The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,106 of 6,329
  I'm one of those that aren't keen on the HD800/GS-X mk2 combo as well. You aren't alone Ricky!

Can you elaborate? 

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #3,107 of 6,329
  I'm one of those that aren't keen on the HD800/GS-X mk2 combo as well. You aren't alone Ricky!

The HD800/GS-X mk2 combo is the best HD800 combo I have heard.  Meaning it was good enough not to sell immediately.  Unfortunately it still didn't make the HD800 something that kept me from wanting to look for better.    And yes currently that means 846/GS-X mk2 :p

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3,108 of 6,329
My main problem is that the HD800's tend to sound a bit sterile and super flat.  The soundstage IS great, the texture of what little bass is there is pretty good as well.  It's just not exciting or flattering to listen to and I can still spot the brightness.  I don't listen at crazy volumes though and maybe this type of setup is better suited for that??  I tend to really like OTL amps with the HD800, even an old relic like the mpx3 was a better pairing to these ears.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3,109 of 6,329
HD800 is non-linear in impedance vs frequency. So when you pair it with an OTL amp that has a high impedance output, you get substantial changes in frequency response. The biggest roll-off in frequencies present in audio recordings will be in the 500hz-15khz range. you could get a similar effect with an amp like the GS-X mk2 or any solid state amp by adding a resistor in series with the output, in effect un-amping it

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jun 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #3,110 of 6,329
  HD800 is non-linear in impedance vs frequency. So when you pair it with an OTL amp that has a high impedance output, you get substantial changes in frequency response. The biggest roll-off in frequencies present in audio recordings will be in the 500hz-15khz range. you could get a similar effect with an amp like the GS-X mk2 or any solid state amp by adding a resistor in series with the output, in effect un-amping it

Thanks Justin.  So at the expense of sounding like an idiot what my sound preference seems to be is to throw distortion in front of the HD800 versus others who are preferring the flatter FR from the GS-X?  So then my ears really are broken :)

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,112 of 6,329

Lacks body for me, even paired with a warm DAC. Even a modded HD800, sound is too analytical and bland. Similar to Sneis' comments. 

Did you also think the same for HD800/DNA Stratus considering you sold that also? I remember you saying that you like the combo but you must not of been completely happy with it, what did it lack for you? 

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,113 of 6,329
^ This would seem to be about the right time and place to insert this:

Here is a link to my method of equalizing the signal between the DAC and amplifier.  I've used this for a couple years now, and the improved sound quality is simply amazing.  My EQ is easily the most important component in my system.  I simply don't have issues with lack of bass response, high frequency brightness, etc. using HD 800s  Of course equalization can't produce frequencies that aren't there, but it does a better job of 'managing' the ones that are there.  Hope you all find this helpful.

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,114 of 6,329
  Did you also think the same for HD800/DNA Stratus considering you sold that also? I remember you saying that you like the combo but you must not of been completely happy with it, what did it lack for you? 

The Stratus, 2A3, and S7 as a more budget friendly option are my top three in terms of best I've heard the HD800 per my preferences. Sold the Stratus simply for funding for something greater, and because I wasn't happy with the pairing with the HE-6 or LCD-3. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,115 of 6,329
  So at the expense of sounding like an idiot what my sound preference seems to be is to throw distortion in front of the HD800 versus others who are preferring the flatter FR from the GS-X?

For me the GS-X mk2 brought the most bass out of the HD800 by virtue of drive and control while the others just didn't seem able to get the HD800 moving.  On the other side high output impedance boosts the bass of the HD800 which you can do to a point before it becomes problematic.  Or just open up your media player, change the EQ to your liking and call it a day.  I really like the options JRiver has for that sort of thing.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #3,116 of 6,329
HD800, GSXmk2 for myself is the best I've ever heard, and I don't yet own the HD800. It also really depends on what your listening too, I personally would use the HD800 exclusively for Classical, Jazz, and Acoustic

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #3,117 of 6,329
  HD800, GSXmk2 for myself is the best I've ever heard, and I don't yet own the HD800. It also really depends on what your listening too, I personally would use the HD800 exclusively for Classical, Jazz, and Acoustic

Same thing with my experiences...many amps have come and gone (and many more auditioned), but the GS-X Mk2 is the pinnacle of HD800 amps.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,120 of 6,329

That will fit the bill perfectly
biggrin.gif

Same thing with my experiences...many amps have come and gone (and many more auditioned), but the GS-X Mk2 is the pinnacle of HD800 amps.

Very much looking forward to the 2014 batch.
Where can I get some more of this stuff ... what's it called ... patience ?!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back