The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!)
Dec 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #107 of 229
You laugh...I think I saw something along those lines by lostMIDrange a long time ago...they were Limba cups with a darker wood on the end...he made a few pairs, and I saw them hit the classifieds a twice, then they were gone...

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #108 of 229
Phase 2 of the Experiment: LAMINATES!  Walnut for the highs, Cherry for the mids and Maple for the lows.  : )

Ohh this sounds gooood.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #109 of 229
Finally finished with the cherry cups... moving on to the maples today! (the plan is to live with one cup with my o2/ODAC for a minimum of 10 hours... with a 10 song playlist I've constructed of songs I normally use to evaluate tubes... my review should be done just before Christmas... probably posted after the holiday though.  

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #110 of 229
Great, don't let the other reviews sway you.

I do think you should throw in those Ebony cups as these cups should make their way back to me and they would make a great Christmas present. 
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #111 of 229
I am personally loving what African Blackwood did to my SR80 pinks...I was worried about using a harder wood, but it seemed to stabilize and clean up their sound more than anything else...plus it just looks dead sexy :D

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #112 of 229
I thought I'd share a bit of blast from the past with all of you.  We did something a bit similar about 2 years ago where some of us members were sharing our impressions of various woods with our cups at the time.  I performed about 4 reviews and shared pictures in that thread to include a $595 pair of Marty's creations that I was able to try for a few weeks and provide some impressions on.

Here's the thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/558621/woodied-grado-review-and-impressions-thread

Enjoy!

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #113 of 229
I thought I'd share a bit of blast from the past with all of you.  We did something a bit similar about 2 years ago where some of us members were sharing our impressions of various woods with our cups at the time.  I performed about 4 reviews and shared pictures in that thread to include a $595 pair of Marty's creations that I was able to try for a few weeks and provide some impressions on.

Here's the thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/558621/woodied-grado-review-and-impressions-thread

Enjoy!

Great, don't let the other reviews sway you.

I do think you should throw in those Ebony cups as these cups should make their way back to me and they would make a great Christmas present.  :smile:

@WJE, I'll add that to the front page tomorrow hopefully!

@7keys, so KVTaco is the last to receive this batch of cups? I thought these cups were designed not to be used othe than for the rotation.

@KvTaco, glad to hear its coming along nicely!! Looking forward to your impressions.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #114 of 229
I think he was just dropping Santa a hint about the ebonies, not the impressions cups :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #115 of 229
I'm hoping that eventually they'll make there way back to me, after everyone who wants to test them has a turn and it sure would be nice if there was a nice ebony set in with the others.
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #116 of 229
^ruthless lol

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #117 of 229
so close to my turn

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #118 of 229
  so close to my turn

I'll be wrapping up this Saturday! Please PM me your info and I'll get em' sent when I'm back after Christmas!

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #120 of 229
  I have a question: the drivers are attached using tape (dynamat?) to the cup, right? Doesn't the tape affect the wood natural resonances to some extend?   

no these are exact fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back