The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2,026 of 2,859
I'm pretty sure everyone who picked up their hf2s either ordered in the first 20, or was a canjam organizer. There might be one or two exceptions, but it's not like anyone got jobbed. It's tough waiting, but the wait will be worth it, and Todd and John won't be making them worse.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #2,027 of 2,859
Todd told me at 830am on the 15th before this post by atleast an hour that he had already 40 orders, so maybe. I just hope mine is good so when it finally get's here I don't have any qc isssues
biggrin.gif
like with my HF-1

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #2,029 of 2,859
well waiting for me would not have been much of an issue, I will concur with Grawk that these may be my favorite Grados to date (sans the PS1). They have TONE out the wazoo I was up late last night spinning record after record with these strapped firmly to my head.

I would take them over the RS1/325i/225 and the HF1 (although woodied they are awesome and may be a dead heat. I would take the PS1 over these but they were three times the price when new. I would like to spend some quality time with the PS1000 some day.

Oh and Kudos to Todd and John Grado for pulling this off, it is a butload of work for both guys on slimmer margins than the regular line (my guess) and a donation to headfi to boot.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #2,030 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then cancel your order. Just don't go whining in another thread months from now, talking about regretting not getting them when you could.

You go Boo mamma!

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #2,031 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, all I really wanted was a little sympathy/empathy. I guess it's good to know that in addition to the many good people here on head-fi there are also a bunch of condescending ********.

Voltron (not including you in the above ******** comment), I'm kicking myself for not doing just that. For some reason I assumed that we would be charged immediately for the headphones. "Custom" made limited editions typically require either a down payment or the entire price upfront, and I assumed that TTVJ woudn't want 100+ preorders for phones, have those phones go into production, and then have a mass canceling of orders if the cans started to get bad reviews, etc. It just didn't occur to me to look and see when the cards would be charged. Live and learn.

I hope I'm not one of THOSE ********. I just want to be a unique *******. That's my goal in life and I need your affirmation. Please confirm.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #2,032 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tone on the RS1s is very appealing when it's the right music for it, but I firmly believe that it does it at the expense of accurately reproducing how instruments really sound. That's an unforgivable flaw in my book. I'd own a set again if the circumstances worked out, but they'd be for VERY specific things. Most headphones have obvious flaws, it's the nature of the hobby. I forgive a lot for accurate tone, and for inaccurate tone I can't get past a lot of other wonderful attributes.

There's a reason why I've been through the insane quantity of gear I've been through, and why some things have stayed with me when so many others haven't.

I'm curious about what qualities of the HHF-1 are better than the RS-1, other than tonality. Resolution? Imaging? Soundstage? Bass and treble extension? PRaT? Refinement? Decay?

I can't help but notice that the qualities I've listed are fairly measurable and objectively quantifiable. But what quality is it that is used to distinguish the HHF-1 as superior? Tonality. Probably one of the harder to quantify and least measurable aspects of sound quality, IMO.

Now, one could argue that it's the very difficulty in relating proper tonality that makes it so important and difficult to achieve as a characteristic. But it doesn't escape attention that, from a rhetorical perspective, that same hard-to-capture characteristic is a convenient aspect of sound quality to hang an argument on.

Maybe there's a correlation between the fact that the RS-1 costs 3.5X the cost of a HF-1 and their relative sound quality?

Then again, we can always equivocate by wading into the argument as to whether putting 20 inch rims and a body kit on a civic makes it the same as a Ferrari, which is what I think a lot of these mods as applied to the HF-1 end up doing.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #2,033 of 2,859
UglyJoe,

Everyone sympathizes with having to wait, especially since you've sold your headphones to pay for these. We've all been there, and most members posting in this thread are in the same boat. If you look back through this thread, we've all been giving you helpful suggestions and empathy. I even offered to send you some earbuds when you said you had no headphones at all, if you remember. This, however, is some of what you have been posting for fifteen days:

Quote:

Every time I open up the comp I am hoping to see that email....

argh, the wait sucks.

Quote:

So lonely with only KSC75s to keep me company...

Quote:

Ugh... Bad news on double counts for me. Delays and smaller batches probably means I'm going to have to wait a good while...blah blah blah

Really second-guessing myself for selling off my other headphones to pay for this at this point. A month plus with only KSC75s to listen to might literally kill me... These cans better be worth it, and I'll be pissed off if mid June turns into mid July or later...

Quote:

I'm probably in the fourth batch... that puts me at a five to six week wait? blah blah etc.

Ugh, considering canceling my order and buying another can...

EDIT: blah blah blah...Six or seven more weeks with no headphones but the KSC75s don't seem like its worth the wait. Time to see if their are any good deals in the for sale forums!

Quote:

Bored.. soooo, anyone in the first batch that didn't pay via paypal have their card charged yet? Anyone...? Must live vicariously through this thread more.

Quote:

Devastating news for me. I placed my order on the 31st, which puts me at the 175ish mark on the roll call thread. You are #69, I believe. If you are in the 4th batch then that puts me in at least the 6th, maybe the 7th, and likely in the 8th batch to go out. blah blah etc.

blah blah and on... with future delay possibilities we might be talking 10-12 weeks. This is simply unacceptable to me. etc. etc.

I can't go that long without real headphones. Time for plan B.
.. just have to figure out what Plan B is going to be...

Quote:

Right now all I have are Koss KSC75s. I'm really depressed. more whining.

It's devastating news because I REALLY want these headphones and don't want to get kicked off the list... but seriously, if any of you could stand listening to KSC75s only for 3.5 months (my other stuff has been sold and gone since the first week of June), then you really aren't much of a headphone or audio enthusiast.

Quote:

Given Grado's reputation for QC I'm not sure the delay is going to do that much to "get it right". Actually I'm more paranoid of the other direction happening. See the recent thread on another members PS1000s showing up with multiple blemishes. Add to the fact that Grado is busy with an unexpected bump in their sales (where that comes from I can't figure out for the life of me) and they are working overtime to rush the HF-2s out... you do the math.

Quote:

I'll trade you! My KSC75 for your RS1
wink.gif

This part rankles too. Bad enough that a lot of people were told that when the purchased, worse that NONE are being shipped in mid-June. I could handle the first batch going out mid-June with me being delayed to mid-July. Mid-August to September is verging on irresponsible, IMO.

I'm also not entirely pleased with how the whole unveiling thing was handled. I think a lot of people decided to wait till CanJam to make a decision (like myself).

Quote:

Thanks guys, all I really wanted was a little sympathy/empathy. I guess it's good to know that in addition to the many good people here on head-fi there are also a bunch of condescending ********.

Not only are we poor audio enthusiasts for suggesting one can live with the KSC75s, now we're condescending ******** for suggesting that you might want to cancel your order and get other cans when you yourself have been telling us that. You've even asked about the W5000s.

It just sounds like you're too frustrated to hang in there, and rather than just spin, why not do something about it? You don't like waiting, you don't like the way the unveiling was orchestrated, you're paranoid (your word) that Grado's QC will fail you, and you're posting your complaints for us to see. What else to you expect us to say at this point? You sound too unhappy to be made happy.

Look, I've got nothing against you at all, and hope that you can live through this seeming ordeal and come out with a pair of headphones, if you choose to wait, that will make you happy for a very long time. I, and others, have been telling you it's worth the wait. If it's too hard for you (only you can determine that), get out of the deal, get some other excellent headphones, and enjoy your music. It's not that bad, and in fact, if you can hang in there, it's very very good.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #2,034 of 2,859
I'm only a recent convert to Head-Fi (6 months and many dollars counting), and as I read this thread and the many impatient and disparaging comments, I am left to surmise that patience as an idiosyncrasy is a vague and lost virtue. Yes, Grawk was one of the fortunate (and deserving head-fiers) to get an advance copy of these highly anticipated phones, and he has done his best to put perspective into this herculean wait. Again, to reiterate, from everything I have read, we will soon (yes soon) be receiving a phenomenal pair of Grados, that may just surpass or be on par with the flagship PS-1000s, and at a price point hard to beat. I am taking the available wait time to enjoy my first venture into orthodynamics at home and a soon to arrive pair of portable ATH-ESW10Japan's, and to reaquaint myself with my older line of cans - knowing that when I do receive the HF-2's, the wait will not only be worthwhile, but will later looked at as a small price to pay for such an exceptional pair of soon to be treasured headphones. Summer is here, sit back and enjoy the warmth, the music and good times. Be thankful you have such a familial and true group of audiophiles here on head-fi, there to turn to for help and support. Our HF-2s will be here before long.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #2,035 of 2,859
Quote:

good grief, you're a whiner. People who act first get served first.

The delay was unexpected, but not untennable. Better to delay and get things right than to rush and have things not right. If you can't wait an extra few weeks for your custom produced, limited edition headphones, buy something off the shelf.

I agree. This isn't the first release of amps, headphones, IEM's, or anything else that hasn't been delayed. If you didn't consider that possibility before ordering then you were a bit on the naive side at least in MHO

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #2,036 of 2,859
It's called bitching for a reason, boo. It just makes it that much worse when someone who already has the headphone in question, plus about 5 other models that I've lusted over for years and will probably never have a chance to own tells me stop worrying about it and be patient, delayed gratification will make me happier, yadda, yadda, yadda. So sorry.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2,037 of 2,859
Quote:

Yes, I know most of those 40. They're all good people
smily_headphones1.gif

I knew you secretly liked me grawk!
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2,038 of 2,859
Quote:

I guess it's good to know that in addition to the many good people here on head-fi there are also a bunch of condescending ********.

Voltron (not including you in the above ******** comment),

Hey these are some of my best friends and heck if Vicki and Dan are ******** so is Al and most definitely me for that matter.
beerchug.gif

So rather than tell you what you wanted to hear they told you the harder thing to say but the better solution and you called them ******** for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about what qualities of the HHF-1 are better than the RS-1, other than tonality. Resolution? Imaging? Soundstage? Bass and treble extension? PRaT? Refinement? Decay?

I can't help but notice that the qualities I've listed are fairly measurable and objectively quantifiable. But what quality is it that is used to distinguish the HHF-1 as superior? Tonality. Probably one of the harder to quantify and least measurable aspects of sound quality, IMO.

Now, one could argue that it's the very difficulty in relating proper tonality that makes it so important and difficult to achieve as a characteristic. But it doesn't escape attention that, from a rhetorical perspective, that same hard-to-capture characteristic is a convenient aspect of sound quality to hang an argument on.

Having owned the rs1s and the hhf1s yes the hhf1s were superior to the rs1 (original brown leather ones excluded) Oh they were equals in extension, soundstage and imaging you are kidding these are Grados never the lines strong suit going back to the days of Joe. Tone is not such a difficult thing to listen for tone helps you identify instruments and in the case of rock amps better, better tones lets me know its a P-bass and an ampeg svt rather than a jazz bass and an acoustic amp on a rock recording. Also other than extension the other attributes are pretty much just as subjective as tone.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #2,039 of 2,859
I wouldn't want to live with ksc-75's for 3 months. Highs are too harsh. ksc-35's I could do though. ^^

Biggie.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #2,040 of 2,859
I JUST found out about these. I missed the HF1s because I don't check in often enough.

I went right to TTVJ's web site and ordered them.

I have never owned Grado phones, but I sure love the phono cartridges. I like my Decca cartridges more, but the cost difference is really so much it makes the Deccas seem over priced. I have Decca Gold, Decca Plum, and some more. I have several Grado's, all on Keith Monks arms, on a Lynn Sondek LP-12. I hope I am not disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back