The HE60/HEV70 is here! :Pics:
Nov 4, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #31 of 51
Addtionally, I think a lot of us didn't know about the phone before. Headfi is the single most informative headphone related site I've ever known (obviously). I had never known of the headphone stratosphere such as the HE90 or HE60 or that different amps could be used with them; And I only had very little info about STAX. I think we do something akin to advertising of these products. Like you said, the band is playing on the back of the wagon! Sure, somebody may have initially become interested in the product because it became discontinued, but I think the reason why so many of us are interested in it STILL is because we actually consider it to be GOOD.

If no one ever talked about it, I'd never really know about it, and hence, by definition, I would never become interested in it. It's a shame that it had to be 'discontinued' before someone took notice (and your point about that is totally valid). However, that in and of itself doesn't mean much other than human psychology tends to miss things once they are gone. But if sennheiser still made these units full blown, and the price was 1600 new and 1200 used, I'd still buy it and be happy. We'd probably have a more realistic ascertainment of its performance if this were the case though.

Neil

Nov 4, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #32 of 51
All Very good opinions here. If I could shed some light on how and why I purchased the HE60. I have been into Electrostatic speaker technology for the duration of my audiophile sickness. This can be traced to my Dad being an audiophile. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree eh? Growing up with conventional speakers as well as ESL’s Quad, Soundlab, Acoustat, numerous amplifiers (mostly tube), and god knows what else.. The Stats just held an heir of mystery regarding music reproduction.. Where was the sound coming from?? Why doesn’t it sound louder the closer it get..? Anyhow, thus the story goes.. I go to school, I get a job and the first thing on the list… Audio! The Electrostats are just where it’s at for me. Although the Wilson MAXX 2 sound might work
tongue.gif
. Naturally headphones weren’t far off the list for an “intimate” listening experience. (Don’t tell my girlfriend).. So The first thing I start in on was the Earspeakers and gravitated toward Sennheiser. (note: I do have a dynamic set) Why no one else is making stats… I dunno. I have no desire to chase down discontinued equipment unless it’s outstanding and can’t get the sonics elsewhere. Heck, I sold my ATH-W100 to my brother. (keep ‘em close)ahaa Yes, personal audio has grown huge in the last few years and Head-Fi fuels the fire- Yea !

Nov 4, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

I think the interest for HE60 awoke when some Head-Fiers discovered that it can be driven by other amplifiers than the original, or when that knowledge was spread.

Nope.That dog don't hunt at all.Fact is no one cared enough to even ask and any posts on this going back to some of my own that pre-date Head-Fi and go to listening to the cans in '01 were met with zero interest other than by those who already had the cans or KG who is MR 'Stat in the flesh.

Quote:

Addtionally, I think a lot of us didn't know about the phone before. Headfi is the single most informative headphone related site I've ever known (obviously). I had never known of the headphone stratosphere such as the HE90 or HE60 or that different amps could be used with them; And I only had very little info about STAX.

Again no one gave a crap.No one wanted to even discuss the Stax so the less well known Sennheiser product was even less interesting and the threads left to die and slide off the page evidence of that.Now we have a renewed interest because this is headfi and anything new is a must have even when it is something old.
Mention a vintage receiver that mates well with headphones and watch the run on that receiver at Ebay and also watch as the once bargain is transformeed into world class in cost.Does it matter that it was only "good" at the price point but that the new baseling cost is NOT a bragain and that far better could be had at the same price ?
Nope.It is the present FOTM and a must have.

Quote:

If no one ever talked about it, I'd never really know about it, and hence, by definition, I would never become interested in it. It's a shame that it had to be 'discontinued' before someone took notice (and your point about that is totally valid). However, that in and of itself doesn't mean much other than human psychology tends to miss things once they are gone. But if sennheiser still made these units full blown, and the price was 1600 new and 1200 used, I'd still buy it and be happy. We'd probably have a more realistic ascertainment of its performance if this were the case though.

The discussions were there but ignored and that is the fact of things as they were.Not picking on you man or even saying this is wrong but making an observation.One that is not only dead on target but seen over and over both here and formerly at headwize.This community thrives on the "me too" so they can feel as if they belong to a select group within the group.We all do it with our "Team XXX" designators which just label us as part of a thing that means nothing.
If that "team" just happens to be an exclusive group and a very expensive product,one out of the financial reach of the "commoner" even better.It makes the group even more exclusive.Then when the novelty wears off these "gotta have it " cans will again show up on the used equipment market and the price will drop as the demand drops.Just the way things work.
So my only point is "where was all this enthusiasm before the cans were discontinued" and the answer is nowhere.

BTW-this was my wife's favorite headphone when she gave a listen at the home entertainment show a couple of years back but when she seen the price she looked me straight in the eye and said "you do and you sleep alone"

She always did have more sense than the old man and I bought her off cheap with a set of vintage stax cans mated to a DIY triode amp even though I would have liked to get the green light then.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #34 of 51
Point taken. For me, I'm all about the music, and headfi is akin to some sort of socialy-acceptable drug dealer. Add to that the fanaticism over some phones and yeah eventually it becomes clear that the hype was more potent than the actual phones...

that being said, I am still enjoying my current stash
orphsmile.gif

Honestly though, lately I've realized that some of my greatest 'high's' with headphone related listening came back in college when I had an HD580 and no amp! Sure I couldn't listen on my discman too loud without distortion... but the music... the MUSIC!

Now over $20K in expenditure's later... I don't enjoy the music one IOTA more... it just feels like I will.

Neil

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #35 of 51
Upping this thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the HE60 on my head now. And it's simply wonderflu sounding.
The best can I've ever had. Baby-
orphsmile.gif

bye
Andrew

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
as long as you can live with the fact that they need to be switched on and playing music for 2-3 ours before your listening session. A bit annoying but that's all. They sound pretty bad on the fist 30 mins, and kind of average after that, starting to blossom at 2-3 hours.

Yes, that would bother me. Can you leave them playing forever?

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #37 of 51
The amp gets warm but I don't think this goes worse on 24/7 operation. I never tried it though.

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Upping this thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

orphsmile.gif

bye
Andrew

Yeah?

Jam it in a Stax 007t, it becomes AMAZINGLY better. If you need an adapter cable, I'm selling one
wink.gif

:p

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #40 of 51
The he60+007t pairing brings a more refined sound combination to the equation. Some headfiers might prefer the sound with the hev70.

I don't think I would as far as go to say because of a tonal balance change it is amazingly better but it's certainly different.

For people who prefer the he60 sound "as is" then the 007t pairing is a step in the wrong direction for them. Something like a Kgss would be more better suited.

Personally for me I prefer the he60+007t pairing although I don't see why the 006t couldn't be used.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Yeah?

Jam it in a Stax 007t, it becomes AMAZINGLY better. If you need an adapter cable, I'm selling one
wink.gif

:p

My HEV70 is upgraded with a stablized DC power supply. That brings more bass slam and dynamic.
wink.gif

Maybe I'll try a Stax 007t combo in a future.

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Upping this thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

orphsmile.gif

bye
Andrew

Awesome !!! Thread kickin' fun -
They are simply a pleasure!
Amazing, if you have seen my past threads on the various cans/amps I have owned there has to be a reason why I have almost stopped getting new set-ups... I can only imagine the HE90.....

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #44 of 51
I was lucky enough to get an HE60/HEV70/KGSS. The KGSS is being repaired so I haven't heard the combo yet. The HEV70 arrived a few days ago but the cans are with flecom, who is doing the KGSS repairs. I just received a stepdown transformer as the HEV70's are 220. I had been using the HE60's with a Stax SRM-1 mkII. Even with the Stax amp they sound great. I can't wait for the meet Saturday when the KGSS is supposed to be delivered.

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I was lucky enough to get an HE60/HEV70/KGSS. The KGSS is being repaired so I haven't heard the combo yet. The HEV70 arrived a few days ago but the cans are with flecom, who is doing the KGSS repairs. I just received a stepdown transformer as the HEV70's are 220. I had been using the HE60's with a Stax SRM-1 mkII. Even with the Stax amp they sound great. I can't wait for the meet Saturday when the KGSS is supposed to be delivered.

So you sent it for repair to flecom. Best of luck this time. I hope you can enjoy the HE60 with the KGSS soon. Highly resolving and fast if just a little bit on the thin side. Nothing a meaty source and some warm IC can't fix. Blackgates help there too.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back