The hate on beats, why?
Jan 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #76 of 1,217
Quote:
as trying to tell a D-average 17 year old or an aspiring meth head how stupid and pointless a 3.5 inch full exhaust is on a rusted, dented, no-paint, destroyed interior, held-together-with-bailing-wire-and-sticky-putty, auto transmission base model 98' civic 4 door sedan with destroyed suspension and CV joints that constantly scream in pain. 

blink.gif

I know absolutely nothing about automobiles but somehow I can relate to this.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #77 of 1,217
:blink:  

I know absolutely nothing about automobiles but somehow I can relate to this.

3.5 inch exhaust on a small, non turbo engine is stupid and pointless to those of us who know at least a little about cars because at a point in all engines you reach a spot where it actually hurts the flow of the exhaust, causing turbulence and reducing horsepower.

Most everyone sensible hates them because they make a quiet car intended for reliable commutes produce a terrible droning raspy rattling noise which can be heard from a preposterous distance through just about anything, usually between the hours of 11pm-4am, often coupled with a horribly unbalanced stereo blasting distasteful music.

That said, I dont inherently hate all loud exhausts, just the terrible ones. I appreciate the sound of a gruff, well running rumbly V8, or a silky powerful inline-six, and even a few well chosen clean deep note exhausts on a few 4cylinders. Most of the good ones are only loud and in your face or even noticeable in the distance where you can actually see them.

It's the sickly sounding fart cans heard 4 blocks before you see them that I am talking about, which aforementioned "people" think are cool and sound like race cars and somehow make their 130 horsepower small family car into a raceworthy vehicle.

Bad :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVYLUOaxMbo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sounds WORSE in real life

Good: well I can't find a video of a proper touring car without the DEAFENING sound of the transmission inside at some point. Unlike normal cars, they use straight cut gears to transfer more power, which are LOUD and get louder and more harsh the faster they go.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #79 of 1,217
We should chip in and buy this guy some ugly Sony V6s. I use mine as personal Beats slayers, one listen on select tracks usually knocks them down a few pegs but they wouldn't ever buy nor use them in public. 
No way.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #80 of 1,217
Quote:
That ear-shredding experience you mentioned, was it with the Solos?

One of them was. That was the last pair I tried, in the campus book store back in august. I was walking around between classes, listening to some Queens of the Stone Age on my HD595's, and walked in to look around and buy a snack as I hadn't yet been in the building (Freshman in first week of classes). There was a display with the Souls (Don't know what model), Beats Solo, and Sennheiser HD428's (Which I must find at the 30 dollars everyone here claims to have them for as a toss-around pair)

I had the EQ off, so I just plugged the beats in, hoping "Maybe this time it will be different". Pushed play. about 5 seconds, the entirety of the song started and it was just a disgusting muddy jumble of everything, to which I said, "Oh GAWD, no, #$@! this" and pretty much threw them off my head back at the table. The souls were a bit better and much cheaper, but were uncomfortable and still a bit muddy for my liking, where as the 428's were very impressive for the (I Think) 60$ price the store had on them... Reminded me quite alot of my old 485's as far as a general signature, though I haven't used them in long enough to make a fair comparison. 

I've tried a few beats models. All pretty much the same story. I think the Studio and Pro were the other two. Disappointing. 

What's even funnier is that many people only use them as a necklace a good 80% of the time anyway. Utter waste of money, plastic, and the energy and other materials needed to produce package and ship them, let alone the time and toil of the (probably) sweatshop-level Chinese workers spending 14+ hours a day putting them together.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #83 of 1,217
anyone else feel these threads are some kind of damage control done by the company? I only mention this due tot he fact that we get a similar thread every few weeks.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #85 of 1,217
Quote:
Thats exactly how I feel. I conducted a small test in college to see how peoples grades where with beats headphones, and most of them were in the F/ D- grade range, while people with Sennheisers/ Audio Technicas and other Good brands usually were in the B+/A range... interesting'

Hey I'm like the biggest slacker my university has ever known and I'm about the only one who knows what a headphone amp does

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #86 of 1,217
I can understand why products such as Beats have become so popular, due to celebrity endorsement, brand ubiquity etc.

I like to think of them as not much more than fashion accessories, but what disheartens me is the way so many are marketed as "giving you the music as the artist intended" or some other such revelatory terms, which, in my admittedly brief experience with such items, is difficult to justify..

But if other people are happy with them then I suppose it doesn't really matter to me.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #87 of 1,217
I can understand why products such as Beats have become so popular, due to celebrity endorsement, brand ubiquity etc.

I like to think of them as not much more than fashion accessories, but what disheartens me is the way so many are marketed as "giving you the music as the artist intended" or some other such revelatory terms, which, in my admittedly brief experience with such items, is difficult to justify..

But if other people are happy with them then I suppose it doesn't really matter to me.

Insecure/smug and or cocky/under or mis-informed/gullible youth with mommy and daddies money and something pointless to try and prove.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #88 of 1,217
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder how many people are really into sound quality rather than look in this forum. I do believe Beats looks nice, but the only thing they say about you is that you don't care anything about music, only the way you look, people around you wonder if they are originals (after all, those are the most counterfeited headphones after sennheiser cx300ii)

To be honest i consider them the worse headphones in my collection for sound quality (mine are not counterfeit by the by) but i have a selection of headphones + buds for different reasons including ones to match what im wearing which is quite an odd thing i will admit, but i own sennheisers, monsters sony and im looking to buy Q40s for my next addition to my collection. im a bass head but the bass is really muddy on all beats but that dont apply to monster as a whole i love my VECTRs probably more than my sennheiser 205s and my sadly missed 25s :'( ill post pictures as soon as the site sorts the issue im having with my profile. (as for people wondering if they are fakes, i wear alot of armarni, money and diesel so people are probably wondering if my clothes are real too haha... they are btw) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back