The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
May 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #6,061 of 6,329
I just got my own GSX Mk-2

Thats a GSX-MK2? The very first version? Looks different. Any more pics? Close up pics?

I am just curious why you went out and bought this? The gsx-mini most likely would of been the same price. With better internal parts etch...

May 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6,062 of 6,329
Thats a GSX-MK2? The very first version? Looks different. Any more pics? Close up pics?

I am just curious why you went out and bought this? The gsx-mini most likely would of been the same price. With better internal parts etch...

I will have to take some when I am done at work but as far as I can tell its the same as the rest. Perhaps its just the angle? if you lick the image it should get the original size image. Also the PSU is to the right of it as I followed Justin's manual and did not stack them.

As for my reasoning I had read a bunch of great things about the Mk2, I liked the fact that the amp came with a Low, Medium, and High setting which to me is much more versatile, and I planned on getting a balanced dac and balanced headphone cable so having that extra feature of all balanced sources just didn't seem necessary. Not only that what I paid for this ended up being cheaper than the gsx mini. As for better internal parts I dont know enough about the new GSX mini to contest that but I have a hard time believing it could be such a vast improvement after hearing the GSX mk2.

May 14, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #6,063 of 6,329
I will have to take some when I am done at work but as far as I can tell its the same as the rest. Perhaps its just the angle? if you lick the image it should get the original size image. Also the PSU is to the right of it as I followed Justin's manual and did not stack them.

As for my reasoning I had read a bunch of great things about the Mk2, I liked the fact that the amp came with a Low, Medium, and High setting which to me is much more versatile, and I planned on getting a balanced dac and balanced headphone cable so having that extra feature of all balanced sources just didn't seem necessary. Not only that what I paid for this ended up being cheaper than the gsx mini. As for better internal parts I dont know enough about the new GSX mini to contest that but I have a hard time believing it could be such a vast improvement after hearing the GSX mk2.

Okay cool. As long you paid lower than the cost of the mini. I think its a good deal?

May 14, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #6,064 of 6,329
May 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #6,065 of 6,329
I currently run GL Mk2 and it is sounding pretty sweet. Looking forward someday to either GSX Mini or GSX Mk2. Can GSX Mk2 take single-ended inputs also? If not looks like GSX Mini...

May 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #6,066 of 6,329
I currently run GL Mk2 and it is sounding pretty sweet. Looking forward someday to either GSX Mini or GSX Mk2. Can GSX Mk2 take single-ended inputs also? If not looks like GSX Mini...

I would consider the GS-1 if you are considering single ended. it's cheaper, plenty of power and sound maybe just as good.

May 14, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #6,067 of 6,329
The GS-X mk2 is compatible with all three of those voltage outputs. Effectively, it gives the device more of a possible range of volume settings, think of it as like having a gain switch on the Qutest. Using the 3V output it's less likely you'd have a use for the high gain setting on the GS-X, whereas using the 1V setting would give you more useful volume steps on low gain with a highly efficient headphone or IEM.

As to the question of XLR vs. RCA, neither input expects or requires a particular voltage, and the amp circuitry applies the same gain regardless of input source. Of course because the GS-X mk2 is a full-balanced design, when you use an RCA input, you are getting single-ended output, even from the XLR outputs. The forthcoming GS-X mini does not have that limitation, but does have a lower maximum power output and shared power supply for L/R channels.

Answer to previous question about SE vs balanced inputs. As usual there is always a trade-off of some sort. Probably can't go far wrong with either GSX Mk2 or GSX Mini.

May 14, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #6,071 of 6,329
Good luck finding one, though.

lol I snatch it up on sale in 20 min hahah I was ready to pull the trigger on the RHNP too.

20190514_230636.jpg

stats for those that are looking for GS-1

32ohms ~7W
50ohms ~4.5W
100ohms ~2.2w
300ohms ~750mW
600ohms ~375mW

May 14, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #6,072 of 6,329
lol I snatch it up on sale in 20 min hahah I was ready to pull the trigger on the RHNP too.

stats for those that are looking for GS-1

32ohms ~7W
50ohms ~4.5W
100ohms ~2.2w
300ohms ~750mW
600ohms ~375mW

Are u sure about those stats above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back