The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #241 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt think of it as a "conspiracy theory" (heavy phrase for this topic lol) if they didnt start accepting money yet.

maybe so...but todd is offering a 30-day money back guarantee, so accepting money isn't that big of a deal, imo.

May 17, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #243 of 2,859
OK, my meager predictions....At that price point, the HF-2's must have a leather band. I also believe they will have metal cups and be buttonless.

I think any theory of undercutting the HF-1 market is ridiculous. The HF-1's will continue to fetch the same prices they always have after this blows over (even if the HF-2's are better). The RS-2's and RS-1's are better than the HF-1's but that never stopped the $300 HF-1 sales. I think the higher price point of the HF-2 will also ensure the status quo remains.

As far as the reason that Grado did this, I think it's pretty clear that it's a strategic marketing move to maintain interest in Grado headphones here on the forums...and to support a forum that facilitates a fair amount of sales for Grado. The HF-1 was my gateway drug to the RS-1....and I'm sure the HF-2 will coax many to sample higher up the Grado line.

One thing that is intriguing is that I've always felt that the HF-1's had a very enjoyable full-bodied sound...even for folks who typically don't like Grados. My only complaint over time was that they just don't have the detail and instrument separation of the RS-1's (even when woodied). Here's to hoping that the HF-2 improves on that.

P.S.- I just love the Head-fi crowd...unabashedly early adopters and willing to fork out large sums of money for a product with no available pictures, specs, or thorough comparative reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #244 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S.- I just love the Head-fi crowd...unabashedly early adopters and willing to fork out large sums of money for a product with no available pictures, specs, or thorough comparative reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, i'm usually part of the early/late majority, but seeing this as a limited time/edition item, i couldn't resist. besides if it's anywhere between 225-RS2 or 325-RS1, you really can't go wrong. i love both my 325 and RS1's. they are both unique in their own way.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #245 of 2,859
That plus its probably going to be a good investment. Great way to make some money in a recession - make a limited run specialty item that nuts like us will be all over. Good for Grado, good for us
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #246 of 2,859
I ordered one. My bank account feels naked. Sorry wallet!

May 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #247 of 2,859
Amazing 'blind faith' for the Grado lovers and this will indeed be a long 2 week wait but at least it is not as long as the members sitting on the Senn HD 800 cans pre order queue. I just wonder how the heck Grado can pump out these limited ed. cans while they are unable to keep up with the demand of the PS1000's.

May 17, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #248 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing 'blind faith' for the Grado lovers and this will indeed be a long 2 week wait but at least it is not as long as the members sitting on the Senn HD 800 cans pre order queue. I just wonder how the heck Grado can pump out these limited ed. cans while they are unable to keep up with the demand of the PS1000's.

That's exactly what I am thinking- with their 17 employees...

May 17, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #249 of 2,859
Quote:

OK, my meager predictions....At that price point, the HF-2's must have a leather band. I also believe they will have metal cups and be buttonless.

i think they will look like that as well - what else could a "mini PS1000" be.

Quote:

As far as the reason that Grado did this, I think it's pretty clear that it's a strategic marketing move to maintain interest in Grado headphones here on the forums...and to support a forum that facilitates a fair amount of sales for Grado. The HF-1 was my gateway drug to the RS-1....and I'm sure the HF-2 will coax many to sample higher up the Grado line.

that's probably part of it.

May 17, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #250 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've come to appreciate Grados over the years - I doubt the HF-2 will be a bad product. I'm willing to pay $429 for one, especially considering the excellent value the HF-1 was.

Also, you don't know how long the HF-2 has been in the works. Jude apparently has had one for awhile and the announcement was planned. The HF-2 might also use a number of parts already stocked (and probably does) so production can go straight ahead.

Are you sure the PS-1000 isn't meeting production schedules? Sometimes delayed releases are used to build interest and perceived value for a product. It certainly doesn't look any more difficult to build than any other Grado.

Which leads to a thought I had. Maybe the PS-1000 demand is off, especially due to the economy. Luxury sales are down for everything, hard. If anticipated PS-1000 sales are off, there's a chance that Grado ordered too many drivers for it and is overstocked. If demand isn't there for the PS-1000, then why not put the extra drivers into a HF-2? Just speculation, but possible.

I think the "baby PS-1000" reference was to the sound, not necessarily the looks.

That's why I think the HF-2 will have a tweaked version of the GS-1000/PS-1000 driver in a unique cup, most likely with the large circumaural pads and a leather headband. A plastic/mahogany cup would be in line with the HF-1 and would not undercut the "prestige" of full mahogany or aluminum cups.

The HF-2 will probably have much the same flavor of the GS-1000 and PS-1000. If you want a more refined version of the HF-2, then there will be an obvious upgrade path.

Also, I wonder if the HF-2 might herald a new line of Grados, or maybe an extension of the RS line. The driver used in the GS-1000, PS-1000 and HF-2 (presumably) might be carried over into a less expensive plastic cup/vinyl band headphone similar, but not identical to, the HF-2. Perhaps this new Grado will also be unveiled at CanJam. We will see.

May 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #251 of 2,859
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Baaah....baaah....

sheep_off_cliff.jpg

smile_phones.gif

May 17, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #252 of 2,859
Definitely keeping an eye on this. Missed out on the HF-1s the first time around, not about to do that again with the HF-2s. And this coming right after I just got a pair of MS-2is, wallet is definitely hating me right now.

May 17, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #253 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I wonder if the HF-2 might herald a new line of Grados, or maybe an extension of the RS line. The driver used in the GS-1000, PS-1000 and HF-2 (presumably) might be carried over into a less expensive plastic cup/vinyl band headphone similar, but not identical to, the HF-2. Perhaps this new Grado will also be unveiled at CanJam. We will see.

I truly hope not. The idea of posts being necessary (even though 5 can be done in a minute, shoulda been 50 before the announcement of the thread. Anyway...

The truly hope not, was in regards to the fusion of great drivers in plastic. I enjoy my HF-1 because its great AND MOST OF ALL because only head-fi'ers get it. We are special and we have supported Grado hugely. This makes me feel great that he decided to make us a special "TOY" again for that support. Meaning we are the chosen few and as such we get things others cannot and dream of! (maybe by ebay but yeah)

Regardless, I like to think all of our time spent blindly investing on things we can't hear first but just on posts spending hundreds and thousands of dollars for Headphone Audiophile Bonanza truly makes us loyal. To be rewarded for that by a headphone company as AMAZING as Grado with their truly above and beyond sq is really cool and makes me feel special.

Grado's sound unlike any other headphone Ive heard. Most have different perks and qualities but when you put them on it's like wow THIS is a very obvious difference and not just "oo more detail, or bass" it truly sounds like speakers aimed at your ear canal. FANTASTIC!

I personally am unable to calm down in excitement for these and will write a thorough comparison between them and the HF-1 as soon as they arrive
gs1000.gif

THANK YOU JOHN GRADO AND TODD you rock!

May 17, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #255 of 2,859
With this being a Green/Grado production, we should be able to fall asleep longer counting to 1 million while waiting for the HD800.

At least with the HF-2, there will definitely be a "postman" knock on the door upon waking up from this pleasant dream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back