The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 23, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #2,011 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had SR125s and HD650s. I sold both to pay for the HF-2s. Right now all I have are Koss KSC75s. I'm really depressed. It's easy to say you'd think it be easy to wait for a limited edition headphone for a couple of months when you have 4 other nice headphones to listen to at your whim... I don't have that luxury. Right now my amp and DAC are sitting around collecting dust. Relegated to listening to the 75s straight out of my Ipod... the only thing I can really stand to listen to right now are podcasts.

It's devastating news because I REALLY want these headphones and don't want to get kicked off the list... but seriously, if any of you could stand listening to KSC75s only for 3.5 months (my other stuff has been sold and gone since the first week of June), then you really aren't much of a headphone or audio enthusiast.

I was going to bring this point up myself about the time line for receiving the HF-2. I was holding off on ordering because of wanting to wait for reviews comparing the RS-1 and HF-2. As a result, I'd be at the back of the list.

I wasn't bothered by the idea of the wait, but when I started to actually calculate when I would be able to expect to get the headphones, I realized I was likely going to be looking at September.

Like yourself, I'm going to be using the HF-2's as my primary headphone after having to sell off my rig a while back to cover some unexpected expenses. I'm a student and I can't afford to have multiple expensive rigs.

I'm probably not going to change my plans, but it does suck about the timing. I am going to try to assemble the rest of my system gradually so that the HF-2 can basically be dropped in as the last piece. I may end up buying a lesser headphone to try to fill in the gap or I may end up looking at a canalphone for my portable setup.

If I didn't think it would be worth it, there's no way I would be waiting. I owned the HF-1, and I'm starting to believe the HF-2 is a similar value, and for someone who can't afford the most exotic stuff, I need to seize on opportunities like this.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #2,012 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to bring this point up myself about the time line for receiving the HF-2. I was holding off on ordering because of wanting to wait for reviews comparing the RS-1 and HF-2. As a result, I'd be at the back of the list.

I wasn't bothered by the idea of the wait, but when I started to actually calculate when I would be able to expect to get the headphones, I realized I was likely going to be looking at September.

Like yourself, I'm going to be using the HF-2's as my primary headphone after having to sell off my rig a while back to cover some unexpected expenses. I'm a student and I can't afford to have multiple expensive rigs.

I'm probably not going to change my plans, but it does suck about the timing. I am going to try to assemble the rest of my system gradually so that the HF-2 can basically be dropped in as the last piece. I may end up buying a lesser headphone to try to fill in the gap or I may end up looking at a canalphone for my portable setup.

If I didn't think it would be worth it, there's no way I would be waiting. I owned the HF-1, and I'm starting to believe the HF-2 is a similar value, and for someone who can't afford the most exotic stuff, I need to seize on opportunities like this.

Now I understand. Sorry about all the questioning and jokes.
redface.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #2,013 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that is true at all. The ksc-75 is actually a good phone. On top of that, this hobby is about a way to experience music on a deeper level. You shouldn't be in love with the quality itself, but the music with the quality as a way to enjoy it more. There is a quote in someone's signature that I really like that says something like "it's all about the music. if you ever forget that, start over". I could be happy with ksc-75s forever as long as I had all of the music I wanted.

I'll trade you! My KSC75 for your RS1
wink.gif
Seriously, I'll send them back when the HF-2 gets here.... didn't think so.

Quote:

That said, I am a little unhappy with how this wait situation is going. I understand problems with production and the such, and I am willing to wait for a quality product, but I also think that if you receive an email saying mid june for shipping, you shouldn't have to wait until August.

This part rankles too. Bad enough that a lot of people were told that when the purchased, worse that NONE are being shipped in mid-June. I could handle the first batch going out mid-June with me being delayed to mid-July. Mid-August to September is verging on irresponsible, IMO.

I'm also not entirely pleased with how the whole unveiling thing was handled. I think a lot of people decided to wait till CanJam to make a decision (like myself). At the time all we really knew was $429 and HF-2. It annoys me somewhat that the cans were around for a month prior to that. Just knowing the materials used was enough to push me over the edge, but by the time we actually confirmed the construction there were already 300+ in line, apparently. Even then we were still being told to expect shipment in mid-June. I should have checked more intently into the way that ttvj was going to charge for the phones... if so I would have ordered when they were announced. Still, I feel icky when I buy something without having the money to pay for it, even though I knew I'd be able to make up for most of my costs selling off my gear.

I guess I'm hating myself as much as the situation. It would have been much easier to place the order and hold on to my stuff till now. A couple of weeks without good equipment is considerably better than 12-15.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could stand to listen to ipod earbuds or to nothing at all for 3.5 months or longer. Life is good. There's lots to do. Developing some muscles around delayed gratification is also one of the keys to real-life happiness. That skill alone will bring you far more joy than any pair of headphones will. Ever.

Coming from someone who owns HF-2s, HD800s, Sony R10s, Stax omega 2s, and multiple other headphones and IEMs, not to mention thousands of dollars of other audio equipment. Sorry if I don't think you can relate.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #2,014 of 2,859
good grief, you're a whiner. People who act first get served first.

The delay was unexpected, but not untennable. Better to delay and get things right than to rush and have things not right. If you can't wait an extra few weeks for your custom produced, limited edition headphones, buy something off the shelf.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #2,015 of 2,859
Quote:

I had SR125s and HD650s. I sold both to pay for the HF-2s. Right now all I have are Koss KSC75s. I'm really depressed. It's easy to say you'd think it be easy to wait for a limited edition headphone for a couple of months when you have 4 other nice headphones to listen to at your whim... I don't have that luxury. Right now my amp and DAC are sitting around collecting dust. Relegated to listening to the 75s straight out of my Ipod... the only thing I can really stand to listen to right now are podcasts.

It's devastating news because I REALLY want these headphones and don't want to get kicked off the list... but seriously, if any of you could stand listening to KSC75s only for 3.5 months (my other stuff has been sold and gone since the first week of June), then you really aren't much of a headphone or audio enthusiast.

rolleyes.gif
funny that my ksc75's get plenty of head time even though i own better headphones.
regular_smile .gif

plug them into your amp and enjoy.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #2,016 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good grief, you're a whiner. People who act first get served first.

The delay was unexpected, but not untennable. Better to delay and get things right than to rush and have things not right. If you can't wait an extra few weeks for your custom produced, limited edition headphones, buy something off the shelf.

Given Grado's reputation for QC I'm not sure the delay is going to do that much to "get it right". Actually I'm more paranoid of the other direction happening. See the recent thread on another members PS1000s showing up with multiple blemishes. Add to the fact that Grado is busy with an unexpected bump in their sales (where that comes from I can't figure out for the life of me) and they are working overtime to rush the HF-2s out... you do the math.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2,018 of 2,859
My math says don't freak out before you get the results, and if you don't like them, return it. If $429 is that big a stretch tho, maybe they're not the right choice?

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #2,019 of 2,859
Quote:

Given Grado's reputation for QC I'm not sure the delay is going to do that much to "get it right". Actually I'm more paranoid of the other direction happening. See the recent thread on another members PS1000s showing up with multiple blemishes. Add to the fact that Grado is busy with an unexpected bump in their sales (where that comes from I can't figure out for the life of me) and they are working overtime to rush the HF-2s out... you do the math.

I'm sorry, but why did you sell your other headphones immediately when these are brand new cans that you don't have to pay for until they ship? Buy a used pair of something and then sell it when you know you will be getting the HF-2s or just cancel as boomana suggested.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #2,020 of 2,859
Thanks guys, all I really wanted was a little sympathy/empathy. I guess it's good to know that in addition to the many good people here on head-fi there are also a bunch of condescending ********.

Voltron (not including you in the above ******** comment), I'm kicking myself for not doing just that. For some reason I assumed that we would be charged immediately for the headphones. "Custom" made limited editions typically require either a down payment or the entire price upfront, and I assumed that TTVJ woudn't want 100+ preorders for phones, have those phones go into production, and then have a mass canceling of orders if the cans started to get bad reviews, etc. It just didn't occur to me to look and see when the cards would be charged. Live and learn.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #2,022 of 2,859
I'm sure as hell not intentionally disparaging them. I don't blame them for the headphones shipping late, at least not mostly. They are doing a hell of a service for us, and everything I've read - from yourself included - leads me to believe that they are offering a wonderful headphone at a fantastic price compared to other headphones that will be in it's league. Remember, I made fun of Les for his ridiculous fascination on cut down SR-325 cups and blurry lettering. My 125 was my first phone that I listened to daily for 2 years. I'd be willing to bet that Todd is making next to nothing for this headphone, maybe nothing at all, considering he's not allowing any discounts on the phones. I think they are great! I think the circumstances SUCK and I abhor the idea of 3 months without a full sized can to listen to, unless I want to go through the hassle of buying and selling something over a two, two and a half month period.

I don't think the unveiling was handled all that well, and I don't think that Grado-labs were really prepared for this headphone release now, what with shipping of the PS-1000 and the lineup revamp all happening recently. I don't think any of this was intentional, and in general I love both Grado phones and the fact that John and Todd are doing this for us. Let me bitch a little about not getting headphones that I'm ridiculously excited about that I thought I was getting in late June and that I now know aren't shipping until late August or September.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #2,023 of 2,859
Ok, well, I understand that. That's not how it came across. It is tough to wait for new gear. But really, take solace in the fact that KSC75s are darn good little headphones, and once you've owned the HF2s for a couple of weeks, you won't remember how long you were without them.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #2,024 of 2,859
Dear Pot,

Quote:

Thanks guys, all I really wanted was a little sympathy/empathy. I guess it's good to know that in addition to the many good people here on head-fi there are also a bunch of condescending ********.

Meet Kettle. Cheers!

Quote:

but seriously, if any of you could stand listening to KSC75s only for 3.5 months (my other stuff has been sold and gone since the first week of June), then you really aren't much of a headphone or audio enthusiast.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #2,025 of 2,859
Hopefully they are not realizing the initial HF-2s were too good since you like them over PS1000s, so he had to redo the driver to cover his losses. That is worse case scenario and I PRAY it isn't the case, because some ordered sooner but since they did not attend CanJam they were SOL.

I will be patient, but I ordered the first day, called before this thread was created but was told he would charge immediately, so I waited a few hours, now I wish I would have sent my Grandfather to CanJam just to pick up a pair. Oh well...

Just making me less patient in buying some Denons, I will probably have 1 or 2 other cans by the time my birthday comes around and I will be happy if I get mine by my Birthday on July 24th since I ordered the first day. Heres to hoping it is sooner.

Some people are more upset I think because it may be their first Grado as I saw alot of posts like that, and they are sad that this may be the best can they have ever heard or have the opportunity to buy.

John is a standup guy and Todd was awesome to talk to so I think in the end everyone will be very happy, and stuff happens, maybe the engraving company went belly up and it delayed production, or the place that does the PS1000 metal cases does the HF-2s as well and they are over whelmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back