The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Jun 20, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,097 of 1,132
  I found out the problem with the headband extender. Apparently the cheap white soft plastic that is basically the sliding mechanism and what keeps the headband inside the cup is the problem. There is a single screw that holds that all together and it goes directly into the plastic. The hole in the plastic is stripped. It won't tighten only loosen. Movement of the headband makes it even more loose and the hole more stripped.

So far my experience with this headphone has really been a mixed bag. I love the design, looks, and most importantly the sound especially with different pads, but the annoyance with the shipping delay, now noticing this mess up that obviously happened during manufacturing, has really been a pain in the ass. I've had the headphones for only 2 weeks. Barely got to enjoy them, been treating them gingerly and everything. I'm just really annoyed and need to vent.

I just don't understand how German Maestro put all these elements together to make and market a "nearly indestructible" headphone and put such a cheap piece of soft plastic that needs to be screwed in of all things on the ONLY moving mechanism in the whole construction.  You remove that screw once it's getting stripped cause the plastic in the hole gets razored off by the screw and you see all the shavings. Not good at all. What an oversight.

The only thing positive I can say about this is that if my retailer can get the plastic part sent to me from the distributor, it should be an easy fix with no need to ship them back for repair. However, I now lost a lot of confidence in the product feeling this might be a consistent issue with the life of the headphone, having to replace these cheap plastic parts as often as having to replace the cheapest leatherette ear pads or something.

Anyways, this thread is mostly just about the positives of this headphone, and I want to make people realize that despite the marketing and reputation, it definitely has it's flaws and weaknesses. 

So just to recap, if you notice the headband tension is now gone and there is a little more play in the cups, you probably have the same issue. It's probably not the mechanism just getting some wear and getting loose. It's NOT breaking in, it's plain breaking. It's most likely the soft plastic has gotten stripped and needs to be replaced.

Did you got the parts, can you post some pics of the issue you having?

Any news from GM?

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,098 of 1,132

Did you got the parts, can you post some pics of the issue you having?

Any news from GM?

I don't really think pics could really relate the problem. You  have replaced the piece of plastic with the logo on the ear cups before right? Did you notice that behind that logo is a piece of rubber flap with a circle cut out in the centre and you can see white plastic and the end of a screw within there? That white plastic part is basically the headband extension mechanism.

The metal headband slides into the white plastic part. The screw is what holds everything together and provides that really tight tension when you extend and contract the headband. That white plastic part came stripped from the factory so there is no way to tighten it and it can only loosen. Movement of the headband just makes things worse.  

Where things are right now, the distributor is sending the retailer a whole new brand new headphone to send out to me. GM has not yet confirmed nor denied whether the distributor is a trusted one that they deal with. I talked to the distributor on the phone and they seemed to know what they were talking about as well as seemed to know who I was dealing with in GM through E-mails (Oliver) as well as another GM employee whose name I have seen in this thread before but don't remember. Possibly Mathew or Thomas?  

There are still a couple questions hanging in the balance: 1) Why did I receive a headphone with no serial numbers? 2) Why is German Maestro saying they have no distributors from Canada nor distributors that deal with Canada, yet this distributor is a Canadian company? 3) Do other people who have this headphone have the serial numbers that GM is talking about, had the same issue with the headband, or have missing serials like I do?

All in all this has been the worst and most frustrating experience I have ever had dealing with a product I purchased. Never had to do so much digging and following up on things and communicating back and forth between companies to straighten things out. I still very much like the headphones although. It's just sucks I was the guy to fall into this perfect storm of ******** that still makes little sense to me.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,099 of 1,132

I don't really think pics could really relate the problem. You  have replaced the piece of plastic with the logo on the ear cups before right? Did you notice that behind that logo is a piece of rubber flap with a circle cut out in the centre and you can see white plastic and the end of a screw within there? That white plastic part is basically the headband extension mechanism.

The metal headband slides into the white plastic part. The screw is what holds everything together and provides that really tight tension when you extend and contract the headband. That white plastic part came stripped from the factory so there is no way to tighten it and it can only loosen. Movement of the headband just makes things worse.  

Where things are right now, the distributor is sending the retailer a whole new brand new headphone to send out to me. GM has not yet confirmed nor denied whether the distributor is a trusted one that they deal with. I talked to the distributor on the phone and they seemed to know what they were talking about as well as seemed to know who I was dealing with in GM through E-mails (Oliver) as well as another GM employee whose name I have seen in this thread before but don't remember. Possibly Mathew or Thomas?  

There are still a couple questions hanging in the balance: 1) Why did I receive a headphone with no serial numbers? 2) Why is German Maestro saying they have no distributors from Canada nor distributors that deal with Canada, yet this distributor is a Canadian company? 3) Do other people who have this headphone have the serial numbers that GM is talking about, had the same issue with the headband, or have missing serials like I do?

All in all this has been the worst and most frustrating experience I have ever had dealing with a product I purchased. Never had to do so much digging and following up on things and communicating back and forth between companies to straighten things out. I still very much like the headphones although. It's just sucks I was the guy to fall into this perfect storm of ******** that still makes little sense to me.

Well, I'm glad to know your Canadian distributor taking a good care of you as should be and you're getting soon a new pair of headphones. About the serial number I lost the box and I'm not sure I had one and this never bothered me anyway.

The other guy at GM is Thomas, a super nice dude. As far as I'm aware from this thread and others threads here on head-fi the GM team always reply to their emails and they're taking a great care of their customers. I hope the storm will clear soon and you'll have a blast!

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,100 of 1,132
Well, I'm glad to know your Canadian distributor taking a good care of you as should be and you're getting soon a new pair of headphones. About the serial number I lost the box and I'm not sure I had one and this never bothered me anyway.

The other guy at GM is Thomas, a super nice dude. As far as I'm aware from this thread and others threads here on head-fi the GM team always reply to their emails and they're taking a great care of their customers. I hope the storm will clear soon and you'll have a blast!

Yeah everything should be settled soon as far as the headphone. I doubt I will get thorough answers to any questions though. It's clear that dealings and communication between German Maestro and their distributors needs to be tightened cause there is an obvious disconnect when no one is on the same page and not even something such as serial numbers or the need to have them to get service are consistent.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,101 of 1,132
German Maestro E-mailed me today and put the important things to rest. They spoke with and verified that the Canadian Distributor Euro Products is legitimate and someone they deal with. That means of course that Canada does have an official distributor of German Maestro products. I spoke with them personally and they seem like very nice upstanding individuals.

Huge relief that things are set straight now! Can't wait to get the new set and fingers crossed they have no issues.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,102 of 1,132
I just got my replacement pair of 8.35 D this morning. There are differences. The box is slightly different. I got serial numbers on both the box and the headphones. This time I got the sheet of paper that has info. about the other HP's the company makes, which I didn't before. Everything looks right.

The sound is different. My other 8.35 D were very temperamental and behaved quite differently from song to song. Especially when it came to things like soundstage and how they reacted to compression and limiting. These aren't quite like that. The basic sound signature is about the same though. Many of my sound impressions that I detailed in previous posts don't apply to this new pair.

My 1st pair were manufactured in 2009, these seem to be a newer iteration. I'm guessing that has to do with all the minor differences.

There is a problem with these ones as well. The left channel has a buzz with certain bass tones. I had a look, no hairs or anything of the sort. When the pads were off I had a listen without them on and it was weird if I positioned my ear applying pressure to specific spots the buzz sound was gone. 

Anyways, I think I'm done with these. I think if I got a non defective pair these would be some of the best headphones for the money, but 2 defective pairs in a row, I just can't do it anymore.  

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,103 of 1,132
  I just got my replacement pair of 8.35 D this morning. There are differences. The box is slightly different. I got serial numbers on both the box and the headphones. This time I got the sheet of paper that has info. about the other HP's the company makes, which I didn't before. Everything looks right.

The sound is different. My other 8.35 D were very temperamental and behaved quite differently from song to song. Especially when it came to things like soundstage and how they reacted to compression and limiting. These aren't quite like that. The basic sound signature is about the same though. Many of my sound impressions that I detailed in previous posts don't apply to this new pair.

My 1st pair were manufactured in 2009, these seem to be a newer iteration. I'm guessing that has to do with all the minor differences.

There is a problem with these ones as well. The left channel has a buzz with certain bass tones. I had a look, no hairs or anything of the sort. When the pads were off I had a listen without them on and it was weird if I positioned my ear applying pressure to specific spots the buzz sound was gone. 

Anyways, I think I'm done with these. I think if I got a non defective pair these would be some of the best headphones for the money, but 2 defective pairs in a row, I just can't do it anymore.  

What a bummer!

What are you going to do now, are you going to ask back for the first pair, do the second pair have a different pads?

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,104 of 1,132

What a bummer!

What are you going to do now, are you going to ask back for the first pair, do the second pair have a different pads?

Both pairs have the exact same pads. The issue happens when the pads are off too. Actually, it's a little worse when the pads are off. BTW this second headphone was manufactured in 2010, so it's basically another dead stock pair.

At this point, I asked for a refund. After 2 pairs in a row that are faulty I'm quite done. Each time I send these back it adds to the total cost, and I just want to cut my losses before I end up paying an additional $100 in total just to secure a perfect pair. Not to mention my time being wasted going through all this. It's getting to the point where it's not worth it. I've spent more time waiting and being frustrated with the headphones than actually enjoying and using them.

The seller wanted me to contact German Maestro first and see what they say. I E-mailed them 2 days ago, no response. The seller wants to try and avoid a restocking fee, that I guess would come out of my refund, so wants confirmation first that they are defective. Another waiting game.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,106 of 1,132
  hello

i have a pair of 8.35d. looking to buy a beyerdynamic like 8.35d. wanting little bit extra bass. which beyer may i choose? 770, 880, 990? and which ohm?

I would say, get dt 250/250
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #1,109 of 1,132

DT250/250: cleaner mids, maybe even better articulated; claustrophobic soundstage, more bass. That's as far as I remember using portable source
IMHO, daps are useless for both

Thanks! I have been told about the bass and the claustrophobic soundstage and this what make me loss on those hp. More bass with clear mids can be interesting for some (lot of close cans can do more bass anyway), but if used for studio, for me I got enough bass from the 8.35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back