The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 9, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #5,896 of 6,326
What is the output voltage of the GS-X Mk2 at low (unity) gain? Is it the same as the output voltage of the source? Sorry for a naive question! And for that matter, output voltage at medium and high gain?

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #5,898 of 6,326
While I wait on my order to ship, anyone recommend which cans work well with this amp? Currently using the HD800-S. I did have the th900 but I returned it so I could buy this amp since I got tired of the Ragnarok backorders. This thread pretty much convinced me the amp is well worth the extra cost. I'll just sell the Sennheisers if I end up liking something better. I did like the TH900, but I felt like the bass was way too much sometimes, however that could be the fault of my amp being a Lyr 2 atm until the GSX arrives. Currently thinking of giving the Focal Clears a go.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #5,899 of 6,326
Tried LCD3, LCD4, Hifi Man HE1000 v2, Sony Z7, Sony Z1R, Beyerdynamic T1 v2

Sony Z1R is the best with this amp in my opinion

I listen to
FLAC/DSD Chillout, Downtempo, Synthpop, Contemporary/Chillout/Soft Jazz, Soft Rock, very little pop (Ayre Codex as source)

LCD3/4 is gorgeous with Schiit Yggy/Mjolnir2 (I get better sound for the music genres above) and for some reason closed back headphones really really shine with GSX-MK2

HE1000 shown mediocre results to me and I returned them as well as BD T1 (they are great, but not to my taste)

Dmitry

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #5,900 of 6,326
Tried LCD3, LCD4, Hifi Man HE1000 v2, Sony Z7, Sony Z1R, Beyerdynamic T1 v2

Sony Z1R is the best with this amp in my opinion

I listen to
FLAC/DSD Chillout, Downtempo, Synthpop, Contemporary/Chillout/Soft Jazz, Soft Rock, very little pop (Ayre Codex as source)

LCD3/4 is gorgeous with Schiit Yggy/Mjolnir2 (I get better sound for the music genres above) and for some reason closed back headphones really really shine with GSX-MK2

HE1000 shown mediocre results to me and I returned them as well as BD T1 (they are great, but not to my taste)

Dmitry

How's the isolation with the Z1R? I loved having a DT770 around for when a lot of noise was going on outside. I knew the isolation wasn't fantastic with the TH900 but I thought its isolation would be a little better than what it ended up being.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #5,901 of 6,326
While I wait on my order to ship, anyone recommend which cans work well with this amp? Currently using the HD800-S. I did have the th900 but I returned it so I could buy this amp since I got tired of the Ragnarok backorders. This thread pretty much convinced me the amp is well worth the extra cost. I'll just sell the Sennheisers if I end up liking something better. I did like the TH900, but I felt like the bass was way too much sometimes, however that could be the fault of my amp being a Lyr 2 atm until the GSX arrives. Currently thinking of giving the Focal Clears a go.

With my limited experience on that amp feed by a yggy I really liked the he100 and lcd3f. They were 2 totally different sounds which would pair nice with each other imo.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #5,902 of 6,326
How's the isolation with the Z1R? I loved having a DT770 around for when a lot of noise was going on outside. I knew the isolation wasn't fantastic with the TH900 but I thought its isolation would be a little better than what it ended up being.

It's great - I'm using them in the office environment, very very good. No noise. At home I have fish tank, which becomes noise when water level drops and you don't hear it, while it's heard noticeable in LCD3/4.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #5,903 of 6,326

Every dynamic/planar magnetic headphone works well with this amp. Let's put it this way: tons of pure class A power in an extremely linear, low distortion fully balanced amp, with a gain setting for every kind of headphone. The GS-X Mk2 is one of the best examples of an amp that is a "wire with gain" as in it has no colorations. It brings the most out of your headphone and reveals how it really sounds, for better or worse. But the amp is the last word in refinement so will never introduce any harshness or distortion.

So any answers to your question are subjective. The most objective answer is that the GS-X Mk2 is a phenomenal technical matchup for any headphone for the reasons stated above.

But some prefer certain colorations on certain headphones and this can't be predicted. I personally prefer the HD 800 and HD 800 S on very warm colored tube amps, but the GS-X Mk2 will technically outperform those amps in measurements.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #5,904 of 6,326
My latest addition of audioquest fire xlr interconnects has allowed both my TT and gsx mk2 really to shine on the low end. A nice fast yet throaty feel, for me on med gain.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #5,905 of 6,326
4486660A-4805-40C3-848F-53AA6C39DF63.jpeg

Hello everyone! Hope everyones doing well on here still! checking in :beyersmile: its been a few years and just recently got my setup running again after moving! Been so happy with this setup and these 2 amazing amps! The 300B SET wa5 and the wire with gain pre-amp gsx2! its a A+++ preamp and works great as I’ve been mostly listening to speakers and am only now looking for a new pair of headphones! idk if I’ll use them that much though tbh, this setup is meant for headphones but its just world class with the right speakers (using high eff. Omega speaker systems super 3s and soon 8s with matching sub) , the magical 300b tube sound of the wa5 and the gsx really brings out the bass oomph and the dynamics in my speaker setup, those liquid-like transients and effortless gain, really brings it all together!! glad i never sold this, i dont think i ever will! #summit-fi!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #5,906 of 6,326
Just got my GSX setup. I didn't think an amp by itself would make such a huge difference lol. Granted its not just an amp upgrade. Coming from the Lyr 2, the GSX let me finally use the Yggdrasil's balanced output for my headphones as well as throwing on the HD800-S's balanced cable. Within the first 5 minutes I was glad I canceled my Ragnarok order. While I'm sure it's a great amp, mines been on backorder since May and I just didn't want to wait anymore. I have the GSX power supply on top of the Yggdrasil with some risers on top of the power supply to give some extra ventilation between the power supply and amp due to limited desk space. I think I should be fine on the ventilation fine. Dont hear any noise.

Only thing I worry about is that my listening room can be dusty, are there any meshes worth using to cover the ventilation for protection? Or is blasting the insides with an electronic duster safe?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #5,907 of 6,326
Just got my GSX setup. I didn't think an amp by itself would make such a huge difference lol. Granted its not just an amp upgrade. Coming from the Lyr 2, the GSX let me finally use the Yggdrasil's balanced output for my headphones as well as throwing on the HD800-S's balanced cable. Within the first 5 minutes I was glad I canceled my Ragnarok order. While I'm sure it's a great amp, mines been on backorder since May and I just didn't want to wait anymore. I have the GSX power supply on top of the Yggdrasil with some risers on top of the power supply to give some extra ventilation between the power supply and amp due to limited desk space. I think I should be fine on the ventilation fine. Dont hear any noise.

Only thing I worry about is that my listening room can be dusty, are there any meshes worth using to cover the ventilation for protection? Or is blasting the insides with an electronic duster safe?

Congrats on your new amp. I run a big Class A Power amp for my speakers sat on the floor. It gets dust in through the top plate. I basically take off the plate once a year, and blow it out (by blowing, watch your eyes!). Then use a small very soft brush slightly damp and literally clean the PCB and parts. Key is don't use any chemicals, and once done, leave it for a while to ensure any dampness has dried out. Can use a hairdryer to speed it up. Comes up like new. I don't think dust will short anything, but obviously it can reduce cooling.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #5,908 of 6,326

Hello everyone! Hope everyones doing well on here still! checking in :beyersmile: its been a few years and just recently got my setup running again after moving! Been so happy with this setup and these 2 amazing amps! The 300B SET wa5 and the wire with gain pre-amp gsx2! its a A+++ preamp and works great as I’ve been mostly listening to speakers and am only now looking for a new pair of headphones! idk if I’ll use them that much though tbh, this setup is meant for headphones but its just world class with the right speakers (using high eff. Omega speaker systems super 3s and soon 8s with matching sub) , the magical 300b tube sound of the wa5 and the gsx really brings out the bass oomph and the dynamics in my speaker setup, those liquid-like transients and effortless gain, really brings it all together!! glad i never sold this, i dont think i ever will! #summit-fi!

Does the WA5 have enough juice for the HE6?

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #5,909 of 6,326
Does the WA5 have enough juice for the HE6?

I was going to ask the same, I doubt it, but.... The GSX will.

On tonality, which amp do you refer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back