The hate on beats, why?
Jun 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #91 of 1,217
You know, reading this thread has given me an idea
Next semester in my campus i want to borrow my friend's beats headphones and bring them along with my creative aurvana live (a heck lot cheaper). 
I want to let random people try both of them and know how much they cost to make people realize how overpriced the beats headphones are......

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #93 of 1,217
O_O 
size]

the CAL to me sounds bassy enough, comparable to M50s and are way more clear and detailed than beats.
but then again different people have different opinions

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #94 of 1,217
I dont have anything against beats, but just holding them feels like something is wrong.

But I do like the executives, great isolation and not that bass heavy. My wife has one since she's into house music (unlike me)

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #95 of 1,217
549926_4736127366444_1442603986_n.jpg

If you want to know what Beats sound like, use these EQ settings on any $50+ headphones.
Though keep in mind the bass on the Beats is generally less accurate than the phones you did this to.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #96 of 1,217
We don't hate beats because they are expensive. We hate the Beats because they are Overpriced. If I could afford a pair of Sennheiser HD 700s, I would get them immediately, and that's going over 1K $. Next, we get angry because a lot of people get scammed into buying beats and then brag about it and we get called out for not wearing Beats. With Beats you are basically paying for the brand names.

And a god awful design.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #97 of 1,217
I actually...kind of like my Beats Pro. Granted, it took some modding (basically just damping and taming the treble a little) but now they're one of the most fun headphones in my collection. They're not very technically good (they sound pretty closed in) but it has its place in my system.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that they take surprisingly well to amping. They're pretty loose-sounding from a DAP, but they tighten up to a hilarious degree when plugged into my EHHA or SA-31.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #98 of 1,217
I listened to Monster Inspiration NC headphones recently and thought they sounded decent. I've seen them on sale for around $160.00 over xmas too. They were a bit bass heavy but some like that. I remember listening to Beats some years ago and didn't like them because the bottom end sounded muddy.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #99 of 1,217
  (snip)

If you want to know what Beats sound like, use these EQ settings on any $50+ headphones.
Though keep in mind the bass on the Beats is generally less accurate than the phones you did this to.

And that's precisely why I own my studios. Too much bass isn't a statement outside of this website. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #100 of 1,217
I can't say I have heard beats, but I have never understood the "fashion" or aesthetic logic behind getting them. I mean, they look like cheap, tacky crap. Their logo is really awful too, so slapping it onto any headphones will instantly make them look tacky. I mean their whole style screams fashion over function - they just don't seem like a legit company that knows anything about audio. I just can't take them seriously… And, as with anything that is mass-marketed, the general side-effect of spending tons on marketing is they're NOT spending money on R&D / engineering to actually improve the product. It's like that old adage, "Don't talk about it, BE about it". All Beats does is TALK about how good they are. When I see someone wearing Beats, I can't help but think "marketing pawn". For some I can't fault them because if they don't know there is more out there, then they don't know that they're missing anything, and they are simply buying what they think is the best. Hopefully someday they will see the light.

While I haven't heard Beats myself, I have done a lot of reading on them by people who I trust and admire in the audiophile world, and their recommendations are good enough for me. I also hate thinking that there are kids out there in grade / high school who think they need to have beats to be accepted, or "cool". That's just sad, but if people have the money and they want them, then they can buy whatever they want. I just think its hilarious how people are constantly looking for approval, or justification after finding out they're not that great and overpriced. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #101 of 1,217
They would not be bad if you had never heard anything else, just like razers $150 headphones would sound amazing if all you had used was earbuds/cheap headphones.

The reason they receive alot of hate, is that they are insanely overpriced for what you receive in terms of audio quality. Just like razer, you pay for the marketing/style, and loose out on audio quality which is what they are meant for in the first place.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #105 of 1,217
Do this experiment: go to http://forums.egullet.org/ and ask what they think of McDonald's and why Michelin overlooks that esteemed brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back