There's lots of talk in the Schiit Mjolnir thread about the Mjolnir being the only balanced amp and that dual differential amps like the GS-X being "fake balanced" because they use four amp modules to run dual mono.  I may not have an electrical engineering degree like, apparently, everyone else has but this doesn't make sense to me.  The GS-X keeps the signal balanced from input to output.  Does that not mean that a balanced signal coming in from a differential dac will leave the amp with exactly the same balanced signal just with gain?  Does this not mean that the common mode rejection benefit started at the differential dac with carry through the GS-X?  With all of that being true, why is the GS-X "fake balanced"?

+1...That thread has been very interesting.EE's and EE wanna-be's only need participate.

popcorn.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #280 of 6,326
The differences have already been discussed. And no one said anything about the GS-X being fake balanced. It's simple there are different ways to achieve balanced.....

Loves more of it. 
popcorn.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #281 of 6,326
Quote:
There's lots of talk in the Schiit Mjolnir thread about the Mjolnir being the only balanced amp and that dual differential amps like the GS-X being "fake balanced" because they use four amp modules to run dual mono.  I may not have an electrical engineering degree like, apparently, everyone else has but this doesn't make sense to me.  The GS-X keeps the signal balanced from input to output.  Does that not mean that a balanced signal coming in from a differential dac will leave the amp with exactly the same balanced signal just with gain?  Does this not mean that the common mode rejection benefit started at the differential dac will carry through the GS-X?  With all of that being true, why is the GS-X "fake balanced"?

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #282 of 6,326
Quote:
The differences have already been discussed. And no one said anything about the GS-X being fake balanced. It's simple there are different ways to achieve balanced.....

Loves more of it. 
popcorn.gif

Didn't you yourself say this in that thread, "I think the term "balanced" used in bridged configuration is wrong (even though they technically are balanced impedance wise) and just causes confusion."  Since the GS-X is bridged, are you not saying that it is fake balanced?

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #283 of 6,326
Quote:
Didn't you yourself say this in that thread, "I think the term "balanced" used in bridged configuration is wrong (even though they technically are balanced impedance wise) and just causes confusion."  Since the GS-X is bridged, are you not saying that it is fake balanced?

You're misunderstanding. An example would be: "If you take two amplifiers and simply bridge them together to make a "balanced" amp, the resulting input is not differential. Any common-mode noise will simply be amplified and passed on to the output".

I have never implied a bridged amp is fake. Neither did Solude. (Which I'm sure he'll input his own 2cents).

All of this really got started because of Mjolnir's topology which is based on Circlotron. A singe amplifer with a balanced input and balanced output.

For clarification sake, Chris pointed out that does not mean the topology of the Bryston is not a balanced one. It is.
It does the same but in a different way.

It is truly balanced input to output.

Oh and to further clarify Solude was only saying the Mojo is the only balanced amp that isn't bridged or a single ended amp who's output runs one leg
and an inverter to create the other leg. 

Hence why I said there are different ways to achieve balanced.

Sorry to derail, I won't say anything more. You are misunderstanding a few things. We can PM if you'd like. If not, ok. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #284 of 6,326
Quote:
You're misunderstanding. An example would be: "If you take two amplifiers and simply bridge them together to make a "balanced" amp, the resulting input is not differential. Any common-mode noise will simply be amplified and passed on to the output".

I have never implied a bridged amp is fake. Don't put Solude's words in my mouth. (Which I'm sure he'll input his own 2cents).

All of this really got started because of Mjolnir's topology which is based on Circlotron. A singe amplifer with a balanced input and balanced output.

For clarification sake, Chris pointed out that does not mean the topology of the Bryston is not a balanced one. It is.
It does the same but in a different way.

It is truly balanced input to output.

Oh and to further clarify Solude was only saying the Mojo is the only balanced amp that isn't bridged or a single ended amp who's output runs one leg
and an inverter to create the other leg. 

Hence why I said there are different ways to achieve balanced.

Sorry to derail, I won't say anything more. You are misunderstanding a few things. We can PM if you'd like. If not, ok. 

I'm not confused at all.  My point is that the other thread is full of posts splitting hairs on the definition of balanced for, IMHO, the purpose of somehow elevating one amp above all the others by declaring it the only truly balanced amp. No matter what a person with a real (or imagined) EE degree says, the GS-X is fully balanced input to output and will pass along CMR.

There is potential for mass confusion over there.  I wanted to make the point clear here.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #285 of 6,326
Quote:
I'm not confused at all.  My point is that the other thread is full of posts splitting hairs on the definition of balanced for, IMHO, the purpose of somehow elevating one amp above all the others by declaring it the only truly balanced amp. No matter what a person with a real (or imagined) EE degree says, the GS-X is fully balanced input to output and will pass along CMR.

There is potential for mass confusion over there.  I wanted to make the point clear here.

They may have been splitting hairs on topology. It was a discussion after all.

As for declaring one amp as the only truly balanced amp, you must be skimming over the fact they're both differential.
So again, I think you misunderstood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back