The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,636 of 6,346
One last go at the W4S new line up:

DAC-2 $1500, same old same old
DAC-2 DSD $1600, new usb module, dsd enabled sabre
DAC-2 DSDse $2500, new usb module, dsd enabled sabre, boutique parts

Keeping in mind that the base models already had top shelf parts, the parts upgrade is truly boutique and not swapping out crap for good.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,637 of 6,346
Quote:

Keeping in mind that the base models already had top shelf parts, the parts upgrade is truly boutique and not swapping out crap for good.

Seems to be an iffy 'upgrade' path. For the SE, that is. Boutique parts contributing to how much of a better sound, IF any...

New USB modules and galvanic isolation a nice plus.  DSD- whatever, not so much.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,638 of 6,346
Quote:

Exactly why I'm sticking with my DAC-2 as I really don't plan on DSD being in my future. I'd go back to vinyl first.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,639 of 6,346
Quote:
Exactly why I'm sticking with my DAC-2 as I really don't plan on DSD being in my future. I'd go back to vinyl first.

Absolutely, DSD isn't worth the hype, not enough content to warrant the extra cost, and most of the DSD content that's available is mixed using PCM anyways

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,640 of 6,346
I am not concerned atm about DSD either. The DAC-2 USB upgrade was the big thing. I waffled about which upgrade and finally caved for full boat. It is very good so far.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,641 of 6,346
Quote:
I am not concerned atm about DSD either. The DAC-2 USB upgrade was the big thing. I waffled about which upgrade and finally caved for full boat. It is very good so far.

Yeah I think it's nice to know it's capable of playing DSD, but I also would not say it's a must have ability which would determine which dac you buy

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,642 of 6,346
Hi guys, after looking and filtering through the thread (which derailed like crazy most of the time) the 2nd time over the last few days, I noticed the focus on the sound produced by the amp was actually quite limited. Looking to pair GS-X with HD800, I can gathered it is supposed to be a very fine/ great amp with fantastic transparency and dynamics and some will describe it as the amp not being there/ get out of way. I am thinking how about the other factors that affect the music that we are hearing like tonality, realism, soundstage, body of the voice, separation? To certain extend, it seems to me that the best thing about GS-X is that it does nothing, which I find it hard to understand why it is so good an amp, other than being highly transparent in that case. I guess this is still the best place to seek for a more comprehensive review/views as google an review on GS-X doesn't yield much.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,644 of 6,346
The people that are truly happiest with their gear tend to not really need to talk about it much other than 'it's what I like'. Those who are caught up in the headphone arms race are those who need to justify their reasoning for purchasing something and end up waxing lyrical about every nuance and detail. For me, the GS-X is just the one, no further discussion needed.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #1,645 of 6,346
Quote:
The people that are truly happiest with their gear tend to not really need to talk about it much other than 'it's what I like'. Those who are caught up in the headphone arms race are those who need to justify their reasoning for purchasing something and end up waxing lyrical about every nuance and detail. For me, the GS-X is just the one, no further discussion needed.

You even have your's yet??

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,646 of 6,346
Quote:

Have you heard the DNA Stratrus before? I just wonder how it compares with GS-X, I don't think I read anyone who hear both amps before and compare them with HD800. Those from the DNA Stratus thread described them as such a magical pairing, which makes me wonder how much magical it is over/ below HD800 with GS-X.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,647 of 6,346
Quote:

I actually like when people share impressions of other gear, it gives you a better understanding of what you have and what you want. As good is the GSX is I still want to hear a different point of view

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,648 of 6,346
You even have your's yet??

-Daniel

No but I've heard the components together and it was just what I wanted.

from Austin 2013 impressions:

Maxvla said:
 X-Sabre - GS-X mk2 - HD800
Notes: Best in show, no doubt, IMO. Smoother still than the Glass, but somehow still detailed like the BHA-1. How is this possible...

Comments: My future setup. Loved it.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,649 of 6,346
Have you heard the DNA Stratrus before? I just wonder how it compares with GS-X, I don't think I read anyone who hear both amps before and compare them with HD800. Those from the DNA Stratus thread described them as such a magical pairing, which makes me wonder how much magical it is over/ below HD800 with GS-X.

I haven't heard any DNA amp, sorry.

I actually like when people share impressions of other gear, it gives you a better understanding of what you have and what you want. As good is the GSX is I still want to hear a different point of view

I understand, but it does get to a point where it's exactly what you want and it becomes hard to even describe anymore. When I tried to describe to people what I thought of the Matrix X-Sabre, I had this problem. I've only heard the GS-X briefly with my DAC and headphones, but it was a similar situation and will probably be even worse when mine arrives.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,650 of 6,346
Quote:
I haven't heard any DNA amp, sorry.
I understand, but it does get to a point where it's exactly what you want and it becomes hard to even describe anymore. When I tried to describe to people what I thought of the Matrix X-Sabre, I had this problem. I've only heard the GS-X briefly with my DAC and headphones, but it was a similar situation and will probably be even worse when mine arrives.

Got a pic with your X-Sabre and BHA-1 together? That's gotta be lovely. Also-I woulda ordered an X-Sabre a while ago...but I need the optical input. GRR.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back