The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!)
Jan 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #151 of 229
It has been said it does. I haven't experimented with it too much myself though. In all the mining I did on Head-Fi, it appeared the consensus was that if you must finish the cups, use something like linseed or tung oil. If you want to laquer/varnish them, do only the outside.

As always though, YMMV. I have seen very heated debates over smaller adjustments that really made no difference to me whatsoever.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #153 of 229
I would say it does. I put a little oil on the inside.

Do you put oil on because it affects sound quality in any way, or is that just for aesthetics/durability of the wood?

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #155 of 229
Cups arrived yesterday in the mail!

What headbands has everyone been using? I have a pair of Sony MDR-702 arriving this week that I will be using for my closed-back build later...I think I will simply use their headband as the standard Grado looks a tad narrow.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #157 of 229
No worries...the 7502 arrived this evening. Took a listen to them stock for three seconds. Hated them, started dismantling. I think I can make it work...if not I will whip over to Radio Shack at some point this weekend and get one of those cheapie sets and rip them apart too...

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #158 of 229
No worries...the 7502 arrived this evening. Took a listen to them stock for three seconds. Hated them, started dismantling. I think I can make it work...if not I will whip over to Radio Shack at some point this weekend and get one of those cheapie sets and rip them apart too...
if you wanna send the 7502 cups and cables my way I wouldn't mind :) could A/B them and my new V6's.
EDIT NEVERMIND NEVERMIND NO THANK YOU. I was thinking of the V6's big brothers XD

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #159 of 229
if you wanna send the 7502 cups and cables my way I wouldn't mind
smily_headphones1.gif
could A/B them and my new V6's.
EDIT NEVERMIND NEVERMIND NO THANK YOU. I was thinking of the V6's big brothers XD

LMAO...I was going to say, if the V6 sound like these then
triportsad.gif

The plan is actually to use the pads, cable and headband with some KSC75 drivers and a pair of cups I am getting done with a completely closed back. The cups will look like the ones in my signature, just with no mesh and they will probably be Paduak.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #160 of 229
*chuckle* okay, so I can't make the 7502 headband work, and I wasn't going to let Radio Shack charge me $25 for a headphone they were pitching on Black Friday for $10...so I hit eBay and found these gems....

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=171208901037

Should be kitted out to do the tests as soon as they arrive.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #161 of 229
*chuckle* okay, so I can't make the 7502 headband work, and I wasn't going to let Radio Shack charge me $25 for a headphone they were pitching on Black Friday for $10...so I hit eBay and found these gems....

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=171208901037

Should be kitted out to do the tests as soon as they arrive.

The link didn't work for me but searching on ebay for the item number 171208901037 works.  I was able to get a couple of pair at RS on Black Friday but these look about the same and cost less.  Should work fine.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #162 of 229
Plus I get those awesome drivers and the cups with the little bits of plastic in them for parts :D

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #163 of 229
Am home sick from the office today, so started in on the Walnut and the Cherry...

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #164 of 229
She liked Maple...my impressions to follow....

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #165 of 229
First, I'd like to thank everybody who put this great little tour together.  Also, I'd like to thank everyone to being so understanding and patient with me having a 1 month ban from head-fi which complicated things.  

I used sr80 pink drivers with a standard Grado cable.  I was going to use a different cable, either cardas or a hybrid litz cable but decided against it.  It was to remove as many variables that could influence the sound. Sad part... one of my drivers died right after testing..... just my luck lol.

Source I used a Modi Dac > Kimber PBJ IC > Magni amp.  

Let's start off by saying I won't talk about aesthetics of the cups as they really aren't "finished" cups so I'll just concentrate on the sound.  Let's begin shall we.

Walnut

I really liked the cohesiveness of these cups.  There was great transparency throughout the spectrum.  Something I loved about it is that it added some "bite" and "grit" to the sound.  It wasn't smooth or mellow but in your face.  

Lows:  It went extended a little deeper than the others and had a good presence and feel to the lows.  It was definitely a full body sound at the lows. 
Mids:  I think the Mids were the highlight as they seemed the most spot on.  It was engaging, super transparent and clear.  By far the best with the vocals.
Highs:  I absolutely adored the highs.  I'm pretty much a treble head if anything so some might not like it.   It definitely had a brighter treble than I was expecting seeing how full bodied the lows were.

Maple

These were "coldest" of them all.  It has good clarity.  I think these had the best top end of all the cups.  

Lows: Not as full or heavy as the others but was quick in delivery and decay.  Probably not the best for bass heavy songs.
Mids:  Somewhat recessed and further back that the lows and highs.  Not the best for vocal heavy songs.
Highs:  The best of them all.  (remember I'm a treble head if anything)  It was amazing, great clarity, transparency, quick and sharp.  

Cherry

The most mid centric of them all.  This is the one if you want vocals.  It gave me goosebumps listening to some songs.  I didn't care about the bass, guitar or drums....the highlight was the artist and what he/she was saying.  

Lows:  Polite and not as prominent.  While it was tight there simply just wasn't enough of it.  It had quality but the quantity was lacking.
Mids:  Oh how I just drowned in a pool of warm syrup of these mids. It was captivating. Timbre was amazing, clarity was spot on.... vocals..... just wow. It was smooth and pulled you along where it wanted and you didn't fight it.  you were happy to follow it to the ends of the earth if thats where it led you.
Highs:  There was a spike somewhere but I didn't take the time to find out exactly somewhere but it was there.  Anyone who is sensitive to sibilant highs should stay away.  Very crisp and clear but sometimes it extended to far somewhere.  

Birch

I'm not going to write about these and I didn't like them at all.  Not trying to be rude or mean; but I didn't like it.  

Summary

Want the all arounder?  Get the Walnut
Want somewhat of a v-shape sig?  Get the Maple
Want some good ole mid-centric greatness?  Get the Cherry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back