1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by macedonianhero, Oct 22, 2012.
First

Back
393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402
404 405 406 407
Next

Last
  1. commtrd
    Hmmm that Mini sounds like it may be just the ticket. Could still utilize the dac from the Hugo 2 being SE out and get full balanced out from the amp. SWEET!!!
    My have to hit Justin up to get one when available.

2. tunes
    I wonder what how much the balanced out from the HUGO via the amp improves the SQ? No other amp can claim this ability for the HUGO. On the other hand I have been told that the DAVE does have balanced out to feed the mini or any other fully balanced amp. My main frustration is not knowing how much better the Susvara would sound driven by the speaker tabs on a speaker amp versus balanced out on a dedicated headphone amp. There are several posts describing the best result using speaker amps with an adapter from Hifiman but not sure how this scales without trying.

3. Whitigir
    I think Dave is single ended, despite it having dual XLR in the back

4. Whazzzup
    TT does as well. TT was chords hidden gem. Fantastic sound and inexpensive in comparison at launch. Almost 50% less than TT2 today, thats huge savings. I love GSX MK2 but think bloom as opposed to SQ. If one is looking for SQ and its not cheap, its the music server. granted the good ones cost TT2 price so, pick your poison.

5. Whazzzup
    yes all chord docs are se, but on TT and dave one gets an added component, balanced out XLR. A whole debate on chord threads but i take the do what you want attitude, but lots get all uptight about amping.

6. Whitigir
    I mean, that XLR is usually used for balanced out from a true balanced design. DAVE has it, but it is inside connected SE without true balanced out architecture. The last time I came through the thread, I was told something like that, but I could be wrong

7. Whazzzup
    Well technically your right but Robb watts added a component to mAke it balanced out from xlr. Because of this added analogue component is the argument to use rca out instead that’s true se. the component adds supposed distortion but frankly inaudible imo. So tt and Dave can use the balanced out to go fully balanced into gsx mk2.

Whitigir likes this.
  8. Whitigir
    If that is the case, I would use RCA out into Mini GSX RCA in. The Mini GSX has fully differentiated Single-ended input to output true balanced out put

9. Whazzzup
    Yes you could, as you could into mk2 as well, except then one wouldn’t get full balanced topography.

10. tunes
    This is what Justin told me via email:

“- The GS-X mini will convert single-ended inputs to balanced. The GS-X mk2 does not.

- The Chord Dave and Hugo TT2 have balanced outputs, the Hugo 2 does not”

11. Whitigir
    Yeah, I know :) . Thanks for sharing the confirmation

12. tunes
    I am now reading more posts where the Susvara achieves its maximum potential when pairing it with a speaker amp using the Hifiman HE-Adapter
    Is this a balanced set up with a Burston speaker amp? I wonder if it would be a significant step up from then GSX-mini and just as transparent from the DAVE??

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  13. eddie0817
    Hi Justin and all,

Would like to ask about stacking the amplifier on the top on power supply, I just received my GS-X mk ll last week, my friend suggest me to separate them at least 25 cm
    to prevent the noise, but when I try to use HD820(mid gain), even with IEMs like VE8(low gain), it does't come out with any noise for stacking them.

May I know if any upgrade from previous version? as I saw from picture the modules looks different.
    For those user here did you separate them?

Thanks

14. elan120
    I have some space limitation, so mine have been stacked since I got them mid last year, so far, no issue at all.

eddie0817 likes this.
  15. whirlwind
    Mine are also stacked and I know it is not the best solution....but I have yet to hear any back round noise from this amp with any of my headphones and also with using any
    gain setting on the amp. I would rather not stack them, but I have no choice at the moment.

eddie0817 likes this.
First

Back
393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402
404 405 406 407
Next

Last