The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,251 of 6,329
  Especially if you listen to a wide variety of music - is it ever possible to have an amp that suites all styles and powers all headphones effortlessly? 

Yes and spoiler alert... you're in the right thread :wink:

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2,252 of 6,329
  Ok, I'm down to 2 DACs from reading a bunch of reviews.
PWD or Lynx Hilo

But PWD is $3999!

Do I need to buy PWD used?

A lot of Audiogon sellers have new or like new ones for around 2.5k. I've seen used ones going for 1750-1850$ lately. I like to buy used with warranty (which is easily transferrable) and do something better with the difference but that's me.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,253 of 6,329

Yes and spoiler alert... you're in the right thread :wink:

you mean yes it is possible? And i suppose you mean the GSX can power the HE-6 to its full potential? Really? I think maybe the GSX is one of the few amps that can come close but every headphone powered to its potential? I don't think so, but then again I haven't heard it so who am I to say?  

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,254 of 6,329

A lot of Audiogon sellers have new or like new ones for around 2.5k. I've seen used ones going for 1750-1850$ lately. I like to buy used with warranty (which is easily transferrable) and do something better with the difference but that's me.

Would you be kind to give me a link?
I couldn't find a single one for sale

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,255 of 6,329
can't power the HE-6 to its full potential but its pretty close and if you don't listen loud, it probably would be ok. also, if you don't wanna go speaker amp, the gsx mk2 is ok for the he-6.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,256 of 6,329
  can't power the HE-6 to its full potential but its pretty close and if you don't listen loud, it probably would be ok. also, if you don't wanna go speaker amp, the gsx mk2 is ok for the he-6.

Cool - i will get to hear this year, i plan on bringing my T1 and HD800 with me. So i look forward to that. You selling your LCD3? Have you decided? 

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,257 of 6,329
Jan 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #2,258 of 6,329
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,259 of 6,329
PWD MK II (MK I upgraded preferred)
NAD M51
Lynx Hilo
Weiss 202 (Used)
AGD M7 (haven't heard but have heard it is very good, especially with a good usb converter)
Buffalo III (especially if you have solder skills)

I see that at least two of you guys are preferring MK1 upgraded to MK2.
Is there a significant sonical difference?

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,261 of 6,329

I see that at least two of you guys are preferring MK1 upgraded to MK2.
Is there a significant sonical difference?

There are various people who feel they do infact sound different. I've never heard them side by side, but I'm inclined to say yes there is a difference. Much like the difference between FWs. Significant is not a word I would use to describe the difference though. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,262 of 6,329
I just read in another thread of someone who has spent $3000 rolling tubes into a Lyr. I never went quite that far with the Earmax Pro but I spent a small fortune. And it is a big reason why I am in here patiently waiting for my GS-X mk2. I want to spend my money on fine gear, not making middlemen and hoarders rich. :)

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,264 of 6,329
I have a DAC2 HGC and a GS-X mk2.

IMO, the DAC2 is a very accurate and uncolored DAC; it gives you what you put into it. So, if a recording is well mastered and sounds good, the output sounds the same.  If a recording is very hot and maxed out because of the loudness wars, then the DAC2 is not going to sweeten the sound at all...you'll hear this recording in all its "glory", for good or mostly bad.  Remember, Benchmark sells a lot of their products to the recording industry and if you're mixing a song, you don't want any coloration unless you put it there deliberately, which is why the DAC1 and DAC2 are so popular in studios.

The GS-X mk2 may add a little warmness to the DAC2's sound, but it isn't much.  So ultimately, your choice of cans probably would determine if the combo would work for you.

As for me, I sometimes find my set up a little too "truthful/analytical" when I use my HD-800s, so I just picked up a used QB-9 (24/192, not the upgraded DSD model) to see if sounds more musical with the HD-800s.  Ayre products are supposed to be a little "warmer" so it might match better with the HD-800s.

The other thing to consider with the Benchmark and Headamp combo, is the GS-X mk2 has 3 analog inputs and is a very nice preamp.  The HGC is a full blown preamp and DAC with 2 analog inputs, USB and 4 digital inputs (and remote) So unless you need all of the inputs that are available on the Benchmark, you are spending money for options you won't use...that's what I'm finding now that I added the Headamp.  The D version omits the analog inputs but still has USB and 4 additional digital inputs, so unless you really need all of this, you may want to head over to Gary's mid-level DAC shootout and find another DAC that sounds the same (he largely found that all but 2-3 of these DACs sounded the same to him including the DAC2 HGC, but YMMV).   Here's the summary of his results: http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison/1170#post_10141530

If you already have the GS-X mk2, you could always test drive the Benchmark in your own rig (they have a generous 30 day return policy) and let your ears decide.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,265 of 6,329
hi folks,
I have to admit you definately are a contagious bunch
wink.gif
beerchug.gif

After contemplating that my 20 year old Stax Lambda Pro  [SRD7-MkII & ED-1, ASR Emitter 1] might not be up to par anymore with my e20 DAC, I was "searching headphones" on the web and somehow got stuck on head-fi.

I do like the resolution and honesty of the Stax and consequently I am looking at HD800 and a suitable amp to drive it properly.
The apperant reason that my first post is showing up here is very simple. After working my way through all of the 150+ pages of this thread, I tonight pulled the trigger and ordered a HD800 from Justin and put the deposit down for a GS-X MkII DACT. Of course, I hope to be able to jump into the current batch
biggrin.gif
, wish me luck.
Maybe I'm in
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back