The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Jun 20, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #796 of 1,132
Quote:
So, I've been hearing a bit about oval pads and paper and such...
I'm just a bit afraid of modding since I've never done it before.

How do I take the ear pads off?

Also, the soundstage seems more closed in compared to my M50s -- does that improve with burn-in/oval pads?
I've heard a bit about the tissue paper mod, but I just want to make sure I'm getting everything these headphones have to offer.

Just strip the pads off pull them gently from the sides of the cup...is almost like taking a sock off. Do not be afraid of the mod, is like a good satisfied fast sex. BTW, if you get the oval pads ask for the foam dusk cover. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #797 of 1,132
Quote:

Just strip the pads off pull them gently from the sides of the cup...is almost like taking a sock off. Do not be afraid of the mod, is like a good satisfied fast sex. BTW, if you get the oval pads ask for the foam dusk cover. 

They put dust covers when they apply oval pads, so it is default process I guess.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #799 of 1,132
Maybe I'm just used to the coloring of the M50s, but they really do seem to space out the sound better than the German Maestros...
I'm listening to .flacs and .wavs through a Sansa clip, and they sounded fine with my M50s, but with the German Maestros, the sound felt like it was a bit closed in.

Will the oval pads fix this, or is this just not the headphone for me?
I was truly hoping for something better since the wiring on my M50s got messed up awhile back and I needed an L-shaped plug, not to mention the pads on my M50s are looking pretty rough.
I'd done my research for awhile and people generally put these over the M50s, so I figured that it'd be in my best interest to go for something better.
I guess I'm just afraid of saying "I screwed up."

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #800 of 1,132
Quote:
Maybe I'm just used to the coloring of the M50s, but they really do seem to space out the sound better than the German Maestros...
I'm listening to .flacs and .wavs through a Sansa clip, and they sounded fine with my M50s, but with the German Maestros, the sound felt like it was a bit closed in.

Will the oval pads fix this, or is this just not the headphone for me?
I was truly hoping for something better since the wiring on my M50s got messed up awhile back and I needed an L-shaped plug, not to mention the pads on my M50s are looking pretty rough.
I'd done my research for awhile and people generally put these over the M50s, so I figured that it'd be in my best interest to go for something better.
I guess I'm just afraid of saying "I screwed up."

In my opinion M50s are not studio monitors as they advertised. I found them rather bassy with unrealistic separation. Maybe our sound preferences are a bit different but I do like the sound signature of GMP. They are not dead flat but they are certainly one of the flattest ones around. Being not dead flat is nice if you can produce more quality than quantity which these phones success. I guess oval pads can help yes, but will it solve all your questions, it is up to your preferences mate.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #801 of 1,132
After reading a bit more, I've seen some other pads get suggested (Beyer DT 770, J$, GM Oval), so perhaps I could give one of those a shot.
Really, the lack of soundstage is my only issue with these -- I've found that they're quite detailed, but I really need some space.

If it doesn't work, well, I guess I could see what I could do with these headphones.
I thought I'd prefer a more flat sound, but I guess I might be meant to live my life in color (which sucks because I want to make music for a living).

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #802 of 1,132
Quote:
After reading a bit more, I've seen some other pads get suggested (Beyer DT 770, J$, GM Oval), so perhaps I could give one of those a shot.
Really, the lack of soundstage is my only issue with these -- I've found that they're quite detailed, but I really need some space.

If it doesn't work, well, I guess I could see what I could do with these headphones.
I thought I'd prefer a more flat sound, but I guess I might be meant to live my life in color (which sucks because I want to make music for a living).

Don't forget the Brainwavz HM-5 pads :) They're very comfortable and don't thin out the sound as much as the Beyer pads. They're also way cheaper than the J$ :)
Also note that anything deeper than the stock pads makes the sound somewhat brighter. That might be fine if you don't mind bright signature, but if you're easily disturbed by the slightest sibilance, you might want to try the paper mod or EQ your treble a little down.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #803 of 1,132
Any idea where I could find the HM5 pads?
I did a little searching, but the headphones were all I found.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #805 of 1,132
I gave it some more consideration, and I think I'd be better off just selling these and getting something else.
I don't think the neutral signature is for me, even if I do make orchestral.
Hearing the music the way it actually sounds seemed nice on paper, but I think I'm gonna roll with something that's warm, smooth, and has a really good soundstage.
Two things I'll miss about these are that the isolation is really on another level and the detail was crazy -- I noticed all kinds of tiny artifacts in my piano VST that really made it sound more realisitic.
Selling these will certainly be an experience because I've never done it before, but I may as well learn something new.

Any recommendations for anything from $150 to $300 that fits "closed, detailed, above average soundstage" that would actually be a step up from the M50s?
I just want something pleasurable to listen to, and that's what I thought I'd get with these from the reviews (even with .flacs and .wavs I just enjoy the signature of the M50s more, and I'd rather not have to spend any more on pads since I'm low on money as-is).

And, about the Brainwavz HM5...
Do they sound better than the GMP 8.35D with the HM5 pads, or am I better off just getting the HM5s?

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #806 of 1,132
Quote:
I gave it some more consideration, and I think I'd be better off just selling these and getting something else.
Hearing the music the way it actually sounds seemed nice on paper, but I think I'm gonna roll with something that's warm, smooth, and has a really good soundstage.
Two things I'll miss about these are that the isolation is really on another level and the detail was crazy -- I noticed all kinds of tiny artifacts in my piano VST that really made it sound more realisitic.
Selling these will certainly be an experience because I've never done it before, but I may as well learn something new.

Any recommendations for anything from $150 to $300 that fits "closed, detailed, above average soundstage" that would actually be a step up from the M50s?
I just want something pleasurable to listen to, and that's what I thought I'd get with these from the reviews (even with .flacs and .wavs I just enjoy the signature of the M50s more, and I'd rather not have to spend any more on pads since I'm low on money as-is).

Do they sound better than the GMP 8.35D with the HM5 pads, or am I better off just getting the HM5s?

I tried M50s, KNG 8000s, Shure 840s, and returned them all because they were inaccurate and some were also uncomfortable. Monitor headphones aren't about listening experience. Open ear headphones excel at that and I quite enjoy my AD700s, HD555s, and A40s but when I want to work on audio I plug in my 8.35Ds because they provide so much more detail while being truly neutral. btw, Oval pads, very comfortable.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #807 of 1,132
Quote:

What's your source, BTW? I find the GMs very responsive to everything you throw at them, so fun music from fun source sounds pretty darn fun. Then again, my idea of fun might be too boring for some tastes :)
Can't comment on the HM5. I think it'd be best if you could listen to them yourself. Or to Fischer Audio FA-003 which is more or less the same model. Personally I've listened to FA-003 Ti for about ten seconds. Heard nothing wrong but that's hardly enough for critical listening :)

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #808 of 1,132
Just my laptop and my Rockbox'd Sansa Clip + for my sources.
I keep hearing that they sound fine without amplification, and maybe it's just the pads that are killing the deal for me.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #809 of 1,132
So, a while back I was selling my gmp 8.35Ds. I still haven't sold them, but I did sell the hifiman HE-400s. The high pitched treble and the mids (or absence of the mids) got to me. 

Coming back the gmp 8.35Ds, I'm very pleasantly surprised. I don't think I'll ever sell these headphones, they are just so consistent in their performance. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #810 of 1,132
Quote:
So, a while back I was selling my gmp 8.35Ds. I still haven't sold them, but I did sell the hifiman HE-400s. The high pitched treble and the mids (or absence of the mids) got to me. 

Coming back the gmp 8.35Ds, I'm very pleasantly surprised. I don't think I'll ever sell these headphones, they are just so consistent in their performance. 

Hey, welcome back! 
beerchug.gif

I wonder if the 8.35s can be modded into sounding even better or are the driver's surrounding already acoustically perfect?
More specifically though, I wonder what do the ribbed tubes do (beside protecting the wire that goes between drivers, obviously). They open inside the cups so if I remove them there's bound to be some leakage, but what if I just plug the holes? Will it make the sound less open? Will it matter at all?

Yes, I'm still contemplating my headband mod 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back