The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,076 of 6,325
The day I herd this amp way back at a NY meet,
I knew in my gut that this was the absolute best amp I ever herd(!)
.. and that was under the worst conditions with source I did not recognize,
BUT, I herd it thru my own headphones..

At the time I had a w3000anv and I have to admit it transformed it from great into just astonishing performance.

I then proceeded to try this amp with the LCD X and same result, it made it top notch.
I think this with a Nad51 dac would be "end game"
tongue.gif

One day I will get this amp..
smily_headphones1.gif

I first heard it at last year's Denver meet.  I knew both ASR and Justin would bring it.

I wasn't terribly impressed using my LCD-3 with Justin's OPPO as the source.  I preferred my QB-9 (MB Pro) and Pico Power.  Near the end of the day I asked if I could bring my QB-9 - MB Pro - cables over and use them with Justin's GS-X MK2.  I ordered the amp the next week.  Justin also took a listen - his first comment was that he couldn't believe folks could say the LCD-3 wasn't detailed enough.  Justin bought a QB-9 DSD - I think he had it in about 3 months.  Almost 12 months for me and counting.  No worries here though - I'm fine just to be in the queue for the GS-X MK2.  Guessing Christmas comes during the summer this year.

Similar experience with ASR's Plinius CDP -> GS-X MK2.  I preferred my QB-9 (MB Pro) and Pico Power.  So did ASR.

IMO source matters....

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #3,079 of 6,325
Crazy to see the meticulous attention to detail and work in progress that Justin shares with us.....truly an eye opener for us head fi guys.  Keep up the great work Justin and thanks for sharing some work in progress as well!

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #3,080 of 6,325
I'm still hanging onto the hope that everything will go smoothly - Mine still has to ship via a distributer who hasn't been really responding via emails lately..... The wait wouldn't be as worrying if I was ordering direct through Justin I think...

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #3,081 of 6,325

I first heard it at last year's Denver meet.  I knew both ASR and Justin would bring it.

I wasn't terribly impressed using my LCD-3 with Justin's OPPO as the source.  I preferred my QB-9 (MB Pro) and Pico Power.  Near the end of the day I asked if I could bring my QB-9 - MB Pro - cables over and use them with Justin's GS-X MK2.  I ordered the amp the next week.  Justin also took a listen - his first comment was that he couldn't believe folks could say the LCD-3 wasn't detailed enough.  Justin bought a QB-9 DSD - I think he had it in about 3 months.  Almost 12 months for me and counting.  No worries here though - I'm fine just to be in the queue for the GS-X MK2.  Guessing Christmas comes during the summer this year.

Similar experience with ASR's Plinius CDP -> GS-X MK2.  I preferred my QB-9 (MB Pro) and Pico Power.  So did ASR.

IMO source matters....

I am working on getting a 230 volt version of the QB-9 DSD. They are not widely distributed.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #3,082 of 6,325
  I'm still hanging onto the hope that everything will go smoothly - Mine still has to ship via a distributer who hasn't been really responding via emails lately..... The wait wouldn't be as worrying if I was ordering direct through Justin I think...

I couldn't agree more, I too had very poor dealings with A2A in many ways then one ....... Justin, please let us buy direct or use a different distributor here in Oz

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,085 of 6,325
  That's 63 packs of modules, if I'm not mistaken. That's quite a large batch.
Are there any left overs for folks who are in the 2014 batch
wink.gif
???

gotta have some extra modules. my limitation right now is the number of powdercoated enclosures, there are a few extra front panels, and then the limitation is new front panels. The next batch of enclosures is being powdercoated right now.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jun 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3,087 of 6,325
MattTCG was at my place today and he was seriously impressed by my GSX-X MKII & HD800 combo.  Hope he can post some impression later on.

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #3,088 of 6,325
Thank you kindly to Purk for taking an afternoon to share his time and gear with me yesterday. It was truly a magic experience for me in many ways. You are a gracious host sir and it was kind of you to have me over. 

Okay...meets are a great way to get to sample new hp's and gear and I always like to recommend to those starting out and curious about the hobby to venture out to a local meet. The problem with meets of course is that the environment is almost always very noisy to truly hear and evaluate how something sounds. Now, imagine that you are at a meet with all those wonderful hp's and gear except you are the only person at the event. You walk around from table to table and at your leisure with your own music evaluate each and every setup on your terms. Going back and forth as many times as you like. AND...add to the equation that someone who is truly experienced with all the gears is right there to answer any questions that you might have. 

I had just this experience yesterday. 

Let me focus on the hd800 and gs-mkii combo. I've heard the hd800 many times before...usually at meet situations and on lot's of amps and dacs. I've heard it sound pretty good on certain rigs but not quite satisfying enough for me personally to invest in it. It was never able to give me a deep, rich, visceral experience that engaged me to the music. The gs-x mkii solved every problem that I've ever had with the hd800...that simple. 

Most people agree that the hd800 has some of the best imaging and soundstage in the game. But the disagreements usually tend to crop up over the treble and bass. I've heard "too bright" and "bass light" more times than I can count about the hd800. When using the gs-x mkii, the 800 has some of the most beautiful treble and best bass I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Please be aware that this is coming from someone who is "treble sensitive" and I have zero problems with the presentation of treble on the 800. In fact, it was one of the most enjoying aspects of the hp. 

The gs-x mkii comes housed in an impressive chasis. It is elegant looking, refined and certainly totl by my standards...any standard honestly.  The amp functioned and operated perfectly under all conditions. As a long time tube guy, it was nice to be able to flip on this amp, with no warm up or fuss, and just enjoy it.

Justin, my hat is off to you and color me impressed. This is quite possibly the finest SS amp that I've had the pleasure to witness. Mostly importantly, the amp was able to create some real magic with the hd800. It was engaging and musical. The hair on my arms stood up (several times) and I was humbled as I sat and listened to my favorite tracks  rendered with both finese and power. Many thanks for this wonderful amp. Now, time to start saving my pennies. 
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,089 of 6,325
Great writeup there, MattTCG.  I've had the same concerns as you described with the HD800/Leben CS300SX so it's reassuring that my incoming GS-X MK2 could solve them.  I'm jealous of your private auditioning experience!

purk/MattTCG, can you comment on the MDR-R10/GS-X MK2 combo?

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3,090 of 6,325
Using the gsx, the only headphones I have concern with using are the he-6 and abyss. It's not that I don't think gsx won't work them or work well. But only these two headphones I have heard anything that be considered negative about or haven't heard enough evidence about with the class of headphones I would use with gsx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back