The Gigaphone LL87's - A Grado SR60i mod
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 27
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
I love it! Nice job. I know next to nothing about steampunk, but from hat I do know you hit the nail on the head. Definitely post any other headphones you might mod like that on here. 

What source and amp do you run them out of? Does vinyl count as steampunk? If so, get a turntable if you don't already have one. The music sounds better, is more fun, and there is something very cool about it. I am sure you could find a vintage TT that looks like what you want, but getting to sound decent is another challenge. I guess you could mod a TT, though that sounds much harder than a headphone. Anyway, good luck and massive kudos.

I normally run music from my portable devices (iPod Touch and ZuneHD) and I believe that vinyl can definetely be steampunk...depending on the device that plays it.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
I normally run music from my portable devices (iPod Touch and ZuneHD) and I believe that vinyl can definetely be steampunk...depending on the device that plays it.

I have a pretty nice old AUTOMATIC JVC, and it doesn't look steampunk at all. I am sure you could find a turntable that works with the look, however. I play a lot of my music through my old Iriver H120, occasionally through my other players. The turntable is a spacial treat when I am in the mood. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 27
Hey, as bilavideo says 'Image is nothing - sound is everything' or words to that effect. If it works, do it - Stax are about as silly as a pair of 'earspeakers' could look on a human head, but devotees swear by them. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
I didn't make it. mackat did and posted it here 'round thanksgiving. the result was a 20 page long thread of purple and green.

And a timely reminder that the average age on Head-Fi is about 30 years less than the average age in 'serious' audio circles. Some see that as a positive - I guess the wheat will inevitably be sorted from the chaff.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
And a timely reminder that the average age on Head-Fi is about 30 years less than the average age in 'serious' audio circles. Some see that as a positive - I guess the wheat will inevitably be sorted from the chaff.

oh right...you weren't too happy with mackat.

Quote:
Some see that as a positive - I guess the wheat will inevitably be sorted from the chaff.

hey....I believe I am the youngest active poster as of now.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 27
Very incredible! When I think steampunk I tend to think more copper/brasswork, but you have shown me wrong. Astounding work!

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #26 of 27
I am planning to create a new pair of steam-punk headphones, modified Grado's. They will consist of 2 halves of a phonograph horn placed at both sides of the head (1 half per side), a bit ambitious but it will look amazing if done properly.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
I am planning to create a new pair of steam-punk headphones, modified Grado's. They will consist of 2 halves of a phonograph horn placed at both sides of the head (1 half per side), a bit ambitious but it will look amazing if done properly.

With a little planning and some hard work, you could do it, considering that you made these. That design sounds fantastic! I would love to see it. You might even consider placing the drivers open air in the beginning of the horns right next to your ear. That might sound very interesting, as in good. Check out the orthodynamic roundup thread and ask a question about driver placing and what that might sound like; the guys that hang out there know tons about it because they deconstruct and reconstruct headphones all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back