The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!)
Nov 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #76 of 229
Thanks. Crisis averted. I picked up a pair of Auvio headphones today for the headband. Back in business.

Which model of the Auvio will fit? 

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive set of headphones to use as a holder for my experimental Alessandro driver based woodies. 

I'm into function, not appearance or comfort, and my woodies presently are 50mm diameter.  I can reduce them further if necessary to fit the frame.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #77 of 229

Which model of the Auvio will fit?

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive set of headphones to use as a holder for my experimental Alessandro driver based woodies.

It is the following headphone @ Radio Shack.  While it is $24.99 today at Radio Shack, it will go down to $9.99 on Thanksgiving day if you shop online at Radioshack.com.  Or, it also will be priced at $9.99 on Friday morning starting at 8:00 A.M.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #78 of 229
Great!  Nothing quite as good as functional and on sale.  I'll check the local RS in a couple of minutes.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #80 of 229
Just sent my PM in to join this awesome experiment. My 325's are ready and waiting.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #81 of 229
  Just sent my PM in to join this awesome experiment. My 325's are ready and waiting.

Nice.  It's great to have another member in the mix with this effort.  I have the Senneheiser drivers running on the Walnut cups at this time.  I'm pushing through some of the tracks that I'm most familiar with and determining a baseline to move ahead.  Initially, when I fired up the drivers in the Walnut cups, I had a brief thought.  Given the large cut-out where the mesh would usually go on the outside of the cup, I wonder how much this could affect the bass?  Or, since the cups have about 1/3rd less material since they are just basic rings?  It might just be how I've initially interpreted the kick off on my end.  Then again, this is just an exercise in determining how the 4 species of woods stand up against each other with respect to their own density, porosity, etc.

Time will tell.  I will have the cups ready to go out on Monday morning to the next trial individual, along with posting my impressions based on the cups, the scores, etc.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #85 of 229
It's Benedict, what do you expect? :) JK

Poor bugger looks tired, no wonder he had to step down.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #87 of 229
Great job! I'm really surprised the wooden liner could make such a marketable difference in the sound signature. It would be interesting to try this with my grados sometime. 

I can assure its at least as much difference as a bass knob or something similar on an amplifier :) the other effects besides tone are what really caught me off guard.

One thing I can say about EVERY wood, when compared to the plastic shells was that they all had an airy and more 'resonant' body to them.

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #88 of 229
+1 for this idea! I just made a pair of cherry wood cups and am pretty happy with them, but it looks like I'm going to have to go for walnut next!!

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #89 of 229
  +1 for this idea! I just made a pair of cherry wood cups and am pretty happy with them, but it looks like I'm going to have to go for walnut next!!

Not so fast.  It really depends on your music that you like.  I have to get my impressions finished up and posted in the next 36 hours or so.  The cherry cups are not anemic in any way.  The cherry has its beauty too  -  in sound, as well as some good looks.  Again, the impression I share might give a bit more insight with respect to my observations.

The Pope actually has a likeness for Italian goods and might give the nod to the Grados.  He's quite the fan of the red Italian leather shoes of all things.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #90 of 229
Edited first post 12-2-13 adding Fleasbaby and Armandhammer to the list. Also shot PMs all around figuring out who's next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back