The hate on beats, why?
Jan 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #241 of 1,217
  When you emphasize something like bass in the beats (have you seen the frequency response graphs- its ridiculous its  like the elephant man) you lose out on mids and treble and they don't have anywhere near the clarity REAL headphones in their price range would have. 

But I get that sound. I understand the visceral bass reaction. The point is you could do a lot better for the price range.

FWIW, we should 'Consolidate the Hate' on one thread as the same BEATdown is raging over here as well! -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/515879/whats-so-bad-about-studio-beats-by-dr-dre/75

Anyway, thought I check some data since you suggested it.  On the Innerfidelity frequency response graphs, the Beats Pros seem to have a more uniform bass response than DT770s.  

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MonsterBeatsPro.pdf

Not sure if they've redesigned the Pros like they've done with the Studios...but apparently folks with solid Head-Fi experience and great headphone inventories (SR-009 & 007s, HD800s, TH900s, LCD Xs, P7s, DNAs, and Skullcandy Aviators) own Beats Studio 2013s and listen to them. Sounds like I need to give Beats Studios (and Skullcandy Aviators) another look!   :wink:  

Hmmm...Aviators in White...$60.99...couldn't resist!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aviator-headphones/2137168.p?id=1218311132548&skuId=2137168&st=aviator%20skullcandy&cp=1&lp=1

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #242 of 1,217
  Sounds like I need to give Beats Studios (and Skullcandy Aviators) another look!   :wink:  

Hmmm...Aviators in White...$60.99...couldn't resist!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aviator-headphones/2137168.p?id=1218311132548&skuId=2137168&st=aviator%20skullcandy&cp=1&lp=1

$55.99 after my Rewards Certificate.  Picking up at lunch.  For the first time in years, I feel so, so...alive! 
May have to write my first review! 

Guilt sets in -- I'm so ashamed...I'm 54 years old.    :-0

Order Date:  01/15/2014
Skullcandy - Aviator Headphones - White
S6AVCM-072 

SKU:  2137168 
Picking up in store

Pick up:  Today,  Wed., Jan. 15 
We’ll hold until: Thu., Jan. 23 

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #243 of 1,217

$55.99 after my Rewards Certificate.  Picking up at lunch.  For the first time in years, I feel so, so...alive! 

S6AVCM-072 

Picking up in store

Ashamed for owning Skullcandy? Idgi.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #245 of 1,217
I like VMODA and agree they are quality. But what you said is the problem with most "anti-beats" arguements. You heard them a year ago. Yes some have not changed but saying Beats suck is an across the line arguement. I have only heard the mixr and studios in the last year. Neither "suck". Again may not be an audiophile's cup of tea, but they don't suck. The studio doesn't have bloated bass, and has better treble and mids than anything in their line, compared to their older phones. That line is better than a lot of mid-fi phones out there. Now are the expensive, to me, yes, no doubt, but I don't speak for anyone other than me and my family on price.

The problem is, all the haters think the old Studio is the only Beats headphone around. That's so 2007. 

Yes I do, and I see nothing wrong with hating big bloated uncontrolled bass of Beats and Bose. And I personally don't have to waste energy on hating them, just stay away from them as far as possible.

Uncontrolled? Bose? The bass in Beats is intentional. and Bose is just like a bass-light version of Beats. When I first heard the Bose AE2i, I was amazed how un-boring it sounded. The Bose QC15 were also quite something. 

That list could go for a few manufacturers, actually.

Too many continue to lump "beats" togther and speak on one as a whole. They have several models and all sound different. If you hears solos a long time ago, you really should only speak on solos. If you heard pros and didn't like them, speak on the pros. They don't sound the alike.

"But the only Beats headphone around are the old Studios! They use batteries and they suck."

Actually I tried the beats mixr 3 months ago. At first when I looked at it, it looks smaller than the ad beats show. But still, size doesn't matter, so I wear it. I played Armin van Buuren's spectrum mix, I found the sound is similar to my $50 urbanears fasion headphones which is broken. Other than that, the padding is kind of horrible. Still a decent job by beats.

I do agree the padding is horrible on the Mixrs. It's like clamping two halves of a barrel against your ears. But for an unpowered set, the Mixrs somehow are the loudest headphone that Beats make. 

S6AVCM-072 

Picking up in store

$55.99? You paid too much. I only spent $13 on the Skullcandy Aviators.

No way someone will write something decent about a beats headphone. Impossible.

Beats have the portability and design that no other headphone can substitute. Many have tried, only to be bagged out as Beats wannabes (Fanny Wang, Shure SRH440, Yamaha Pro 300/500, TDK ST-700/ST-750 and many others).

OK, so maybe not the Shures. But I remember someone saying that a particular model of Shures look like the Beats Studios.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #247 of 1,217
I don't mind the aviators at all tbh. I gave mine to my girlfriend. They fold pretty well, nice cable, sound sig is to her liking.

Braided cables ftw! I found the sound to be relatively weak, relative to an average 32 ohm headphone. Worth every dollar of $13 though! Got 'em off a friend and it has a faulty headphone jack, so it doesn't really count. I fixed it all up though, good as new!

AFylpCL.jpg

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #248 of 1,217
I guess I just need to accept that most of the beats haters have still not heard the 2013 studios and are speaking broadbase about the whole line based off that one time at band camp when they heard the tuba player's solos from '08.

I kid of course, but it does amaze me how many rag on them and then say they last heard them 2 years ago. However, I speak only on the mixr and new studios as those are all I have really heard.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #249 of 1,217
Well the beats hate comes from selling mediocre or bad headphones for incredible prices and telling the world that that was "what the artist intended". I bought the beats tour and while they are not bad, the sound and built quality is something you outgrow very fast...

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #251 of 1,217
The Tours are just like any other low-end IEM. They only sound bassy relative to Apple earbuds because they're IEMs.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #253 of 1,217
Again, not everyone is analyzing music. Some are just trying to enjoy it. They don't want the flattest or most neutral responce. In fact, most (the reason for beats success) don't want to be critical listeners. They want to bob their head, smile and rock out.
If they feel the money is worth it, so be it.

I thought the ipod analogy was great earlier.
This is what I believe music is all about. Sitting their picking out every little note and instrument is just so dull to me.

Music wa made to be enjoyed, when I was young I remember massive parties with fun 90's music like this
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTwgMTI704

For me this hobby started to ruin my love for music and made it all about the equipment but to hell with that! Grab a fun set of phones and just love your music! The Denon D7100 are my next headphone purchase having sold most of my collection I'm sticking with the music Denons! I already have the D600 so them two will serve me for years until they break.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #254 of 1,217
Thanks the information guys. I've been looking around and reading some reviews on beats. I'm thinking of buying one. Now I really need to read what other people are saying about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back