The hate on beats, why?
May 22, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #691 of 1,217
Reading through Head-Fi gave me the impression that Beats were being ganged up on, perhaps unfairly. Nevertheless, I had never bothered listened to Beats. Out of curiosity, I decided to give some of the models a try the other day. I was comparing to Sennheiser Momentum over ear and B&W P7s. I first compared to Beats Executives and Beats Studios. The Momentums and P7s easily outclassed them. I then tried the Beats solos - I could not believe how horrible these headphones were! Thin and muddy at the same time. I now understand where the hate comes from.

May 22, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #692 of 1,217
Reading through Head-Fi gave me the impression that Beats were being ganged up on, perhaps unfairly. Nevertheless, I had never bothered listened to Beats. Out of curiosity, I decided to give some of the models a try the other day. I was comparing to Sennheiser Momentum over ear and B&W P7s. I first compared to Beats Executives and Beats Studios. The Momentums and P7s easily outclassed them. I then tried the Beats solos - I could not believe how horrible these headphones were! Thin and muddy at the same time. I now understand where the hate comes from.

Even the "good" Beats headphones - whichever one someone happens to think they are - are not very good; they're a very poor value. You should always expect better for your money, but as chance would have it, it's Beats and Monster headphones you'll find in most stores, not Sennheiser or Bowers & Wilkins (usually).

I know of no headphone off the top of my head that costs the same as the Beats Pro and sounds any worse.

May 22, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #693 of 1,217
  Even the "good" Beats headphones - whichever one someone happens to think they are - are not very good; they're a very poor value. You should always expect better for your money, but as chance would have it, it's Beats and Monster headphones you'll find in most stores, not Sennheiser or Bowers & Wilkins (usually).

I know of no headphone off the top of my head that costs the same as the Beats Pro and sounds any worse.

It's definitely their biggest issue for me.  The value proposition is not there.  I get a deal on every headphone I get and haven't paid over $169 for any of them so far.  I've listened to the new Studios and would consider getting them...but at half the price.

I expect that $$$ figure to change this Thanksgiving when I get an HD6X0 or an HE500...but I'll still try to get a Black Friday deal!  If I don't get a deal, the value would still be there phones as far as I'm concerned...yeah even at $599 (ugh)

May 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #694 of 1,217

I can think of a couple that I've owned that subjectively sounded worse than my Beats Pro: Velodyne vTrue, Sennheiser PXC450, Audio Technica W1000X (I'm thought mine was defective, but they sounded the same with new drivers. Their sound signature just didn't work with me; I couldn't stand them for more than 5 minutes at a time without getting a really painful headache and needing to throw up. I'm not the biggest fan of my AD2000 either, but I'm gradually warming up to it.)

May 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #695 of 1,217

Once you buy Beats, you're throwing sound quality and value for money out the window. 

May 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #696 of 1,217
Once you buy Beats, you're throwing sound quality and value for money out the window. 
the studio 2.0 sound signature is comparable to v-moda m-100, which some people forget. The lp is comparable to studio 1.0 which people also seem to forget.

May 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #697 of 1,217
the studio 2.0 sound signature is comparable to v-moda m-100, which some people forget. The lp is comparable to studio 1.0 which people also seem to forget.

But V-Modas aren't any better than Beats. Only their reputation isn't as tainted.

May 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #698 of 1,217
  But V-Modas aren't any better than Beats. Only their reputation isn't as tainted.

Yeah but...I paid $40 for my set of M80s (and $10 for my Bass Freq IEMs) -- both of which I like a lot btw.

May 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #699 of 1,217
Yeah, V-Moda used to have the price advantage against Beats, not anymore. The M100 is $300 and the XS is $200 so they are matching the prices of their respective competitors from Beats. Beats may have gotten people into more expensive headphones, but the flip side of that is over this decade the prices of headphones have shot up to the moon. Headphone prices are like horsepower, 300 is nothing special anymore, and just a decade ago, there was nothing that was 1000, nowadays, that number serves as the point of entry into the highest of the high-end.

May 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #700 of 1,217

and why does this bother any of you?  dont buy them then and be done with it :/
you guys are really bothered over sennheisers shelf space?

honestly, i wonder how many things you guys buy that get everyone else riled up because the value doesnt add up to them?  

i hope you guys dont own gibson guitars
or buy rice krispies instead of crispy rice
or buy nikes over asics

and on, and on, and on

May 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #701 of 1,217

and why does this bother any of you?  dont buy them then and be done with it :/
you guys are really bothered over sennheisers shelf space?

honestly, i wonder how many things you guys buy that get everyone else riled up because the value doesnt add up to them?  

i hope you guys dont own gibson guitars
or buy rice krispies instead of crispy rice
or buy nikes over asics

and on, and on, and on

I actually had to laugh at this IRL because it's a disagreement for the sake of disagreeing.

If I care enough to say I don't think Beats products are very good, what does that say about you that you're bothered by my opinion enough to say something about it?

If you don't like what I say, just don't read it.

See how I can so easily turn that logic on you? I don't dislike Beats products because I buy them.

May 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #702 of 1,217

I actually had to laugh at this IRL because it's a disagreement for the sake of disagreeing.

If I care enough to say I don't think Beats products are very good, what does that say about you that you're bothered by my opinion enough to say something about it?

If you don't like what I say, just don't read it.

See how I can so easily turn that logic on you? I don't dislike Beats products because I buy them.

please dont mistake my posting about for caring.  i dont care, and im certainly not "bothered". lol

i find this thread ; and the overall hatred of beats interesting.  especially because most of the issue seems to be taken with other people not getting value for money or other brands not getting recognition people feel they deserve.  im fascinated that people have such defenses over other peoples bank accounts.

May 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #703 of 1,217

please dont mistake my posting about for caring.  i dont care, and im certainly not "bothered". lol

i find this thread ; and the overall hatred of beats interesting.  especially because most of the issue seems to be taken with other people not getting value for money or other brands not getting recognition people feel they deserve.  im fascinated that people have such defenses over other peoples bank accounts.

But this thread was asking why people hate Beats. I don't have a problem with people discussing why Beats is a poor value and which brands deserve more recognition than another. However, your last point I can more than agree with. Hostility towards Beats owners is fatiguing. They're the most popular brand, you're not going to see only one person on the street wearing them, so just let it go, folks.

Personally, I can name one very overrated headphone that actually comes from a respectable manufacturer, which I think genuinely gets too much hype - including from people who have never listened to a pair. You might have heard of them: ATH-M50s. They're not a bad headphone by any stretch of the imagination, but among audio communities, they're the oh-so-amazing darling headphone. It might as well be Beats.

But who am I to judge, ultimately? Not my money. I just won't buy a pair, like you said.

May 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #704 of 1,217

Well, I'm going to speak for myself with this one, but..
I find it to be very irritating when I hear someone say things that are not true, even after having seen/heard the evidence. Like saying 'beats are the best headphones ever made.'. Well no, it doesn't get even close to a Stax SR009, Sony R10 or Sennheiser He90 Orpheus.
Or that beats are 'perfect for mixing'. Someone from my class says that his beats studio are the best headphones to mix with, I showed him the frequency response graph and explained what it is and how you can clearly see that his beats are pretty bad for "mixing". His words: "You're just jealous!". I have exactly the same headphone, and a higher one in the beats series, and I quite hate them and feel stupid for buying them.

May 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #705 of 1,217
  Well, I'm going to speak for myself with this one, but..
I find it to be very irritating when I hear someone say things that are not true, even after having seen/heard the evidence. Like saying 'beats are the best headphones ever made.'. Well no, it doesn't get even close to a Stax SR009, Sony R10 or Sennheiser He90 Orpheus.
Or that beats are 'perfect for mixing'. Someone from my class says that his beats studio are the best headphones to mix with, I showed him the frequency response graph and explained what it is and how you can clearly see that his beats are pretty bad for "mixing". His words: "You're just jealous!". I have exactly the same headphone, and a higher one in the beats series, and I quite hate them and feel stupid for buying them.

it sounds like you guys are surrounded by cartoon characters.  lol.  

honestly, what did you expect though?  he dropped 300 big on these headphones, and you're intent to is to essentially show him he wasted his money.  people tend to get wonky like that.  

Id be lucky to find someone in reality that actually cared about headphones that much, period.  let alone what brands you're rocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back