The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 6, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #2,686 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So here's the deal: a mistake was made. Should it have been avoided? Yup. Will we ever know why it wasn't? Nope. It really doesn't matter much as far as I can tell. What does matter very much is the solution that I believe Todd and Grado will find and offer. Before more verbal sticks and stones get tossed around, why not wait and see if an acceptable option will be made available for those who are unhappy with their purchase?

My favorite post of this thread.

As the young people say, word!
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #2,687 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So here's the deal: a mistake was made. Should it have been avoided? Yup. Will we ever know why it wasn't? Nope. It really doesn't matter much as far as I can tell. What does matter very much is the solution that I believe Todd and Grado will find and offer. Before more verbal sticks and stones get tossed around, why not wait and see if an acceptable option will be made available for those who are unhappy with their purchase?

Bingo. I hope that nothing I've said is taken as maligning Grado. I have full faith that this issue will be fixed. But part of the territory when offering a headphone exclusive to a forum-based community who on a daily basis rip and praise headphones of various makes and models is the likelyhood of that headphone being scrutinized, especially when that headphone is shipped with what should be an easily spotted and avoided error or errors.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #2,688 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tomb, I just have to disagree with you here. I like you a lot, but your dead wrong (well, except about the spurious accusation that JG and Todd shipped these F1 cans knowingly and without letting their customers know - I can't imagine that they would do that, and accusing them of it is... just... wrong... can't think of a strong enough way to put that). Everyone is under the assumption that Grado is doing us a "favor" with this can. And to some extent, they are. I think it's a great concept, and I love that the JG has designed a can that is both a Grado yet a departure from their normal lineup (according to all the impressions I've read). But the people who ordered these PAYED FOR THEM. This is a business/customer issue, not a "bite the hand that feeds you" issue. People paid for a product. They haven't gotten what they paid for. Mistake or not, it IS a QC issue. It doesn't mean the rest of the can hasn't been very meticulously built, but it certainly doesn't set a good precedent.

I like you too, Joe - and most of your posts in the last several pages I agree with - in principle. The trouble is the damaging speculation that all of this causes without any real facts except the mistake itself.

Quote:

I think the real mistake Grado/Todd made here was the initially stating that they would be shipped in mid-June. I don't see why they would have had to have say 250 cans on hand before announcing the HF-2, but they bottled themselves into a timeframe that they simply couldn't meet by saying they'd be finished in mid June. A lot of buyers purchased the cans with that date in mind, and when you don't meet that date, there are going to be people unhappy with you for missing the date. This leads to a natural inclination to get the phone out there as fast as possible, and leads to issues like the ones that are happening now. Everyone here had the best intentions. Grado and Todd wanted to make a headphone that was exclusive, collectible, and sounded exceptional for it's pricepoint - and further they wanted to support head-fi with this product. Those of us who have ordered this headphone were willing to pay a substantial amount of money for a headphone that was exclusive, collectible, and sounds great (like a top tier can, according to many who have spent a lot of time with it) - and further support the community. The process hasn't gone off as well as it should have, and that is unfortunate. But getting to the very core of this is still the issue of an expensive product that has been paid for and received by many in a condition less than what they were told they were getting when they paid for that product.

I'm sorry, Joe, but this is pure conjecture and my overall point is that it's better left unsaid. What does it serve to conjecture about the "if's" and "how's" of a mistake that occurred? None of us know until we hear from Todd or Grado. The rest is just guesswork - but it's guesswork on on open forum about a couple of supportive vendors who are obviously not here to defend themselves. Further, it opens the discussion up to every Tom, Dick, and Harry-Lurker who want to chime in with some opinion about "Grado did this ..." or "Grado did that ...". I see no productive result from this. In fact, I disagree with a couple of recent posts that suggest to move on. The damage has already been done and is being done - endless speculation about a mfr's means and methods and how this or that might've happened when none of us really have a clue.

Quote:

I'm sure that Grado/Todd will make this right for people. When they do then we can all talk about how great their response to issues with a product is... and I totally expect it to be. But basically saying that moderators should censor people who have spent $400+ on a headphone because they don't want to offend the party who shipped a below-expected-quality product is wrong.

I disagree. $400 is a lot to spend on a headphone, no doubt. But it's totally wrong to post several pages of idle speculation and accusation with literally no facts except that the mistake has taken place. I'm sitting here reading this cringing at any other vendor who has the horrible misfortune to make a mistake on a holiday weekend and not be around to defend themselves. Imagine coming back on a Monday and seeing pages and pages of people trashing your company in public after what you thought was a good contribution to the community.

Quote:

EDIT: Now if the mods want to censor guineatroll then by all means, have at it.

I wouldn't single any particular individual out. Mods can delete all my posts as far as I care. The point is, there are some other very experienced individuals who've also used this as an excuse to bash Grado. Leave it to another thread or start one on your own. It doesn't belong here.

P.S. I posted early this morning and was going to leave it at that. It's just that when I saw someone actually accuse Grado of knowing about this mistake and then sending the phones out anyway (not you, Joe!) ... well, that's just over the line, period.
frown.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #2,689 of 2,859
tomb, conjecture is conjecture. I don't think that conjecture can be nearly as damning as facts. Right now there is fact that a product has been shipped at lower standard than it should have been. Hopefully (and I expect) the fact will be that the manufacturer/supplier did everything in their power to fix the issue for all parties involved in a timely and fiscally sufficient manner. I simply don't agree with you that conjecture about how the mistake happens is hurting Grado's reputation. The mistake is what is hurting Grado's reputation, and it being a holiday weekend doesn't really factor in, IMO. If Grado fixes this, as I expect they will, no one is going to go back to read the hectic posting over a weekend and take that to mean more than the fact of Grado fixing the issue.

But people with a bias who are stepping in to take potshots at Grado based not on what is happening now, but simply because they don't like Grado shouldn't be tolerated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. I posted early this morning and was going to leave it at that. It's just that when I saw someone actually accuse Grado of knowing about this mistake and then sending the phones out anyway (not you, Joe!) ... well, that's just over the line, period.
frown.gif

Completely agreed. For those of you who have said you don't know which is worse, missing the mistake or intentionally shipping them anyway, well, the first is a mistake and happens time to time and pinpoints places where your company can get better; the second is an explicit decision to basically try and pull the wool over your customer's eyes and sell a product that you know isn't of the quality the customer purchased. Anyone who runs a business, like tomb, knows the second passes from the issue of mistakes to an issue of ethics, and accusing Grado or any company of that without proof is akin to slander (or in this case libel), in my book.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #2,690 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got a chance to open the box up and take a look at my pair. I noticed I have these...smudges that will not come out. I am not sure what they are...I'm guessing machining marks? They are noticeable on both cups:
hf2.jpg

I'm not so sure these caps are engraved, it looks very much like a chemical etch. They use a template for chemical etching, and the smudging in this photo looks similar to some etching flaws I have seen in aerospace part identification. If you notice, the smudging is symetical between the lettering of Grado and HF2. This looks like it might have come from a template. Anyone know for sure the method used for this?

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #2,691 of 2,859
Bad time for Todd to take a weekend off! I fear this might be the last HF series Grado.

Those with the messed up HF-2s are not posting here anymore other than to put a pic or so. They are busy listening, why can't we just end it til monday/tuesday when Todd is back.

Has anyone listened to any complicated classical yet with a HF-2? Can you tell me how well they seperate several instruments at a time like the Beethoven Pastorale adante movement in Symphony 6? The one Darth Nut spoke of in his amazing O2 headstage post?

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2,692 of 2,859
igor_f, I'm going to ask you to remove your last post. I'm not accusing you of making it up, but we need an official, verifiable response from Grado, preferably through Todd as he is the sole distributor for these headphones. It's my understanding that passing on information second hand from a vendor in an unverifiable method is against the spirit of Head-Fi, if not part of the actual rules. Please remove it till we hear something official from Grado. Again, I'm not accusing you of lying, though I don't really see why anyone from the company would officially be answering emails on an off day, particularly a holiday weekend, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would edit that out of your post.

EDIT: I'd ask mafaldich to do the same thing. Please guys, this isn't the correct way to get official customer support information from Grado.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #2,694 of 2,859
Yes please don't be so brutal that the remaining orders get refunded and no more HF-2s. I want one!

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2,695 of 2,859
Igor_f, would you be willing to forward Grado's official email to me? You may respond in pm, and I'll provide you with my email address, which I do not list on this forum. If you are unwilling to do so, and due to concerns with severe grammar and punctuation errors (very unlike most official customer service responses to problems of this nature), as well as the fact that it is a holiday weekend, I'll assume the email response you've listed isn't actual, and I will remove your post.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #2,696 of 2,859
Does anyone know if the Formula 1 has a different sound signature than the very first batch due to the difference in weight distribution caused by engraving the "1" instead of the "I"?

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2,697 of 2,859
I'm going to TEMPORARILY close down this thread, pending some sort of official response from either Todd Green (TTVJ) or John Grado. I've seen too many things in the last few minutes that I'm just too uncomfortable with, and there's just no sense in beating the dead horse in lieu of some real information on all this.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #2,699 of 2,859
Oh, and I also deleted some of the posts I'm refering to above. If they're legit, they'll be restored later.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #2,700 of 2,859
I read some of the posts and i could not help but make a comment:

Look nobody's perfect and sometimes things don't go well. The scale of the problem is minor in my opinion and its not a sound problem. Just a printing error. not a sound problem

these are special cans made for members for this community. not available else where.

And thanks Todd, I am patiently waiting for my cans and head-f1 or head-fi - i will take mine gladly.

thanks for the work. i appreciate it

sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back