The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 5, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #2,566 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read about Grado on Head-Fi they are like American cars, nice comfy ride when everythings works but crapy finish and bad reliability.

And from what I have read about society in National Enquirer, every person ever born is defective and has something seriously wrong with them..

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2,567 of 2,859
A question about the bass & treble of the HF2s.

I've owned & sold HF1 (Headfiled), 325i, 225, RS2 & RS1. All of them I found - to my ears - to be somewhat bass shy and also the highs were too harsh, especially the 325i. I've become very sensitive to bright headphones.

The RS1s improved greatly with C-Pads which added bass & tamed the shrill highs.

For those who have heard the HF2s and some of the headphones listed above, please comment on the bass & treble. Is there more bass than the RS1s and how does the treble compare?

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #2,569 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question about the bass & treble of the HF2s.

I've owned & sold HF1 (Headfiled), 325i, 225, RS2 & RS1. All of them I found - to my ears - to be somewhat bass shy and also the highs were too harsh, especially the 325i. I've become very sensitive to bright headphones.

The RS1s improved greatly with C-Pads which added bass & tamed the shrill highs.

For those who have heard the HF2s and some of the headphones listed above, please comment on the bass & treble. Is there more bass than the RS1s and how does the treble compare?

I have not owned RS-1s for a few years and 225s even longer but based purely on my memory I would say that bass on the HF-2s is much better than RS-1s with bowls and slightly better than RS-1s with flats. The bass is also better textured with the HF-2s w/ bowls. Bass on the HF-2s with flats is impressive in the short term but I find it a bit more balanced with bowls.

Treble is, in my opinion, far better with the HF-2s that I remember the RS-1s ever being. Much smoother but still great detail and very good tone with guitars in that register.

As far as midrange is concerned I like both RS-1s and HF-2s but the HF-2 is more neutral without that upper midrange spike the RS-1s alway seemed to have.

Obviously this is all just my opinion but I can say I am very happy with my HF-2s.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #2,570 of 2,859
all this happiness makes the wait so much harder for me and I just want to hear this super Grado sound
frown.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #2,571 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headband is off centre by about 3mm, which is normal and the rest of it looks ok without nitpicking.
But really, what can one say, it's tragic...

032.jpg

I think Todd's selling fake HF2's on TTVJ. Come on now... "F1"? Obviously a fake.
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #2,574 of 2,859
Very, very sad. And embarrassing.

Grado should be ashamed. And while I'm sure that Todd is also appalled, and is presently hanging his head down with a deep sigh, he is also culpable. He was an integral part of the HF2 debut. He orchestrated the pre-CanJam hype (no pics???), and perpetuated it all the way up to the actual day. I have deja vu from 2006 and the GS1000's.

All of this underscores some things we've know for years:
1. Never buy a car the first year the new model comes out.
2. A movie that does not get released to critics before opening night is most assuredly a bomb.

Not to be nationalistic or anything, but it used to be that "Made in America" meant the highest quality available. It meant getting what you paid for. Now it means sucking it up if you want to buy local, and pay a premium for it. I'd love to support our local economy, especially in these trying times. But this blemish makes it increasingly difficult to support small American companies.

Todd's only response will undoubtedly be the excellent after-sale service he always provides. But this does put the responsibility of return shipping back on the buyer, which is pure crap for a quality-control issue as blatant as this.

In the end, we all will suffer because Grado's ultimate response will probably be to not do these special models again, as this will be a big loss to rectify the situation.

Yes, it is indeed a sad time for American manufacturing.

I sincerely hope everyone who has ordered a pair gets whatever resolution that satisfies them. Whether that means enjoying them as-is, getting a replacement, or getting a satisfactory refund.

/end of rant

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #2,575 of 2,859
Man, I hope this doesn't cause any further delays on my PS-I000s. I have been waiting on those forever!

normal_smile .gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #2,577 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very, very sad. And embarrassing.

Grado should be ashamed. And while I'm sure that Todd is also appalled, and is presently hanging his head down with a deep sigh, he is also culpable. He was an integral part of the HF2 debut. He orchestrated the pre-CanJam hype, and perpetuated it all the way up to the actual day. I have deja vu from 2006 and the GS1000's.

Sometimes I wonder where you come up with some of the stuff you post. So you are saying that because Todd had an integral part in the HF2 debut, so he is culpable for Grado's manufacturing mistake. The term "culpable" means: deserving blame or censure; blameworthy. Do you really believe, based upon the information you have right now, that Todd is deserving of blame? Maybe, in the end, we will discover that Todd was involved in the manufacturing, or knew about the mistake and sent them out anyway. However, until them, I don't believe you are being fair to Todd.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #2,578 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But this does put the responsibility of return shipping back on the buyer...

Why? It's not the buyer's fault the product is not as described.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #2,579 of 2,859
I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that Head-Fi has a clear policy about the use of profanity, implied or otherwise. I've pruned a few posts for now, let's hope it ends there. I understand that people are upset, but nothing about Todd or Grado makes me think that this situation won't get resolved in an acceptable way.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #2,580 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I wonder where you come up with some of the stuff you post. So you are saying that because Todd had an integral part in the HF2 debut, so he is culpable for Grado's manufacturing mistake. The term "culpable" means: deserving blame or censure; blameworthy. Do you really believe, based upon the information you have right now, that Todd is deserving of blame? Maybe, in the end, we will discover that Todd was involved in the manufacturing, or knew about the mistake and sent them out anyway. However, until them, I don't believe you are being fair to Todd.

x2...I think a little perspective is in order before we make this into some kind of metaphor for American manufacturing.
rolleyes.gif

1) Mistakes are made, and made regularly, because those involved in producing ANY finished product are human. Sometimes people can look right at something and not see it.

2) Mistakes are made more frequently when there is pressure to produce something quickly. I work in software development, and it's almost always the late changes made under deadline pressure that end up biting you in the backside. I suspect that the same is true here.

Bottom line: it's a goof...a BIG goof, but it's not unrecoverable. It's my expectation that, somehow, this will all be made right. I'm sure that there will be a few that will never be satisfied, as that is the way it goes in cirucmstances like this, but that will likely not be for lack of reasonable effort. I'm in line for a pair of these, and I have every confidence that I'll get one that is labelled to my satisfaction. I'm just as confident that all this will work out in the end.

So...let's all take a deep breath and relax.

BTW - As distasteful as I found Jimmy's rant in general, I agree with Mike that the piece directed at Todd was particularly distasteful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back