The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 31, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #5,686 of 6,329
interesting, i know you just amped but when you do let us know, optilogic mk2 is 7 G, could be worse

Sure I‘ll update you! Indeed, the optologic La Scala is expensive, too expensive actually. I‘ve got a quote to trade in my La Voce. That brings it down to a more manageable, but still hefty sum of money.
There‘s still La Voce S2. In price, it‘s similar to the Holo. There will soon be an S3 version of La Voce available, where the old Burr Brown 1704 chip is replaced by an FOGA-Controller R2R board developed by Aqua HiFi. I have no Info as to pricing. The new board is discussed at Darko.Audio

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #5,687 of 6,329
The common theme on this thread is that the full capabilities of the GSX are wasted if one does not use a DAC capable of balanced output.
How many DAC's are out there which can output balanced?
Are Chord DAC's (Qutest, Hugo2 etc.) ruled out for use with the GSX due to their lack of balanced output?
What is the most popular DAC for use with the GSX - Holo Spring? Just curious as to which top 2 or 3 balanced DAC's most are using with this amp?

Thanks to everyone who answered my initial post.
One last one
Is the GSX "wasted" if used with a DAC which does not have balanced output capabilities (for argument sake a new Chord Qutest)?

Owning a Moon 430 slotted into my two channel system (Linn Klimax DS source so extremely uber quality) I tend to agree with TonyNewman's previous comments when I asked him to compare the GSX vs. Moon - slow, veiled, uninvolving.

I have had the itch to change amps - however I am not ready to start playing around with finding balanced DAC's - and not wiling to make extremely large financial investments in such as my funds are dedicated to my two channel system and the headphone system is simply a hobby

So I guess the question is - am simply spinning in a circle if changing out the Moon 430 for a GSX - but only using a non balanced DAC - Qutest or the like - with it?

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #5,688 of 6,329
Rca to xlr cable?

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #5,689 of 6,329
One last one
Is the GSX "wasted" if used with a DAC which does not have balanced output capabilities (for argument sake a new Chord Qutest)?

Owning a Moon 430 slotted into my two channel system (Linn Klimax DS source so extremely uber quality) I tend to agree with TonyNewman's previous comments when I asked him to compare the GSX vs. Moon - slow, veiled, uninvolving.

I have had the itch to change amps - however I am not ready to start playing around with finding balanced DAC's - and not wiling to make extremely large financial investments in such as my funds are dedicated to my two channel system and the headphone system is simply a hobby

So I guess the question is - am simply spinning in a circle if changing out the Moon 430 for a GSX - but only using a non balanced DAC - Qutest or the like - with it?

Tough decision! I can only speak for my system: it does sound better in balanced mode: more detail, better bass, better instrument separation, better everything. BUT, it could simply be that my power amp just sounds better in balanced mode.

But, the GSX is a very fine amp, that sounds good also in single ended operation. If your main system is two channel speaker, I would not worry too much about having ‚only‘ a single ended DAC. You‘ll enjoy the GSX just as much!

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #5,690 of 6,329
One last one

I don't think so.......I just think that most DACs that don't have a balanced output are just poorer quality. That said, even with balanced outputs my GSX Mk2 doesn't seem to enjoy a good synergy with my Yggy.........I mean it does sound great but not as *magical* as my Holo Audio Level 3 Spring did. Not even as magical/musical as my Cayin iDAC 6.

Apr 1, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #5,691 of 6,329
So - is the Holo Spring one of the most popular DAC's currently being used with the GSX?

Apr 1, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #5,692 of 6,329
So - is the Holo Spring one of the most popular DAC's currently being used with the GSX?

The Holo Spring KTE edition, to be specific. Running in NOS mode and fed via the I2S input. I am using the Metrum Pavane and it pairs extremely well with the GS-X Mk2. Both of these DACs are using NOS mode - I don't think that is an accident. A more relaxed sound without hard leading edges. It is this 'edginess' that turned me off the Yggy much more than its somewhat bright character - sold mine and got the Pavane.

The extreme transparency of the GS-X Mk2 is going to highlight whatever your DAC is doing to the music. To my ears, that makes a forward or edgy sound fatiguing - so I went to an NOS DAC and have been happy ever since.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #5,693 of 6,329
Ok - well - relaxed is not good. My main listening is 2 channel Naim so it has to be toe tapping PRAT. That is actually the problem I have with the MOON 430 fronting my Linn sources - a bit sleepy of an amplifier

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #5,694 of 6,329
You're confusing relaxed with lack of detail and dynamics. The Kitsune L3 + GS-X mkII is one of the most detailed, transparent yet musical setups I've heard.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #5,695 of 6,329
You're confusing relaxed with lack of detail and dynamics. The Kitsune L3 + GS-X mkII is one of the most detailed, transparent yet musical setups I've heard.

+1.

My Pavane + GS-X rig is about as far away from the 430HA as you can get (I used to own the 430HA and am familiar with it).

Relaxed - to my mind at least - is about the absence of the those hard leading edges to the sound - the curse of many delta-sigma DACs and some other types (R2R/FGPA ... etc) as well. It's not about lacking punch or dynamics - it's about delivering that in a more natural sounding way. That's what good R2R NOS DACs do, and why I am such an advocate for them. The most natural sounding DACs I have ever heard. I think you would need to go vinyl to get a more analog type of sound.

My point is that a DAC that has hard leading edges might be problematic paired with an amp as transparent as the GS-X Mk2. YMMV.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,697 of 6,329
Anyone experimenting with after market umbilical cords? The stock one looks solid, but I always wondered if getting an after market one would yield additional benefits.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #5,698 of 6,329
One last one

I have both the GS-X Mk2 and the Moon 430. And I use both analog (currently Avid SP/SME V/Lyra Titan) and digital (currently ModWright Oppo 205/Tungsram ECC88; SACD ) sources.

There is no doubt that the the GS-X Mk2 is more revealing and more dynamic than the Moon 430. And with HP like the Utopia, the combination with GS-X Mk2 is magical. But that is a sword with two edges: the GS-X Mk2 will reveal all the qualities of the source and HPs, but all their problems as well. So, if you have a large variety of HPs and sources or plan on changing them frequently, having a less sensitive amp like the Moon 430 is not such a bad thing. You get to enjoy nearly all the combinations. The GS-X Mk2 will be more revealing but also less forgiving.

With your excellent Linn system, you would be surprised by the results with the Moon 430 when you try lively HPs like the HD800S or the Grado PS2000--silver cables will help as well.

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #5,699 of 6,329
+1.

My Pavane + GS-X rig is about as far away from the 430HA as you can get (I used to own the 430HA and am familiar with it).

Relaxed - to my mind at least - is about the absence of the those hard leading edges to the sound - the curse of many delta-sigma DACs and some other types (R2R/FGPA ... etc) as well. It's not about lacking punch or dynamics - it's about delivering that in a more natural sounding way. That's what good R2R NOS DACs do, and why I am such an advocate for them. The most natural sounding DACs I have ever heard. I think you would need to go vinyl to get a more analog type of sound.

My point is that a DAC that has hard leading edges might be problematic paired with an amp as transparent as the GS-X Mk2. YMMV.

And yet, Tyll Hertsens swears on the 430HA: 'The 430HA just reeks of competence. It's going up on the Wall of Fame as an outstanding all-around, neutral-reference amplifier...and as my current professional headphone reviewer's reference here at InnerFidelity' https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/neutral-reference-headphone-amp-simaudio-moon-neo-430ha

I know, you don't agree with Tyll's reviews, it just tells me: different ears, different perception :))

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #5,700 of 6,329
I have both the GS-X Mk2 and the Moon 430. And I use both analog (currently Avid SP/SME V/Lyra Titan) and digital (currently ModWright Oppo 205/Tungsram ECC88; SACD ) sources.

There is no doubt that the the GS-X Mk2 is more revealing and more dynamic than the Moon 430. And with HP like the Utopia, the combination with GS-X Mk2 is magical. But that is a sword with two edges: the GS-X Mk2 will reveal all the qualities of the source and HPs, but all their problems as well. So, if you have a large variety of HPs and sources or plan on changing them frequently, having a less sensitive amp like the Moon 430 is not such a bad thing. You get to enjoy nearly all the combinations. The GS-X Mk2 will be more revealing but also less forgiving.

With your excellent Linn system, you would be surprised by the results with the Moon 430 when you try lively HPs like the HD800S or the Grado PS2000--silver cables will help as well.

Sword with two edges: very true as well in two-channel systems: I have the very lean-sounding ATC SCM11 speakers. When listening to a bad recording lacking bass, with too edgy treble, the album becomes almost unlistenable, although my DAC is said to be somewhat forgiving. With the GSX-Mk2 as a pre-amp, I do pay attention to getting the best possible recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

• purk
Back