"The Girl who Conned the Ivy League"
Jan 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 6
Very cool story, thanks for the link. Makes me want to go watch Catch Me If You Can again.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 6
An interesting read, indeed. She seems rather strange, but I guess she would have to be to have done what she did. I think there are a lot of people who would like to recreate themselves but never do because of the ego, id, or whatever you want to call it.

In other words, unless someone is running from something that would actually jeopardize his/her life or freedom, it's pretty much impossible for most people to completely give up their own life (no matter what they don't like about it or want to escape from) because to do so one would need to give up oneself.

In her case, because she was so bright and curious, she was able to find ways to cope with that loss of self. Temporary interpersonal connections were all that she needed in the early years to sustain a sense of identity because at first she was having fun not being her old self. The ability to escape from her former life breathed new life into her spirit. She was able to compete on debate teams, pass some classes, do some dating, etc. Plus, she was getting a smirky ('boy am I ever so smart') kind of buzz out of the fact that she was able to pull it off. But of course that could only last for so long.

Eventually, the vacation from self has to end, and you have to face the fact that you are you. She definitely got to that point, where she wanted to be her former self again, and was actually relieved to finally admit who she was when she got arrested. The bottom line is that one cannot truly live an anonymous life; in the end, you can't escape yourself and your need to be you.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Very intriguing.

Hot damn, does WA ever cultivate some interesting people! Gotta love home.
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An interesting read, indeed. She seems rather strange, but I guess she would have to be to have done what she did. I think there are a lot of people who would like to recreate themselves but never do because of the ego, id, or whatever you want to call it.

In other words, unless someone is running from something that would actually jeopardize his/her life or freedom, it's pretty much impossible for most people to completely give up their own life (no matter what they don't like about it or want to escape from) because to do so one would need to give up oneself.

In her case, because she was so bright and curious, she was able to find ways to cope with that loss of self. Temporary interpersonal connections were all that she needed in the early years to sustain a sense of identity because at first she was having fun not being her old self. The ability to escape from her former life breathed new life into her spirit. She was able to compete on debate teams, pass some classes, do some dating, etc. Plus, she was getting a smirky ('boy am I ever so smart') kind of buzz out of the fact that she was able to pull it off. But of course that could only last for so long.

Eventually, the vacation from self has to end, and you have to face the fact that you are you. She definitely got to that point, where she wanted to be her former self again, and was actually relieved to finally admit who she was when she got arrested. The bottom line is that one cannot truly live an anonymous life; in the end, you can't escape yourself and your need to be you.

Well put. Very great read indeed, it's astonishing that she were able to carry out her deeds for as long as she did. I wonder if with today's technology if one could still carry out such a task.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 6
Very interesting story! Many thanks for the link!

Reminds me a little of an old classmate I had. After several drinks one night, he confessed to adopting the identity of a dead guy for a few years. He had gotten into financial trouble with lots of creditors after him, so he disappeared and became someone else. He said that he didn't run up any unpaid debts as the new person, but needed it to rent an apartment, get utilities and a phone, and so on.

When the statute of limitations ran and the bad stuff fell off his credit report, he went back to being himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back