The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Apr 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,037 of 1,132
I put dual mini XLR on mine, could use them balanced now, but I use a Forza Audio Works Claire HPC MKII SE cable with them, really brings out a little more warmth as I use Velour pads which take away some lows.

I also punched 3 holes in the back of the driver, be very careful if you attempt to do this, as the driver is very close to the holes and you could damage the driver very easily.
Doesn't punching 3 holes in the back of the driver kind of damage it?

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,038 of 1,132

We should see about the durability of the new coiled cable, only time will tell. The plastic shell /tube on the new cable is more flexible compare to the old one. The old cable hold it for 6-7 years and in the last 5 years those hps has been all over the hot Israeli desert almost any weekend. In this period of the last 5 years of outdoor Israeli desert trance parties I was able to destroyed 3 good pairs of sport shows because of the high temperature and the crazy changes in the temperatures between the night and the day, so let say those hps holding up very very well.

Fair enough, it seems like you really put the headphones through some extreme use over the years and others have mentioned not having any issues with the cables.

I read on some other forum, in which I'm not a member, that German Maestro replied to a member's E-mail in regards to the differences between the 8.35 D and the 8.300. The E-mail stated that the 8.35 D is more for "Monitoring" and that the 8.300 is more suitable for a "final mix." What exactly does this mean in terms of the sound differences between them? What are all the differences between the two? I've also read somewhere that the 8.300 is as easy to drive from a portable player as the 8.35 D. Is this true?

I've read a lot of opposing opinions of these (as is normal for any product) and I've read comments about the 8.xxx not really being an audiophile or studio grade headphone in terms of sound quality. That they are more or less focused on being durable and for field use. What are people's opinions who have used them for studio use? How well do mixes translate? Do the ATH-M50's out perform the 8.xxx for studio use?

With all the mods that people seem to do with these, I get the impression that it is a product that they aren't as happy with as they seem to indicate verbally in reviews. I tend to think that something that gets modded a lot and constantly by many people just doesn't satisfy on it's own. I'm not a person that wants to get into modding to be satisfied with a product. I want to be happy with it as is.  Not interested in trying out a plethora of pads, cables, and re-wiring and such. I kind of want something I can just buy and get to work on learning them and doing mixes. Are the shortcomings really that bad without modding?

Lastly, My ears are on the average to smaller than average scale for an adult male. They measure about 6.5 cm in length and about 4 cm in width, so is the opening on the regular pads that come with the 8.35 D going to be completely around the ear for me? 

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,040 of 1,132
To answer some of your points:
* IIRC the 8.300 has more neutral response (but that's long agi I have listened to them) while the 8.35 has more than neutral bass.
* they are designed with durabilitiy in mind. That of course is no bad thing for professional studios, where the phones are a tool and used a lot. At the moment there is a guy selling over 50 units of a MB Quart predecessor on German eBay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Studioauflosung-MB-Quart-QP-805-Stereo-Kopfhorer-QP-805-QP805-Bulk-Getestet-/201280592650 They have been used in a studio

The issues I have with my 8.35:
* sometimes I'd prefer less bass but that depends on my mood
* I don't like the ear pads on the 8.35. I don't think they are really over ear for anyone. I just live with it now, because for me they (at the moment) offer the best sound/fit of all tested pads

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,041 of 1,132
  Most people mod for practicality, I use a different cable for portable and home use.

Stock they are flat and quite boring sounding, but also a little 2d sounding. They are better than M50's for editing though, as those are all over the place frequency wise. The GMP 8.35D are durable and stock they sound very flat albeit a little warm.

I would class them as studio grade, they do not require modding, but pads can be a good upgrade.

regarding your ears, I don't know if they'll fit over or on, I no longer have the stock pads

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone still has the original pads and would care to help with measuring the opening that would be great. I currently have Audio Professionals velour pads on my ATH-M50. The opening is about 5cm in length, just under 4 cm in width, and 2cm in depth. They are completely around the ear for me. I don't really feel anything touching my ear, so around this size works great for me. 

Edit: I found the pads on the German Maestro website. The opening on the 8.35 pads measures the same as the opening on the pads I'm currently using, so the pads should be fully over ear for me.
  To answer some of your points:
* IIRC the 8.300 has more neutral response (but that's long agi I have listened to them) while the 8.35 has more than neutral bass.
* they are designed with durabilitiy in mind. That of course is no bad thing for professional studios, where the phones are a tool and used a lot. At the moment there is a guy selling over 50 units of a MB Quart predecessor on German eBay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Studioauflosung-MB-Quart-QP-805-Stereo-Kopfhorer-QP-805-QP805-Bulk-Getestet-/201280592650 They have been used in a studio

The issues I have with my 8.35:
* sometimes I'd prefer less bass but that depends on my mood
* I don't like the ear pads on the 8.35. I don't think they are really over ear for anyone. I just live with it now, because for me they (at the moment) offer the best sound/fit of all tested pads

Thanks for the reply. $55 Euros is definitely a good deal! That steel cable looks serious! haha

I'm definitely trying to find a good balance between durability and studio grade sound. This is also a headphone I plan on taking with me while travelling if I do decide to purchase it. Definitely not knocking a focus on durability, just want to make sure the SQ is equally there.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,042 of 1,132
  I've read a lot of opposing opinions of these (as is normal for any product) and I've read comments about the 8.xxx not really being an audiophile or studio grade headphone in terms of sound quality.

The GMP 8.300 is in my opinion a audiophile headphone. I tremendously enjoy music with these ones. They are on par with my DT150 and ZMF and better than my K272. They deliver everything you want from a headphone, and decent isolation to boot.
But I had to switch to other pads (HM5 at the moment) because the stock pads are too small, and I put some felt in front of the driver. More modding is not needed IMO.
I sold a lot of headphones for various reasons, but the GMP 8.300 is here to stay.

I doubt if the above mentioned QP 805 is the same headphone as the GMP 8.300D.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,043 of 1,132

Fair enough, it seems like you really put the headphones through some extreme use over the years and others have mentioned not having any issues with the cables.

I read on some other forum, in which I'm not a member, that German Maestro replied to a member's E-mail in regards to the differences between the 8.35 D and the 8.300. The E-mail stated that the 8.35 D is more for "Monitoring" and that the 8.300 is more suitable for a "final mix." What exactly does this mean in terms of the sound differences between them? What are all the differences between the two? I've also read somewhere that the 8.300 is as easy to drive from a portable player as the 8.35 D. Is this true?

I've read a lot of opposing opinions of these (as is normal for any product) and I've read comments about the 8.xxx not really being an audiophile or studio grade headphone in terms of sound quality. That they are more or less focused on being durable and for field use. What are people's opinions who have used them for studio use? How well do mixes translate? Do the ATH-M50's out perform the 8.xxx for studio use?

With all the mods that people seem to do with these, I get the impression that it is a product that they aren't as happy with as they seem to indicate verbally in reviews. I tend to think that something that gets modded a lot and constantly by many people just doesn't satisfy on it's own. I'm not a person that wants to get into modding to be satisfied with a product. I want to be happy with it as is.  Not interested in trying out a plethora of pads, cables, and re-wiring and such. I kind of want something I can just buy and get to work on learning them and doing mixes. Are the shortcomings really that bad without modding?

Lastly, My ears are on the average to smaller than average scale for an adult male. They measure about 6.5 cm in length and about 4 cm in width, so is the opening on the regular pads that come with the 8.35 D going to be completely around the ear for me? 

I didn't had any experience with the 8.300, but here you can see some sound FR graphs, http://www.head-fi.org/t/725214/german-maestro-gmp-8-35d-vs-gmp-8-300d

About the people mods, I think is great to explore a different versions of a sound that you like and this probably the only way to get a first hand experience and to perfect your own personal test and need. This way I was able to find out that I prefer the oval pads, in the end is all about personal preference and what you like and what will work for you best in the studio.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,045 of 1,132
I didn't had any experience with the 8.300, but here you can see some sound FR graphs, http://www.head-fi.org/t/725214/german-maestro-gmp-8-35d-vs-gmp-8-300d

About the people mods, I think is great to explore a different versions of a sound that you like and this probably the only way to get a first hand experience and to perfect your own personal test and need. This way I was able to find out that I prefer the oval pads, in the end is all about personal preference and what you like and what will work for you best in the studio.

The 8.300 does certainly look a lot more neutral. Does using the oval pads on the 8.35 D even out the response significantly? Do both of these models come with the same cable?

There should be mentioned that in rare cases 8.300 can hurt your ears due to rough protective net. It becomes unbearable during long sessions
I gave up after 10-15 minutes or so

Is this protective net attached to the ear pads? Will getting a diffirent pair solve this issue?

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,047 of 1,132
The 8.300 does certainly look a lot more neutral. Does using the oval pads on the 8.35 D even out the response significantly? Do both of these models come with the same cable?
Is this protective net attached to the ear pads? Will getting a diffirent pair solve this issue?

8.35: coiled cable
8.300: straight cable.

That net disc is not attached to the earpads. You can replace it with whatever you like to cover the drivers.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,048 of 1,132
  8.35: coiled cable
8.300: straight cable.

That net disc is not attached to the earpads. You can replace it with whatever you like to cover the drivers.

As far as I know GMP have two types of dust cover/net, the first one is net look like type and the sound is very flat and balanced (Yamaha NS-10 studio monitors type of flat sound). The second dust cover/net is made of foam and it's much thicker compare to the first one and the sound is a bit more bassy and warm both nets I've own and used with the oval pads.

May 1, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,049 of 1,132
Yet another person here looking to buy a pair of HM5 pads.
At first I was looking at the velour ones, but I probably get the pleather ones now.
I've seen some discussion here on the thick vs the regular pads, but what's the consensus on it now?
Seems like the thick ones would be more comfortable, but I've read some things about a large reduction in bass?
Last question, do the regular ones still fit the 8.35D? Since I read somewhere a couple of pages back that they reduced the size?

Thanks! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back