The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #226 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to have to sit this one out. I appreciate all that are ordering and supporting this community. I also got hit by a layoff.

Funny how the economy has slammed into the ground and now there are all these great and pricey phones coming out. Bad timing, but that doesn't stop headfiers
icon10.gif
- you are all troopers.

I would love to know more about this though. Especially if it's GS/PS-1000 shaped.

When mine come, we can set up some time for you to audition
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm in the Mountain View/Sunnyvale/San Jose area and I'd be glad to let you have a listen (or ten!).

May 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #227 of 2,859
Anybody think they priced it in the $400 range to undercut the HF1 market? Sure we are getting a better product (yes, I ordered one), but even with the limited status how much more can they appreciate unless they are better than the RS1i's?

May 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #228 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody think they priced it in the $400 range to undercut the HF1 market? Sure we are getting a better product (yes, I ordered one), but even with the limited status how much more can they appreciate unless they are better than the RS1i's?

things don't appreciate in value only because they are "better" than certain products...value for limited production items rests mostly on their scarcity, often independent of their quality. i do not know whether the hf2 will appreciate and if so, by how much. but, i don't think it will have anything to do with the rs1...rather, how many will be available.

May 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #229 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Billybob, Just noticed in the roll call thread you have ordered a pair, A full 15 minutes after the above quote. That's some will power you have got
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Im pathetic, I know.
biggrin.gif

They just proved to tempting!! Can't wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #230 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting thought, but I highly doubt it. I think its mainly because the HF1's were so well received that they decided to do it again, for fun. There's really no advantage or reason in undercutting the HF1 market (which is tiny), especially by creating the same thing with the HF2's. If they wanted to kill the HF1 market, the obvious move would be to release something similar to the HF1 as a full production model.

May 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #231 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
things don't appreciate in value only because they are "better" than certain products...value for limited production items rests mostly on their scarcity, often independent of their quality. i do not know whether the hf2 will appreciate and if so, by how much. but, i don't think it will have anything to do with the rs1...rather, how many will be available.

That is probably true for collectibles that people don't use. But people are buying these to use (mostly). That is why I don't think the HF1s go for more than $400 something since they are approaching the price of the RS1s used.
But maybe there are people that collect the headphones for the sake of it, but to me, people bought the HF1s since they were limited and had good sound.

May 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #232 of 2,859
Well, lets keep speculating
biggrin.gif
:

So the HF-1 was claimed by ones to be better than sr225, nor as good as rs2, others on pair with the sr325i, and some worst than sr325i.
On the OPs post he says they are an improvement over the HF-1, and Todd's words say it is like a "baby PS1000".

So if it is an improvement over the HF-1 we could say that they might be at the level of the rs2 (their price is quite similar to this rs2). I would prefer if they would reach the level of the RS1(i), for that we will have to wait for comparisons. Then for Todd's comment we could assume they are a hybrid can. (Metal-wood, plastic-wood, metal-plastic, ...)

Also as their price is set higher than statement series they might come with a leather headband, not the vinyl type (which I hope it is that way, more comfort at least).
The cables remain a mystery, but it would be "normal" for them to include the new type of grado cable (heavier 4-wire type). I am happy with the "vintage cable", and sometimes even find it a bit heavy/annoying.

For pads it might either be bowls or GS1000(i) pads. The latter might be a curious combination.

Well, what do you guys think about my ideas, and most important, what does Todd think about what i said?
smily_headphones1.gif

Keep the expectation and speculation, that is what they are looking for. Maybe even Mr. John Grado himself is reading this thread!

May 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #233 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by rush340 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thought, but I highly doubt it. I think its mainly because the HF1's were so well received that they decided to do it again, for fun. There's really no advantage or reason in undercutting the HF1 market (which is tiny), especially by creating the same thing with the HF2's. If they wanted to kill the HF1 market, the obvious move would be to release something similar to the HF1 as a full production model.

Or maybe at least they learned how much Headfiers were willing to pay for something (similar to me to how they found the pricing for the PS1000s).

May 16, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #237 of 2,859
I for one have ordered them, --probably one of the first orders Todd received since I placed it on Friday earlier than 10am GMT,-- just to get that "good" Grado sound I'm getting from my PS-1 and HP-2 at a more affordable price point. I never listened to the HF-1, but I have very good references of their sound. Moreover the HF-1 are considered something between the SR-325 and RS-1, so I expect the HF-2 to be something similar to that, at a way more sensible price than the RS-1 have here (about 700 euros). They might become my non-isolating portable phones to be driven directly from a DAP headphone out.
If they sound with better timbre, more fluid, less aggressive and more refined than the SR-225 I'd be quite happy.
I forgot to order a set of flat pads
mad.gif
. Fortunately I can use the ones on the HP-2 if they're not using superbowl pads or anything different. It'd be great to have some hints about their design, but if that is to remain undisclosed until Camjam, we'll have to wait
frown.gif

I don't think JG just wants to cut the second hand market on the HF-1. After all he sold them at a price point he considered fair in the first place, so whatever buyers did with their phones, is none of his business. However I can understand he, Jude, and other HF members feel kind of disappointed by people who just got them to earn a few bucks. Hopefully this time that's not the case. I think it's great that a HP maker wants to support this site. and does it by selling an interesting product giving some of his revenue to the site. No other HP maker has done that besides Grado, and maybe it's about time that Sennheiser, AKG, AT or Ultrasone did something similar. I bet they wouldn't be selling as much as they do if it weren't for Head-fi.

May 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #238 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I wonder what it will look like... I assume they arent showing pictures, but are taking orders, because they are in the cheaper SR plastic enclosure.

that's the conspiracy theorist view...but in actuality, they aren't showing pics b/c their official unveiling will occur at canjam, and grado/todd just want it to be a surprise. we're all just wondering whether this surprise will be good or bad
wink.gif

May 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #239 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodeefex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When mine come, we can set up some time for you to audition
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm in the Mountain View/Sunnyvale/San Jose area and I'd be glad to let you have a listen (or ten!).

i work in the Mountain View/Sunnyvale area. a mini-meet in that area for these cans would be great. i also have RS1 and MS1 that we could compare them to.

May 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #240 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's the conspiracy theorist view...but in actuality, they aren't showing pics b/c their official unveiling will occur at canjam, and grado/todd just want it to be a surprise. we're all just wondering whether this surprise will be good or bad
wink.gif

I wouldnt think of it as a "conspiracy theory" (heavy phrase for this topic lol) if they didnt start accepting money yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back