The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!)
Feb 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #166 of 229
  First, I'd like to thank everybody who put this great little tour together.  Also, I'd like to thank everyone to being so understanding and patient with me having a 1 month ban from head-fi which complicated things.  

I used sr80 pink drivers with a standard Grado cable.  I was going to use a different cable, either cardas or a hybrid litz cable but decided against it.  It was to remove as many variables that could influence the sound. Sad part... one of my drivers died right after testing..... just my luck lol.

Source I used a Modi Dac > Kimber PBJ IC > Magni amp.  

Let's start off by saying I won't talk about aesthetics of the cups as they really aren't "finished" cups so I'll just concentrate on the sound.  Let's begin shall we.

Walnut

I really liked the cohesiveness of these cups.  There was great transparency throughout the spectrum.  Something I loved about it is that it added some "bite" and "grit" to the sound.  It wasn't smooth or mellow but in your face.  

Lows:  It went extended a little deeper than the others and had a good presence and feel to the lows.  It was definitely a full body sound at the lows. 
Mids:  I think the Mids were the highlight as they seemed the most spot on.  It was engaging, super transparent and clear.  By far the best with the vocals.
Highs:  I absolutely adored the highs.  I'm pretty much a treble head if anything so some might not like it.   It definitely had a brighter treble than I was expecting seeing how full bodied the lows were.

Maple

These were "coldest" of them all.  It has good clarity.  I think these had the best top end of all the cups.  

Lows: Not as full or heavy as the others but was quick in delivery and decay.  Probably not the best for bass heavy songs.
Mids:  Somewhat recessed and further back that the lows and highs.  Not the best for vocal heavy songs.
Highs:  The best of them all.  (remember I'm a treble head if anything)  It was amazing, great clarity, transparency, quick and sharp.  

Cherry

The most mid centric of them all.  This is the one if you want vocals.  It gave me goosebumps listening to some songs.  I didn't car about the bass, guitar or drums....the highlight was the artist and what he/she was saying.  

Lows:  Polite and not as prominent.  While it was tight there simply just wasn't enough of it.  It had quality but the quality was lacking.
Mids:  Oh how I just drowned in a pool of warm syrup of these mids. It was captivating. Timbre was amazing, clarity was spot on.... vocals..... just wow. It was smooth and pulled you along where it wanted and you didn't fight it.  you were happy to follow it to the ends of the earth if thats where it led you.
Highs:  There was a spike somewhere but I didn't take the time to find out exactly somewhere but it was there.  Anyone who is sensitive to sibilant highs should stay away.  Very crisp and clear but sometimes it extended to far somewhere.  

Birch

I'm not going to write about these and I didn't like them at all.  Not trying to be rude or mean; but I didn't like it.  

Summary

Want the all arounder?  Get the Walnut
Want somewhat of a v-shape sig?  Get the Maple
Want some good ole mid-centric greatness?  Get the Cherry

Great review....thanks!

It's good to see you back.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #167 of 229
Thank you for the review.  I am building woodies and I am thinking that the direction of the grain relative to the driver is important.  Does the wood grain on these woodies run perpendicular to the driver as I would expect?

A simple answer would be appreciated as I have no desire to hijack the thread.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #168 of 229
Yay teke's back!

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #169 of 229
Feb 7, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #170 of 229
Feb 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #171 of 229
I pretty much agreed with everyone else's findings, so I thought instead of tediously re-stating the obvious, I would do a pictorial review...so without further ado, in order of preference:

Walnut:

Cherry:

Maple:

Birch

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #174 of 229
It is indeed...I was an Olympic shotput athlete in the old country before I moved to Amrika...can you tell from my fine Speedo-physique?

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #176 of 229
Ladies and Gentlemen, the cups are on their way to JoeDoe to be abused as he sees fit...

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #178 of 229
I'm sending another set of cups to joedoe to replace the birch. A super hard wood from South America.

For your listening pleasure.

Im jelly

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #179 of 229
I'm sending another set of cups to joedoe to replace the birch. A super hard wood from South America.

For your listening pleasure.
oh jeez I wish! What kind is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back