The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!)
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #61 of 229
I
I  Believe the cups they say don’t effect SQ are the half cup for those who aren’t crazy enough to fully liberate their driver. I believe it’s well established that the tone woods have a big influence on sound.
When I compared one tone-wood I was using to Hard Maple I stopped making cups out of that tone wood because it sounded so bad compared to hard Maple.
In the back of my head though I always had that thought, am I imagining this, is my brain playing\ games with my ears?

I had a similar thought the other night after a loving tender moment with my wife. Am I really in love with my wife I thought………….. or………… am I just hard wired through evolution and brain chemistry to feel love so I can pass on my genetic material…..is the evolutionary biology god running a con job on my emotions ?.........................................Damn you Charles Darwin!

I have definitely noticed an effect from wood cups personally...tried it with two stock 225i and definitely noted a change.

I say calling love a simple evolutionary urge is just listing the components of something that is to be enjoyed regardless. Sometimes you don't want to look in the kitchen and see what ingredients go into your meal, you just want to receive and enjoy your meal :)

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #62 of 229
EBay, I thought it was sketchy at first but will continue to buy off this dealer. Ill have to find the seller info for you. Im sure I could find some at a local mill yard somewhere around here, but they'd have to have it shipped as well. I paid 28 shipped for a 1 1/4 in thich 8 inch wide by 30 inch piece of black limba. Even if its pricey by and means its very convenient. And you pic the exact piece you'll be getting.

I haven't looked very much, but in looking for limba, I found Woodworkers Source in Arizona.  I am in Phoenix for the winter so I just ran down there and picked some up.  I got carried away and bought a couple of board feet of limba and same amount of iroko....more than a lifetime supply I expect.  Started working on my first set of limba cups today.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #63 of 229

I have Alessandro MS1i and am in the process of making wooden cups for them.   

In “The Great Grado Experiment,” how are the drivers installed in the wooden cups?

What makes the installation firm enough to use the benefits of the wooden cups?

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #64 of 229
As long as Limba is being mentioned, I went to my local awesome wood supplier asking about black limba. Turns out, all his shipping crates from Africa that his wood arrives in are all black limba board stock. He is going to measure the thickness and if it's right, I may have a huge unending supply. Thought that was crazy that it's common enough over there to use as packing material kind of like pine over here :D

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #65 of 229
As long as Limba is being mentioned, I went to my local awesome wood supplier asking about black limba. Turns out, all his shipping crates from Africa that his wood arrives in are all black limba board stock. He is going to measure the thickness and if it's right, I may have a huge unending supply. Thought that was crazy that it's common enough over there to use as packing material kind of like pine over here
biggrin.gif

That's amazing!  I expect you can use them regardless of thickness.  Just plane them down then cut and glue to the desirfed thickness. This could affect the sonic qualities, but I don't expect it would be too much.  I will be interested to hear what others think.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #67 of 229

I have Alessandro MS1i and am in the process of making wooden cups for them.   

In “The Great Grado Experiment,” how are the drivers installed in the wooden cups?

What makes the installation firm enough to use the benefits of the wooden cups?

They have a slit in the side so there is no need for soldering and the drivers fit tight enough to stay in place while testing.
At least they started out that way, who knows how long they will stay that way.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #68 of 229
  They have a slit in the side so there is no need for soldering and the drivers fit tight enough to stay in place while testing.
At least they started out that way, who knows how long they will stay that way.

Thank you for the information.  I have glued the limba blocks and will start on the lathe tomorrow.  I will probably approach the first set as a prototype and build them the same way you did, so that I don't have to resolder them too much. Thanks for the info.  

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #70 of 229
Good news, bad news:

Good news: I've enjoyed my impressions of the wooden cups - yet, still have more areas to focus on.

Bad news: I broke a gimbal for the headphones and called Grado this morning.  They will be sending a new one out, but it could be a week.

I should put these back into the queue and can forward them onto the next reviewer in the lineup, as I've have them for a bit longer than I should have.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #72 of 229
  Good news, bad news:

Good news: I've enjoyed my impressions of the wooden cups - yet, still have more areas to focus on.

Bad news: I broke a gimbal for the headphones and called Grado this morning.  They will be sending a new one out, but it could be a week.

I should put these back into the queue and can forward them onto the next reviewer in the lineup, as I've have them for a bit longer than I should have.

take your time and finish! Im still out of town 2 more weeks lol

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #73 of 229
I have a pair of Cocobolo cups from a member on here for my MS1's. The pads won't stay on, and slip off when put on. Anyone have a solution to holding the pads on?

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #74 of 229
I have a pair of Cocobolo cups from a member on here for my MS1's. The pads won't stay on, and slip off when put on. Anyone have a solution to holding the pads on?

This thread would be more suited to answer your question: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back